Community of Caring: Reflections on Finding Support and Hope

Replies
Views
iMacG5

When I found this website, I didn't think its name had anything to do with actually meeting an ostomate but I later learned there were some folks who did meet and develop relationships. How good is that? That wasn't my intention. I definitely didn't want anyone to meet me. I felt broken and wasn't prepared to express those feelings. I thought it was a place where ostomates wrote about themselves, posed questions, shared thoughts, told jokes and, sometimes, just vented. I thought of it as a community of folks with similar interests and various degrees of experience. Mostly I found some of the most caring, selfless, wise and understanding people I ever imagined. I was so impressed with some of the writings; not because of their literary value but the way in which they addressed such a very complex environment. I read hundreds of exchanges and admired the way folks cared for each other. I became hopeful with my own situation and looked forward to the next day's offerings. Certainly some contributors stood out with their experience or particular skills in addressing some things but it seemed like a total effort with synergistic results. I felt blessed to have found this site. I still do.

Not everyone has an IQ approaching infinity and some have difficulty composing a sentence but we all came together here, “listened” to each other to make things better for everyone involved. We might have disagreed at times but we learned and prospered from that also.

I hope we can all appreciate and reap the benefits of this forum.

Respectfully,

Mike

SallyK

I feel the same way, Mike - blessed to have found this site. There are so many lovely people on here.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT

Hi Mike, I'm glad you are still on the site, even though we seldom hear from you anymore. What an absolutely lovely post, with wise and inspiring words for all of us to absorb in this new year with so much uncertainty and instability around us. You are a light, and I thank you for reminding us of what we have here.

Terry

bowsprit

You are right. Mike, this is a unique forum, and many wise and caring people are present here, some with an acute insight into the affliction that ails us. You are a member of long standing and your opinion counts. The most outstanding feature is the way people share their experiences, offer advice, and buck each other up. This thing and its uncertainties can take a heavy toll on you, and it is not easy to express those feelings in words like you have said. I hope you are well and healthy. I remember what you once said about Urdu and Punjabi poetry. Best wishes.

xnine

Mike, you should post this under Collections, Member Reviews; otherwise, it will get lost as days pass.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill
Reply to xnine

I totally agree with you xnine.  This  post would make a great review

IGGIE

Well put, my friend, and let's all keep helping each other.

Morning glory

Hi Mike, I have missed you. I agree that this post should go under collections.

iMacG5

You folks just confirmed my thoughts. Thanks for your kind comments and advice on where to post. I plan to spend more time here. I miss the warmth and wisdom.

Thanks again,

Mike

TerryLT
Reply to iMacG5

I'm glad to hear it! I've missed you too.

MarVee

Very well said, Mike. When you first become an ostomate, you feel alone with a rare and "unique" new body status. Discovering MAO, you learn you are not alone and many others share your uniqueness. It is the place to compare notes and to get sound advice from real experience. Many friendships have been developed here and, in some cases, real-life relationships with an ostomate soulmate. Carry on, Ostomates!

arlencohen212

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and had an emergency life-saving ileostomy about 17 months ago. I am still trying to figure everything out, but the words here are encouraging and uplifting. Thank you, Mike, and others for passing on hope. I can live life to the fullest as an ostimate and will. Best, Arlen

CrappyColon

Thanks for sharing.