Severe Abdominal Spasms and Colostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
wiljpeters

Has anyone had instances where they've been doing something (working out, cough) where all of a sudden you have a severe muscle spasm in your abdominals? I have recently had occurrences where I was doing something and had such sharp pain in my abs that it dropped me to my knees. The muscles beneath are knotted and rock hard... If I wait, it recedes and the muscles relax. I don't think it's a hernia since there doesn't appear to be a protrusion. This also seems to coincide when my colostomy has low to no output. Thoughts?

AlexT

Pretty sure you can have a hernia and not visibly see it. I've had a few times if I cough and I'm in a certain position, usually sitting, there's pain. If you have low/no output for a day or two, that can cause abdominal pain because it's backing up inside you. I've had it happen twice, a partial blockage, and it's very painful, especially bending. The pain would end if I laid down. As soon as it broke free and I had a lot of output, no more pain.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

wiljpeters
Reply to AlexT

Well, people have often said I'm full of sh!t... so

TerryLT

I have not had anything like this, but I do occasionally get some pain in my abdomen, that I have come to know is gas, and it eventually works its way out. The kind of pain you describe, that drops you to your knees, doesn't sound normal. Do you have an ostomy nurse you could talk to? I haven't had a hernia, but from what I'm told, they usually aren't painful until they get really bad and if the hernia was that advanced, you would definitely know about it!

Terry

SallyK

I have not experienced that, but then again, maybe I partake in different extracurricular activities. 😊 Wonder 😉 Wink 😉

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Will, I get that occasionally when I know I'm about to sneeze. I tense up and hold my ostomy. It's not as severe as to bring me to my knees, but it's a stabbing pain that doesn't last very long.