Sitting Backwards: A Better Way to Empty?

Replies
Views
Marco789

I know it sounds funny, but I much prefer to sit on the toilet backwards when emptying my pouch. It gives me 3 advantages.

It gives me more room to empty and clean up, as I don't have a toilet tank against my back.
It allows me to better control where the output lands in the toilet, so I can keep the splashing to a minimum.
It makes irrigation so much easier because I can set my water container on top of the toilet tank.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this... Have you tried it, does it help?

Cheers, mates

Beth22

Hi there,

So I have tried 3 different ways sitting forward and backward on the toilet, and that squat stand type way which I used to only do in public and was fine until one day I was in a stall with the automatic flush haha. But I found for me sitting facing forward works best for me. I have more room to lean forward to empty and not as deep water in the toilet so I don't get splashing lol.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Marco, I sit the regular way and don't get splashing as I put a few squares of toilet paper in the toilet first. Also, the poop doesn't stick to the bowl then.

dmo101

Never really thought of this.

I sit the normal way (flush tank to my back).

I think if I sat with flush tank to my front I would need to completely remove my pants and underwear.

I do sit more to the back and off to the left side, not square on like a non-ostomy person.

To prevent splashing, I throw in 3-4 squares of TP up in the front portion of the toilet bowl. This really helps prevent splashing.

Craig

HenryM

I don't sit.  My toilet water does not cover the whole inside surface of the bowl, so that's my drop zone.  Years ago, I used to kneel in front of the bowl to empty, but then I developed camel knee.  So I just stand before the bowl and let it go.  My aim is good so I don't worry about it.  

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
AlexT

I kneel down 99.9% of the time.

SallyK

In one of my other support groups, someone had mentioned sitting on a stool the same height as the toilet (facing the toilet) to empty as they had bad knees. I might try this.

Meadow Snow

I just sit the regular way, but then toilets over here in the UK aren't drowning in water like they do over in the US, so I don't have to worry about splash back. I've tried sitting backwards but I didn't like it. Most of the time I'm also going for a wee as well anyway, so I might as well just sit regular!

w30bob

Hmm... and I thought all the boys just kneeled. Go figure. My stoma is belly button level, so kneeling works best for me. Never even considered sitting the regular way or backwards... but maybe someday I'll try sitting backwards and leave the door open... just to amaze the boys at work. Kneeling seemed like the obvious solution for me, although I do have a lot of jeans with a hole in my right knee... which gives me an endless supply of jean shorts for the summertime. But maybe I should see if Sears still makes those Toughskin jeans, like back when I was a kid. Just gotta love being an ostomate... what adventures!!

;O)

Bill

This is an interesting thread!
A long time ago I had difficuly stting in the ‘normal position because there was not enough room in front of me to perform efficiently. My solution was to purchase a toilet seat that simply removed by pressing two buttons on the hinges. I then replacved the conventional seat with a DIY ‘tailormade soft covered plank , which mean that I could sit a full 9 inches further back. Thois worked well for a while, until I started having problems with output whilst irrigating. What I found was that If I stood up and put my left leg on the rim of the toilet the process of expulsion was much more efficient.
I have no idea why this should be so, and I’ve tried the same thing with the other leg and it doesn’t work at all.
 I think it’s great to experiment with these sorts of things until we find something that suits our needs. What I have also found is that wearing a boiler suit allows me to fully open up the front without taking it off to do everything that is necessary. This is so convenient and more comfortable than disrobing.

Keep up the good work fellow ostomates!

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member
Reply to Meadow Snow

Welcome back Meadow Snow, wondered where you'd got to!

I sit the regular way too (think if I sat backwards I'd overbalance onto the floor and that wouldn't be pretty). And agree about the high-tide mark on US toilets, first time I used one after a long flight I couldn't believe that my bladder could hold THAT much fluid, LOL! Australian loos just have a bit of water at the bottom so no splashback down here either.

Also like you No. 1 time = No. 2 time so no problems!

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

I figured since you were down under, you'd have to empty upside down or something.

Meadow Snow
Reply to Anonymous

I don't have a good reason for abandoning you, I'm afraid. I've been doing a lot of job hunting and just forgot about MaO, so I ghosted you all. I'm a poltergeist, me! My Barbie butt surgery in March has healed nicely. Now I just need a job to do!

SallyK
Reply to Meadow Snow

A meadow snow ghost! It is almost Halloween! Glad you are haunting MaO again!

Marco789
Reply to SallyK

I may as well! Thank you

Marco789
Reply to AlexT

Hahaha

AlexT
Reply to Meadow Snow

At least you're okay, that's all that matters.

Homie With A Stomie NS

I sit just like I used to, maybe a little wider leg spread, but I'm a sitter whilst emptying my shitter. Lol

margueritelewis990
Reply to ron in mich

Yes, forward is better for me. I line the bowl with tissue. There's not a lot of water sitting forward, but the tissue acts as an absorbent for the falling output, and a wiper in the toilet too. Less splashing going on around the rims, for me, it's neater, and less having to get up and swab things away every time I empty it.

w30bob
Reply to SallyK

Not too long ago... or maybe it was long ago now... someone on here was looking hard for a Japanese ostomy sink. I wonder if they ever found one. Might be something we could all use as we get older and the knees don't cooperate as well. Anybody know if they found their sink??

;O)

AlexT
Reply to w30bob

Haven't heard if he found one or not.

rmdec

I stand and face the toilet tank. I have a heavy output which is watery and sometimes bloody, and I need to empty frequently. I heard a great tip from a fellow Aussie Ostomate who said to pull off a longish piece of TP, lift the lid, and drape it so one end is in the water and the other goes outside the bowl as a lining. Then let the bag empty along the line of TP to avoid splashing. It works well for me.

OldCrohnie
Reply to HenryM

I also stand to empty

GaryPC

I actually kneel on one knee. Like a quarterback taking a knee. Very easy to empty onto a couple of sheets of TP. Then stand to v clean the opening. Been doing it for five years now. I'm 6'3" so maybe that makes it easier.

AlexT
Reply to GaryPC

Pretty much the same way I do it, except no toilet paper in the bowl

Daria Luna

I am new to all this, have an ileostomy, and I sit facing the back of the toilet. At home, I have to drop my pants to my ankles to straddle the toilet. I've tried just keeping my pants up and sitting but am concerned about back splash on my clothing. The reason it's easier for me to face the tank is because I have more room to empty and it's easier to reach to flush. I tried it standing, but my output is quite thick sometimes and can get messy, so I stick with facing the tank. But it's difficult in a public restroom because, before my ileostomy, I NEVER sat on a public toilet, just kind of squatted over it. Now I carry a tiny disinfecting spray and clean the seat thoroughly. I'm unable to carry a decent sized purse, so I'd appreciate any tips from others on public bathroom use.

AlexT
Reply to Daria Luna

Tall enough to kneel? If your output is thick, put a little warm water in your bag, close it, squish it around a little, then empty. I do that nearly every time I go.

Daria Luna
Reply to AlexT

I'm only 5'1" but I like the idea of putting some water in my bag to loosen the output. Now I'm going to see if I can kneel and empty. Thank you.

Daria Luna
Reply to rmdec

Great idea! I'll try this

Marco789
Reply to Daria Luna

Your method makes sense, but it's better for me to leave my underwear on, since I have body parts which, umm, hang down in front.

But I much prefer to sit facing the tank... so much more room to empty that way! Have you tried emptying the water from the bowl first? Works excellent for me. :)