Allergic Reaction to Brava Protective Sheets - Need Advice

Replies
Views
Teebull

Has anyone tried Brava protective sheets? I seem to be having an allergic reaction to the adhesive. I know they can be used under the wafer to protect the skin. Do I need to completely cover the area under the wafer? I don't even know where to begin but have tried crusting, barrier sprays, etc. Anyone have any experience using the sheets?

Axl

Hello tee

Have you tried Cavilon spray on your skin first? And do you use a seal between your skin and your appliance? And do you use a convex appliance?

https://www.firstaiddistributions.com.au/products/cavilonbarrierfilmnostingspray28ml

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Teebull
Reply to Axl

Axl, I have been using the Cavillon spray for a couple of months. I use it over stoma powder and by itself on areas that don't need crusting. I just can't seem to clear up the skin breakouts. I also use a barrier ring. Painful burning and itching is driving me crazy at times. Willing to try anything but that's the only thing I know of I haven't tried. I use the Sensura Mio bags.

Teebull

Axl, I have been using the Cavillon spray for a couple of months. I use it over stoma powder and by itself on areas that don't need crusting. I just can't seem to clear up the skin breakouts. I also use a barrier ring. Painful burning and itching is driving me crazy at times. Willing to try anything but that's the only thing I know of I haven't tried. I use the Sensura Mio bags.

AlexT

Do you shower without your bag on?

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Axl
Reply to Teebull

You don't say if you use a convex appliance. Everyone has trouble in the beginning until they get the setup that works for them, so you are not alone. When I have had trouble, I only use the Cavilon spray. Less is more and just hit the whole area. Don't be concerned about getting it on the stoma itself and make sure it is dry. Don't try to pinpoint the trouble spots. A seal and convex appliance with an elastic belt. This is what worked for me when I had trouble. Some have also used a piece of micropore tape straight over the damaged skin, then apply the appliance as normal straight over the tape. The appliance will stick to the tape while the tape will give the skin a chance to heal. My setup these days is seal, convex appliance, and belt.

Good luck.

Beth22

Teebull,

Have you always had an allergic reaction to your wafer?

AlexT

Try nasal spray?

Past Member

Hello from Pennsylvania!

I find that if/when my skin is healthy and not irritated, it is best for me to use no products, just put wafer directly on my skin. But I always use adhesive remover when changing the bag to prevent skin irritation.

Teebull
Reply to AlexT

Alex rarely showers with a bag on. If I do, I tape a bag around it to keep it dry.

AlexT
Reply to Teebull

In my opinion, it's really good for your stoma skin area to get cleaned off well and some fresh air on it.

Teebull
Reply to Axl

Axl, I have wondered if I need a slight convex appliance. My stoma isn't very big, protrudes only about 3/4 inch or a bit more. Since my stoma is close enough to my belly button, my skin creases right toward it when I sit or bend, which is my weak area. I will talk to my supplier and get some samples to try that will help. I'd like to try the tape, wonder if that's similar to the Brava protective sheets. Thanks again.

Teebull
Reply to Beth22

I didn't notice it the first few weeks but it has been ongoing for a couple of months. Hoping to try the protective sheets under it. It may partially be fungal in the areas away from my stoma as it is more speckled. I have tried antifungal powder, not much success. Someone suggested using dandruff shampoo as it contains zinc. I'll see next bag change if that helped. Thanks

Teebull
Reply to AlexT

House sitting my grandpups but definitely going to try my Flonase when I get home.

Teebull
Reply to Anonymous

I have heard "less is more," now just to get this cleared up will enable me to do that. Thanks

AlexT
Reply to Teebull

I put Head & Shoulders on every time I shower without a bag on after washing everything off with Dial soap. Let the H&S sit on there for maybe 30 seconds and rinse well. I very rarely get skin irritation.

