Spray Adhesive Remover: Monthly Usage and Insurance Coverage

Replies
Views
Killshot_24523

How many cans do you use per month? How many does your insurance cover?

I received my first one-month supply of product and got 1 can. That just doesn't seem like enough.

Ben38

1 can lasts me around 30 bag changes. You only need to spray a small amount at the top of the wafer, and as you pull, the adhesive remover runs down, loosening the rest of the wafer.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Through my insurance, I can either get remover wipes or remover spray, not both on one order unless I want to pay the difference. So, I get a couple of cans of spray through insurance and then switch to a couple of boxes of wipes. One can will last me probably 3 months of changes. It doesn't take much and you gotta let it have time to do the work. One box of 50 wipes lasts me probably 3 months too.

TerryLT

I find the wipes to be the cheaper way to go. You can easily use more spray than you need, and it seems to get used up pretty fast.

Terry

Bryce

I find the wipes are a better/more economical way to go. Best, Bryce

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Beth22

Hi there,

Each insurance company is different on how much they will cover for a month. To find out everything your insurance covers and how much of each, each month, call your distributor and ask them. They will be able to tell you. Unfortunately, you won't get any answers with insurance companies; they have no clue of what an ostomy even is.

As far as the spray goes, I love it. That bag just pops right off. I used to use wipes; I went through 2-3 in one bag change.

Briutz

Hi Killshot, I've found that one tin lasts me for about 30 bags the same as Ben, even so you have to be steady with the spray button and let the magic happen, 'frugal' is the way forward on this one. As unbelievable as it may sound I have a brother in law who has had his Stoma now for thirty years and swears he has never used adhesive remover yet, he says he just pulls the bag off. Now I have tried this on just a couple of occasions and my opinion on such an act of self inflicted pain as this is quite simple... I would much rather screw a solid metal plate on the wall where I enter the house and forcibly head butt the bloody thing every time I walk inthe door. By the way I'm not yet planning on doing that either.!!

Brian

CrappyColon

One should last you a month, but I felt the same. It didn't seem like enough. I did use wipes as well. I used the spray to get it off my skin initially, then the wipes for any residue left on my skin. With my insurance, I was able to get wipes and spray the same month... can't remember all the details if they let me get 2 of each when I got the wipes as well? Once I met my deductible, it didn't matter as much. My WOC nurses were great about giving me samples as well.

patrickrichardson1946

Hi. I have got short of spray in the past and have gone to different suppliers and got samples. I also went on eBay UK and bought sprays off there to supplement my national health supplies. Before COVID, we had a local ostomy group attended by suppliers pushing their products, which was also good for a number of free sprays. Unfortunately, now discontinued since the start of COVID.

Harvest where you can osta...mates. Patrick

TerryLT

Something that just occurred to me that might be helpful. The little packets of wipes have a lot of liquid in them. When you open them, the first thing you should do is use the liquid inside to start the process of loosening the adhesive, then take the little wipe out. They go a lot further that way.

Terry

AlexT
Reply to TerryLT

I do that with the wipes I use to get the last little bit off, pour it on the area and just give the area a light rub.

pkm

I generally change everything every other day and I use the spray adhesive remover every time. One bottle usually lasts me 2 months and my insurance covers one per month.

Cmoore

I'm an adhesive wipes user and prefer a two-piece system. There are more wipes than I need in my monthly shipments. The two-piece systems work best with my slim build and extreme twisting, turning, and bending. I had no success at all with the one-piece options. I figure that's due to my scarring from a mucocutaneous wound that developed early in my recovery. It seems one-piece systems require a very flush surface for secure adhesion.

Lilly78
Reply to Ben38

I think that's awful! Here in England we can order as many as we like. It's free!! I could never manage on one tin

Bob 48

1 can last me around 2 months. I used wipes, but the spray works better at getting the adhesive off the hair that grows right at the base of my stoma. I usually don't have to use much spray at all when removing the wafer, mostly just use it to remove adhesive off the stupid hair.

shannondaniellegrant
Reply to TerryLT

I use the wipes, but they don't always seem to work very well; maybe it's the manufacturer I'm buying. I've had a lot of problems getting the bags to come off. Sometimes it's like the bag has been super glued on. Twice I've torn my skin trying to get it to release. Switching to a can this week to see if it helps since I see people using them on YouTube with no problems. I use a ton of wipes, but they have lasted a long time. I get 50 in a box. I'll keep you posted as I just ordered a box and a can.