Seeds on hamburger buns and ileostomy bags: Safe to eat?

Replies
Views
mdls1608

Quick question... Hamburger like from Burger King or other places that make their hamburgers with seeds on the bun... Is that okay to eat with an ileostomy bag... Will the seeds come out of the stoma or clog it up?

AlexT

They come out. I try to avoid them but I forget sometimes. For me, it's just annoying to see them in the bag and I'll rinse the bag out with warm water.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,438 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

I can eat them without any problems. Just try them for yourself. It's the only way to find out if it's okay for you to eat.

w30bob

Hi mdls,

As with most things on here, it depends why you have a bag in the first place. The seeds are non-digestible fiber, so if you're okay with that there shouldn't be any problems. If you have IBD and have any stricturing, narrowing or diverticulitis....stay clear of things that come out whole. Fiber can also irritate the bowel, so if yours is already irritated.....more won't help.

;o)

Bob

Morning glory

Try them but don't go overboard. I can eat them. I don't eat them often but had one last week.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Xerxes

I have never had a problem with them.

Xerxes

ron in mich

Hi all, I've had my ileo for 30 some years and seeds have never bothered me, but if I was to eat a handful of peanuts now, that's a different story.

countyclare

Greetings,

I've been eating buns with sesame seeds on them for years.

I've never had any problems with the buns,

Good luck. Mike from Lakewood, Ohio

zackpatjunior

The few seeds on buns will go right through. It's too many handfuls of cashews that will clog you up. If you do that, go to an ER so they can monitor the passing of so much. They can always irrigate backwards through your stoma.

Think of corn

drums_weights_ileostomy

I've never really had an issue. One of my guilty pleasures is a sesame seed bagel with lox and cream cheese. I eat one almost every day. No problems. I've had an ileostomy since 1971.

gary S.

Should not be a problem, but be sure to drink plenty of fluids when eating the hamburger buns.

Chiquis

No problem with the sesame seeds but ended up in the hospital after eating Chinese food. Blockage due to adhesions and scar tissue. In addition to 4 bowel surgeries, I also had a c-section. All of that adds up to more scar tissue and potential for blockages.

rexlor

It's okay to eat seeds like those in burger buns, but they won't be digested well and you'll see them in your bag. I've tried quite a lot of different fiber-rich foods that I've seen come out undigested: corn, leafy vegetables, peanuts, brown/red rice. Annoying, but they rinse out well.

Monsieur Le President

I'm okay with most things, including most types of nuts, but I avoid fresh coconut as I once got completely blocked after eating a lot after I won one at a fair!

Corn tends to come out similar to the way it went in.

AgentSmith

After getting a life-threatening blockage, I avoid anything raw, seeds, nuts, etc. I always substitute for bread without seeds by telling them I have an allergy, then they take it seriously and are happy to help.

Immarsh

Hi, my name is Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy for nearly 60 years... Much like what others have said, the sesame seeds on a bun or bagel have never been an issue, but like all things, digestion can change over time... I've always been able to eat most fiber, like nuts, corn... salads, but have avoided raw celery, carrots, and cabbage.... The first year I had an ileostomy, I was baking a Jewish pastry (hamantashen) for a holiday... (Purim) One of the fillings we used was "poppy seeds".. Hadn't had a problem with a poppy seed bagel, (which is just a handful), the the spoonful, in the pastry did cause a problem.. (severe pain, cramps..) I lived in Brooklyn, and my Dr. was in NYC, and wanted me to come in, not go to the hospital. So my mother and I took the train into the city.. The doctor wanted me to remove the pouch, and he then pressed around on my belly.... Along with a lot of gas, "guess what" came shooting out of my stoma like "pellets".... You guessed... Lot's and lots of poppy seeds, everywhere!!! What a mess... No more poppy seeds for me... Once at an ostomy conference in NYC, they served coconut ice cream for dessert.... Hmmm, not a good idea.. That night, the hotel dr. had a lot of calls. So many people had blockages from the coconut. I've never had coconut since then.... Best advice.....try small amounts of a questionable food, chew well, and drink plenty of fluids.... Marsha

papaboo

I have a colostomy and have been afraid of the seeds but most burger places will put a bottom part of the bun on top if you ask.