Affordable Stoma Guard Options

In this discussion
Replies
Views
ostiboy

Has anyone found a good stoma guard at a fair price? Most better ones I've seen have outrageous prices like the StomaShield Stoma Guard at $99.00.
This is a piece of plastic, foam pads, and an elastic band. They probably cost the company under $3.50 landed from China.
Talk about corporate greed!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Well, the way it's built, I'm guessing it's a once-in-a-lifetime buy. Most things made are outrageously priced for what they cost to actually make.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello ostiboy.

I agree with you about the cost of these things – and most things that are medical. For the person who need to purchase such items the costs seem ridiculously high. However, I also agree with Alex, who rightly points out that one-off or rarely bought items tend to be expensive because of the development costs compared with the likely return in profits.

Here is the dilemma: If we want or need research and development, then ‘someone’ needs to pay for it.
As a potential ‘user’ of such items, I would never be able to afford to purchase them myself so, my answer is to design and make them myself. (usually out of whatever might be available in my ‘shed’).

I’ve mentioned before that I make my own base plates; I have also made my own pressurised water dispenser for irrigation out of an old garden sprayer, both of which have worked perfectly well for years. Stoma-guards are no different in this respect, as long as you know what it is you want from them. Plastic is really easy to mould into almost any shape when gently heated, so all you need to do is make a mould to melt it around. However, I have found that fibreglass tends to be easier to work with when experimenting because you can get a basic shape and add bits to it afterwards if you think of something better.  Not to be daunted by making stuff one’s self, very often what you are looking for is possibly/probably being used in some other capacity, and as long as you know what shape it is (I draw it out), then you can keep an eye out for such a shape in the many plastic containers and devices in the supermarkets and DIY stores.

I have a perfectly adequate stoma guard which is a simple addition to my baseplates, and that is a 90% water waste bend, which fits onto a short piece of appropriate pipe attached to the baseplate. This device, not only safeguards the stoma, but it guides the output away from the stoma and into the container (bag or sleeve whichever I’m wearing at the time). It cost next to nothing to make in terms of materials, but if I was to count my thinking/designing/development/searching and DIY time the costs would rise astronomically.

Alternatively, if you are lucky enough to have a charitable ‘engineering’ group nearby (as we have in our town), then you could explain the problem and ask if they might make you whatever you require.

These groups are usually made up of retired engineers and DIYers who love a ‘challenge’ for a good cause. My own expertise has been in reconditioning/recycling wheelchairs, which are not always available on the NHS. It is surprising how many people/carers need a wheelchair for the people they care for, but they cannot afford to buy a new one, and sometimes they only want to borrow one for a holiday or day’s shopping trip.

I hope you manage to resolve your needs soon.

Best wishes

Bill       

HenryM

As a lifelong cheapskate, I empathize with your aggravation over the cost of stuff.  But there's another aspect to the matter of a stoma guard.  While I'm sure that some people feel the need to wear one, I have had an ileostomy since 1964, have never had or used a stoma guard, and have never had an incident when I would have needed the protection.  I lived a normal life in terms of activity and, tho' I avoided contact sports, I have played softball, jogged, worked out with weights, etc.  I've had pets and children.  I'd be interested in learning from those who wear them why they find it advisable to do so.  

AlexT

Henry, I've explained my reason before but here it is again. When I wear my chest waders duck hunting and carry a bag of decoys on my back, the belt for my waders hits right on my stoma. Add in the extra warm clothing I have on and it can really irritate (my stoma feels bruised) the stoma area. Last fall, my stoma got quite tender from this. We've changed a couple things on how we pack everything in so far this year (I haven't had to backpack decoys in) but now with the migration in full swing, I'll be carrying more decoys and I'll put the guard on. Otherwise, I never wear it.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Marco789

I understand your frustration, and I will say that I was skeptical of the StomaShield. Now after owning one, I say it was worth every penny. I think you should spend the money; just my humble opinion. I have a pic of it in action in my profile if you're interested.

HenryM
Reply to AlexT

What you describe makes perfect sense.  I've just never pursued activities that would have necessitated the protection, I guess.  The closest that I can think of was having my kids jump into my lap, or my cat deciding she has to climb on me in bed to sleep on my chest.  What a bore, eh?  

mild_mannered_super_hero

Why not make your own, you can buy a product called Kydex which is used to make holsters with... I think it is formed by heating it.....how hard could it be

Bill

Hello ostiboy.

In my last reply to this post, I tended to relay those things that I have tried in DIY already. However, it occurred to me that you might be motivated by some simple suggestions that Have sprung to mind:
1) I use a plastic dish device to wash my stoma every morning. this was provided for free from one of the suppliers. However, it struck me that it looks identical to the plastic tub that my prawns are packed in, so that would also be free. It would not be hard to convert it into a stoma guard but might feel a bit flimsy depending on what you envisage using it to protect against. 

2) A tennis ball cut in half and smoothed at the point of dissection with a Blowtorch (or file) would probably be sturdier.

3) I've had a look at some of the containers and bottles that we have purchased recently and there are one or two with indented bases which would make ideal stoma guards. These would have the advantage of already being smooth (rounded) on the edges.

All of these things are readily available and would only need a couple of pinprick holes in either side to take a lug for a belt or two (Depending on your needs). I make my belt-hooks out of the metal picture hooks, which I bend to shape and attach to the elastic belts supplied by Dansac. The picture hooks are much bigger, sturdier and more reliable than the tiny ones that come on their belts and are forever coming loose. 

