Persistent Raw Skin: Seeking Solutions

Replies
Views
TerryLT
Reply to Beth22

It seems like a really good product, but so far I've only tried the flange extenders.

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to Axl

I am looking forward to trying the pouches when they get them in. They are a lot cheaper than the Hollister ones I've been using, even coming from the U.K. Fingers crossed!

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,431 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TerryLT
Reply to Anonymous

Yes, I noticed that it came off easily, with no residue.

Ostomate & woundr

Barrier rings also come in paste strips, not paste from a tube. That's a whole different product and not one I'd recommend for raw skin.

Barrier strips are used to seal deformities or fill in gaps. It's best if you can make everything as level and flat as possible to apply your wafer. Think of it as putting sparkle over a bunch of pebbles to make a flat walkway. The layering technique with the powder and the skin barrier has to be done in multiple layers. We usually recommend about 10 until it looks like a sugar donut. Once I have a premium membership, I can message you because photographs would be helpful. Tell me again where you live and let me see what the resources are to send a WOCN to you.

TerryLT
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

Hi Osto, thanks for your response. My skin has completely healed and I'm back to my normal routine, which is just applying my pouch, without any need for barrier strips, rings or what have you. My peristomal skin is flat and I don't have leaks, so I have never needed them. The tiny little areas of rawness I occasionally get right at the base of my stoma are just from me not cutting the flange perfectly, and I've always corrected it easily by applying a couple of layers of stoma powder/barrier wipe, and it's cleared up by the time of my next change. Now that I have discovered the Salts flange extenders, very thin, infused with aloe, if I ever have a skin issue like this last one, I will use a small piece of it again, as it worked beautifully to heal my skin. My problem was that I had let it get too bad before I contacted my ostomy nurse. I am now prepared and won't make that mistake again. I do have an excellent ostomy nurse. Thanks again.

Terry

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
theresakendall76
Reply to TerryLT

I'm having lots of problems with sore skin. Could you tell me what salts are, please?

TerryLT
Reply to theresakendall76

Salts is a company located in the U.K., so you should have easy access to their products. I've only tried the flange extenders so far, but I'm waiting for samples of their pouches too. I've been really impressed with the aloe-infused product, and the pouches and barrier rings also have it. Look them up and request samples. Good luck!

Terry