Celia1552

I was having trouble with the same issues. Called Hollister and they sent me samples of convex bags and thin barrier rings. Also, because my stoma is so close to my navel, it needed additional build-up. I get the Eakin cohesive part 839001 four-inch rings and cut approximately one-half inch around outside of the ring and cut that into four parts...each part is like a crescent. I put on my 2" ring around my stoma and then on the side that sloped towards my navel add a crescent piece from 4" ring beside 2" ring...then put on my bag (I'm using one-piece convex drainable ones now) and add a Hollister Adapt barrier extender on the navel side. I was staying raw and bleeding and itching; it was horrible...but this setup fixed it...bag kept leaking because it couldn't sit level because of closeness to navel. I also cut the remaining circle left from the four-inch ring in half to get two more crescents. When stoma area was really raw, I cleaned it, dried it, sprayed it with Flonase, gently patted excess off, let it air as long as I dared, sprinkled it with Adapt stoma powder, blew off excess with air from empty powder bottle and then reinstalled bag like I described above. Using this system, I don't have to wear a belt. Only had to use Flonase a few times....once I stopped the leakage from happening, I no longer burned and bled and itched....hope this will help you...it took me a while to figure it out but now it's like night and day as far as comfort. Makes it easier to live with the alien until reversal ...Celia1552

Axl
Reply to Teebull

I would definitely try the convex bag. They place a little more pressure against your skin, and get the elastic belt to go with it. Micropore is the paper tape you see in the hospital for fastening tubes, etc. Very common, should find it in your local pharmacy.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/71345/nexcare-micropore-gentle-paper-tape-white-25-4mm-x-9-14m

Teebull
Reply to Celia1552

This is so helpful. I spoke to my supplier and they recommended calling to get samples so I will definitely ask about a convex bag. I use a small barrier ring but I'll try the larger and apply like you said. The fact that my normal crease when I bend is from my belly button right to the bottom of the stoma is what seems to be causing the issues. The bag is fine the first day but after bending it loosens and leaks under everything. Thank you so much. So glad I found this site, everyone has been so helpful. You guys rock!

Teebull
Reply to Axl

Thanks Axl. I'll going to call for a sample of convex bag to see if it solves my problems. Appreciate all your help!

Feb9HH

What type of wafers do you use? I had to switch to Coloplast because I had a hard time with the adhesive. I have used the sheets. Yes, just put them on under the wafer. The powders haven't worked, sprays are okay. You may need to try another brand.

Teebull
Reply to Feb9HH

I am using the Coloplast Sensura Mio. I am still waiting for samples and my Rx order with the protective sheets. I also have an issue with leaking at the bottom of my stoma because they wrongly put my stoma directly above, almost on my natural waist bend. It is a weak area that dips right to my belly button, which is barely a quarter inch higher and barely over an inch away from it. I have tried building up the area to make a flatter area for my wafer, but nothing works. Always the next day stool is seeping out the bottom onto my skin. Now waiting on a convex sample to try that. So frustrated with the stoma irritating from the leaks and the outer area all speckled rash and itching. Overwhelmed for sure.

AlexT
Reply to Teebull

Do you have an ostomy nurse? If so, they should have some samples.

Teebull

Alex, that's a whole other nightmare. Last time I went, they didn't have my size bag even. They had a kids' bag and one that was huge and basically covered most of my abdomen. Good thing I had an extra with me. They don't help at all. Basically, they change my bag and send me home with more leaks than when I do it myself. When I was broken out, they said they don't crust or do anything like that. Just told me to try different things but never gave me anything but a barrier ring, which I already had. It's sad here in N.E. TN. Might be better in my home state of NY, but this is where I'm at now.

AlexT
Reply to Teebull

That's too bad. What size is your stoma?

Teebull

It's oval, about 33mm x 35mm.

AlexT
Reply to Teebull

Well dang, I have 4 boxes of convex bags I don't use but the opening is too big for you.

Teebull

Alex, that's for the thought. I really appreciate it!

moster
Reply to Teebull

What does the nasal spray do? That's new to me :)

AlexT
Reply to moster

It's a steroid-type spray that can help heal skin.