Best wishes

Bill 

w30bob

Hi osti,

I hate to break it to you, but everything you buy, if you buy it at MSRP, is incredibly overpriced. But 'overpriced' is a relative thing. Every company that's in business is there to make a profit, not to give you a deal. There's also a lot of costs associated with the design, test, and manufacture of a product that the buyer never sees or knows about. Workers continually want their pay to be raised for the same work they do, and overhead costs are a large chunk of the reason prices are so high. Staying in business is a pricey thing, and you always have the freedom not to buy.

And don't think for a second that I like paying what seem like ridiculously high prices for things, but it's not all about greed and being opportunistic. Medical stuff always seems WAAAY overpriced, but the liability of making something people use related to their health is HUGE, not to mention the insurance needed to ensure some litigation-happy customers don't bankrupt the company if not satisfied with the product.

Stoma protectors can be found for less than a hundred bucks, but as Bill discussed, they can be made for almost nothing. I realize some want nothing to do with making anything, and for those folks.........just open up your wallet. But you're paying for that convenience.

In regards to Henry's reply.........I don't wear a stoma guard either, and never have. But there have been a few times I wish I had. If you've ever been thrown from a horse, or kicked by any animal bigger than you.......you know what I mean. There have also been a few times when I've been laying in bed with my pooch and the doorbell rang. She hears that bell she goes bonkers! And in the process will step on me without thinking about it, as all she focuses on is getting to the front door to eat whoever is ringing the damn bell. A well-placed paw pouncing on your stoma will wake you up instantly! I had considered wearing a stoma guard in the past, but unfortunately my best friend is Murphy.......and his law dictates that the few times I didn't wear my stoma guard would be exactly when I would have needed to. So it's a real commitment if you decide to wear one. At least if you want to wear it for 'peace of mind'. For specific activities where you know your stoma most likely will be impacted by something........it's a smart thing to wear. As for the price.........buy one and see if you can make it for half the price and stay in business. I'll buy one!

;O)

provgd

StomaDome: Stoma Guard for Any Ostomy1 StomaDome Security Shield + 52 Velcro Crescents

JamesArnod

If you are using it to protect yourself from seatbelt injury, I suggest you modify your seat belt with a towel or some such thing.

Years ago I actually ordered two of the Fiberglass ones from NY and yes they were very costly. They were NOT comfortable to wear, but did protect my stoma. I believe I tried to modify one of them but, that didn't help. I have never used them again. Wasted nearly 500 Canadian dollars. I have actually never really needed them in 10+ years. So unless you are going to play football my advice is you don't need it. If I think I'm going to do some crazy wild thing I wear my 4" wide belt, as my stoma hernia is quite large (about the size of a large grapefruit cut in half.). Other than that I never wear even a belt as there appears to be no scientific evidence that they do anything to stop growth of hernias. However, I feel better wearing it if I'm doing heavy work. (I also wear a belt the first day that I change my appliance as I think it may improve the adhesion.)

papaboo
Reply to provgd

StomaDome is my pick. You can move it from your bag to your stealth belt or comfort belt easily. I hate wearing all those belts, just one is bad enough.

OU812

Hi. I bought myself something on Amazon called StomaDome - Stoma Guard Security Shield for $60 that actually came with 52 Velcro crescent strips (no belt involved). I love it. The plastic dome (which has an opening at the bottom for easy flow down into the bag) has permanent Velcro on it which you attach the crescent strip to (before you put it on your bag) and then you affix the dome (with the strip already attached) to your bag over the plastic ring area to protect your stoma. The only downside is that you need 1 new crescent strip at every bag change (but you can take off and put on the dome with the same bag as much as you want). Amazon also sells replacement crescent strips when you need more.

Carol N
Reply to OU812

StomaDome is the same thing I used, available on Amazon.

Celia1552
Reply to AlexT

I have an ileostomy located at the bend point, approximately two inches to the right of the navel. Horrible location, but it was supposed to be temporary for seven weeks. It has taken two years for me to heal. Reversal of the loop ileostomy is to be soon. My stoma is barely one-fourth of an inch above skin level. This is what worked for me. For a quick, really cheap stoma guard, save the top of Clorox or Lysol wipes large container. Pull off the top and wash and dry it. Position it flat on a table or counter with the hinge from the lid in an easy or west position. Hold it up over your bag in the stoma area to determine which way you are comfortable opening it if you want to view your stoma. I use clear bags so I can keep an eye on the alien and want to be able to check it just because. The lid stays closed while you are wearing it. Determine the bottom of the lid next. Use scissors to cut about one-fourth of an inch off the bottom of the rim to leave a section for drainage into the bag. Use an ice pick or awl to poke a hole on the left and right (east and west) sides of the rim that will line up with the tabs on the back plate of the bag that a belt tab would go through. Use twist ties to affix the lid to the belt tabs on the bag back plate. Cost? Free! The bag can be emptied without removing the guard. I was constantly smacking the alien every time I carried something. I refused to put money into a guard because this is temporary, alas not as temporary as the surgeon had hoped. (I affectionately named my stoma The Alien after the movie, while I was in the hospital for over a month, IVs feeding me, and on painkillers watching this new being moving around like it had a life of its own. I kept seeing the scene in my head of the alien ripping out of S. Weaver, lol.) I don't know if this will work for you, but it may give you an idea. Best of all to you! Celia1552

Bill
Reply to Celia1552

Thanks Celia1552.
This sounds like a great, creative and practical concept.
Best wishes
Bill