Seeking Assistance After Job Loss in Food Processing Industry

Replies
Views
Gizmo1

My employer let me go because they are a food processor and were concerned about contamination. Now I can't afford my rent and utilities. Other than my GoFundMe account, does anyone know of assistance programs that are available? I'm in desperate need of help before I'm homeless. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Cplumber

Get a lawyer and sue your old employer!!!
contamination? ;Your butt hole is covered in a plastic bag, unlike everyone else's!
How is that contamination?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,462 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

Like cplumber said. We are covered under the Disability Law Act and that was discrimination.

In the meantime, I would file for unemployment.

Bill

Hello Gizmo1.

I agree with Beth22 in that this sounds like discrimination.
Your employer's reasons for letting you go are completely erroneous and should be challenged with the utmost vigour. 
I have recently changed my employment and am presently employed as a catering assistant in a busy kitchen, where I not only prepare meals but serve them up as well.

My present employers are well aware of my stoma and it was not an issue. They just wanted me to pass level's 1-2 in food hygiene. 
Best wishes

Bill

dmo101

This is discrimination. Get a lawyer ASAP and sue their a*s !!!!!!!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

Like others have said, this is outrageous! You don't need to stand for this. I don't know about in the U.S., but we have a government body here that is concerned with employment standards and fairness in the workplace. There should be someone you can contact to rectify this. This is blatantly unjust termination. Good luck!

Terry

w30bob

Hi Giz,

Dude........I'd set up a GoFundMe page to handle the legal fees.......I'll contribute!And then like everyone else has said......sue their friggin' assess off, and then change the name of YOUR new business to Gizmo's Food Processing Inc. What assholes.

;O)

bob

Maried

Yes, get a civil rights lawyer with experience in these types of cases. Try Legal Aid in your county courthouse or library in your area too. I know many lawyers want a retainer. Legal Aid can help you find a low-cost or pro bono.

Keep asking people in your area for advice or help. Your employer did a crappy thing and it is illegal! Good luck. Set up a GoFundMe so we can help.

Maried

Southwest Missouri Volunteer Attorney Project (SWMVAP)
(417) 782-1650
302 S. Joplin
Joplin, MO 64801

Maried

Also, I learned the hard way never to tell your employer you have an ostomy. It is nobody's business how and when you poop and pee, as long as you get your work done.

southpawbass
Reply to w30bob

Dude, I can see my asshole - left abdomen - and you have just offended it by putting it in league with his former employer ...

southpawbass
Reply to Cplumber

Exactly!!!

Osto

Section 508 of the Federal Disabilities Act should cover you. I'm not 100% sure, but it would fall under discrimination of a medical issue outside of your control. Just so you know, it's a civil right given to you by the US Constitution.