Need suggestions to thin ileostomy output. Besides lettuce, what else can I eat?

Replies
Views
Doe1mama

Thanks, guys. As always, very helpful!!!!

Need suggestions for what to eat to thin ileostomy output. I know lettuce makes it pretty liquid. Anything else?

HenryM

Milk products do it for me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NancyCat

Lots of water, hot coffee, and hot tea. I tend to stay very far away from lettuce.

Meadow Snow

I found this several months ago on the Coloplast.co.uk website, and I still refer to it sometimes.

Edit: Here's the link to the page.

https://www.coloplast.co.uk/Global/UK/Stoma/Dietary-Advice-for-Ostomates.pdf

AlexT

I can attest to the popcorn, that was painful until the dam broke.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe

Somewhere on this site, I read about grape juice (for blockage), so I keep a bottle on hand just in case.
It's yummy though, so do not get addicted to it.

Meadow Snow
Reply to AlexT

I've found that I sometimes need to be careful with cornflour (cornstarch for you Americans). Because too much in the meal can block you up a bit.

eefyjig

Bananas, rice, and quinoa. Be careful that the quinoa is cooked thoroughly before it enters your body. I made it at home once and didn't cook it enough. It continued to expand in my intestines and sent me to the hospital overnight with a blockage that, luckily, unblocked with minimum treatment.

Beth22

Along with what others have said, hot tea, milk, apple juice thins me out, and ginger ale helps me too.

ron in mich

Hi all, lots of good suggestions, but anything carbonated does it for me.

Renfromtexas
Reply to NancyCat

My doctor told me not to eat salads, so I don't eat anything green or leafy.