Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
28,358 members
Next >

Thick ileostomy output

This is the best website for people with an Ostomy. So much understanding.

Thanks guys. As always very helpful!!!!

Need suggestions for what to eat to thin ileostomy output. I know lettuce makes it pretty liquid. Anything else?

Last edited by Doe1mama on Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Milk products do it for me.

MeetAnOstoMate - 28,358 members

lots of water, hot coffee and hot tea. i tend to stay very far away from lettuce

I found this several months ago on the Coloplast.co.uk website, and I still refer to it sometimes

edit: here’s the link to the page 

https://www.coloplast.co.uk/Global/UK/Stoma/Dietary-Advice-for-Ostomates.pdf

I can attest to the popcorn, that was painful until the dam broke. 

Somewhere on this site I read grape juice (for blockage) so I keep a bottle on hand just in case.  
it’s yummy tho so do not get addicted to it🥹

AlexT wrote:

I can attest to the popcorn, that was painful until the dam broke. 

I’ve found that I sometimes need to be careful with cornflour (cornstarch for you Americans). Coz too much in the meal can block you up a bit. 

Bananas, rice and quinoa. Be careful that the quinoa is cooked thoroughly before it enters your body.  I made it at home once and didn't cook it enough. It continued to expand in my intestines and sent me to the hospital overnight with a blockage that, luckily, unblocked with minimum treatment.

Along with others have said hot tea ,milk , apple juice thins me out, and ginger ale helps me too 

Hi all lottsa good suggestions but anything carbonated does it for me.  

NancyCat wrote:

lots of water, hot coffee and hot tea. i tend to stay very far away from lettuce

My dr told me to not eat salads.. so I don't eat anything green leafy.. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.