Need recommendations for ostomy adhesive?

Replies
Views
SallyK

Hello everyone.

I think this has been asked in the past, but I am not finding the post that has the answer.

I need some sort of glue or extra adhesive to use under my wafer/flange (people use different names for this). Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.

AlexT

If you can find it.....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,478 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

Thanks, Alex. I did find it.

AlexT

Barrier ring isn't holding well enough?

SallyK
Reply to AlexT

No. I have wafers/flanges that have an expiration date soon. They can't be returned. And I won't throw them out. So I figured with extra stick I could use them.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beth22

Awesome. Thank you for asking this question, Sally. I was wondering myself, and thank Alex T.

Bill
Reply to AlexT

Hello AlexT.

I think you will find that Hollister have stopped production of this product.

After much searching I have found a product called 'Probond' which does the job as well if not better than the 7730.  Probond is primarily made for use with prosthetics, but I figure that if it works for stoma stuff then maybe our bags etc ought to be classified as prosthetics.

Best wishes 
Bill

Beth22
Reply to Bill

Thanks, Bill, for the update.

AlexT
Reply to Bill

Yeah, I knew they stopped making it but it can still be found at some places.

bowsprit

Why not tape? These adhesives might not be good for the skin. I import epoxy adhesives in drums from the US and package them in different sized tubes here. You have to be careful with them. Can irritate skin. Maybe someone can tell if tape is better or adhesive.

Beth22

I have seen these adhesive double-sided discs that go under the wafer. It's by Torbot and I think another company

Deeleigh

That medical adhesive is the bomb. Do you use the barrier strips? I find they help.

SallyK
Reply to Beth22

I might try those. Thanks

Beth22
Reply to SallyK

If you do, please let us know how it goes.

Panko

Try stoma paste lightly?

Panko

Coloplast Extra Wide Brava Tape Extenders that are half moon shaped go over your flange wafer encase them wider!!

Big game changer rarely get a blowout or leaker since using them!!

Bill
Reply to bowsprit

Hello Bowsprit.

You are right about being careful with this sort of stuff as a number of people are allergic to certain adhesives. 

I used to use double sided carpet tape, which was not entirely satisfactory, then I ordered some 2.5inch double sided tape from Korea called SOOKWANG. This I cut to shape and stick onto my baseplates. Because of the length of the roll, it works out pretty cheap to use and it does stick reasonably well to both the baseplate and the skin. However, because it is fiddly to cut I use this as a first layer which acts as a base for the Probond adhesive (which is much easier to apply). This way, when it comes to removing the layers of sticky (about once in two months), the double sided tape makes it relatively easy.

These things are about trial and error experimentation and, because we all react differently, I'm sorry to say that we each need to do our own experimenting to find our best solutions.

Best wishes

Bill   

Maried

Coloplast barrier strips are excellent. They do not come off until you start to pull off and keep the seal around the bag dry too.

bowsprit
Reply to Bill

That sounds good. Those Coloplast strips mentioned here work well too. Like you've said, everyone has to experiment and see what works best for them.
Best wishes.

eefyjig

https://skinister.com/product/prosthetic-medical-adhesive/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzeSdBhC4ARIsACj36uHsPDKH0QHGuw3ft8NEY6m7tSoOzCRrTLlNpFLaI97prpZRB1lZAFQaAoRwEALw_wcB

This is being advertised as a replacement for the discontinued Hollister Medical Adhesive.

SallyK
Reply to eefyjig

Thanks so much

tallman

Sally, I have used the Hollister Adapt barrier ring for 10 years now and they work great.

SallyK
Reply to tallman

Sounds great. But I thought the ring was only around the stoma. I was looking for something to cover the whole underside of the wafer/flange.

Mark1070

There are dozens available. I use Torbot Skin-Tac.

Bob 48
Reply to Bill

I could be wrong but I think under Medicare they are grouped under prosthetics. I also have an insulin pump which is grouped as a prosthetic, but the cartridge and inset isn't. Maybe just a way for them to not have to cover the cost, but I could be wrong.

VisnuGD

I know this post is old but I get the Hollister 7730 monthly from the VA hospital. It got discontinued by Hollister but McKesson

You can find it here https://mms.mckesson.com/product/860154/Hollister-7730