Benefits of Using a Belt with an Ileostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
funnybonemarrow

I've had my ileostomy for nearly 20 years. I've only used a flange and drainable pouch.

Can someone explain the usefulness of using a belt?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi, it helps to support everything in place and also to extra secure the bag on your skin.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HenryM

After wearing the belt that came with the appliance for years, I finally decided I didn't need it and gave it up.  Going beltless has never been a problem.  In fact, it used to drive me nuts.  I wear a wide support wrap now when I exercise, but that's it.  

gentlejohn

I wear a belt and precut barriers with a charcoal filter for my ileostomy. Usage of belts is optional and a personal choice. There are different types of belts too. There are "hernia belts" that might prevent hernias in the future but are more involved to use. I personally use the thin standard Hollister belt that attaches to the flanges. I prefer wearing the belt because it securely and gently holds the barrier against the skin. I have heard of stories of bags popping off during the night and these people recommend keeping an extra set of clean bed sheets available. I would prefer not to go through that. There are times when we may not be as attentive to how full the bag is. A belt, I believe, allows me to get to a place to empty the bag without it popping off. I have only had my ileostomy for about 6 months, but it seems to me that it prolongs the time between barrier changes. My usage of thin rings may also make a difference. Good luck.

Killshot_24523

I wear a stealth belt most of my waking hours. I have a urostomy and the bag gets heavy and pulls without the belt. The belt also provides abdominal support. I'm a new ostomate and really worry about a hernia. I really want to do all I can to prevent it, so I do what I can to avoid one.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT

Depending on what belt you use there can be multiple benefits. All give added pressure to the sticky stuff around your stoma to help prevent leaks. Some, usually the wider ones, can give abdominal support to help against hernias. Some also cover up your bag so it's contained and doesn't show. Varying benefits that some can really use and others don't need, just an individual preference I guess. &zwj

CrappyColon

One of my ostomy nurses told me to leave the belt on for 24 hours after a new bag change. I went through 7 ostomy systems before finding one that my skin would accept, so I tried every belt that came with each system. Some had too much metal in it for me. I didn't like how it felt against my skin and the bulky/heaviness of those. At first, I wore the belt all the time, anytime I left the house I wore an ostomy wrap up and literally had backups of everything. Kinda felt like a first-time mom. As time went on, I only wore the belt the first 24 hours and other things like wraps depended on the outfit. As my confidence grew, what I carried with me shrank.

NicGiy
Reply to Killshot_24523

I used to wear a belt for years. It's the best thing that ever happened to me. The weight that it distributes all around your body instead. I never had a hernia or any kind of problem like that.

w30bob

Hi funny,

"Can someone explain the usefulness of using a belt?" Yup........sure can. First, as mentioned, it's a personal taste thing, and not for everyone. The usefulness is both a "peace of mind" thing and a practical one. Depending on how well your barrier adheres to your skin......a belt gives you an extra measure of safety in that regard. Continuing on the practical side........if you ever spring a leak between your skin and the barrier........you'll lose adhesion pretty quickly once that seal is broken. Having a belt keeps the barrier in contact with your body despite the seal failing. This won't fix anything, but you won't have to keep your hand over your barrier until you can get to your backup kit..........or home........to change your barrier. It's saved my ass in this scenario a few times......like when I was out on my buddy's boat on a hot summer Saturday. I sprung a leak and didn't have any supplies with me.......or anywhere to change my barrier even if I did. Without my belt it would have been a really bad afternoon, but I just cleaned up discretely, taped the shit out of my barrier (always keep some tape in the tackle box!) and tightened up my belt. It held until I got back to dock and all the way home. What a friggin mess I would have had if I didn't have my belt on!

Also, when you apply a new barrier some like to sit or lay down for 20 minutes or so after they get done to allow the adhesion to increase. That's just not practical for some, so cinching up the belt right after you applied a new barrier accomplishes the same thing.......it keeps pressure on the barrier to keep it tight to your skin. And obviously, the piece of mind thing goes right along with all of those scenarios. It's like wearing a seatbelt. Not something I like, but now if I don't buckle up I feel something is wrong. Belts are a bit of a pain in the ass to wear, depending on where your stoma is located, but if you wear one you'll feel naked, or that something is very wrong, if you don't wear it one day. If you do wear it all the time you'll quickly forget you're wearing it. Whereas if you wear it intermittently.........you'll always be aware of it. The good thing is you can try it...........and if it's not for you......just leave it in the drawer. It it helps you feel more secure.........it's a good thing. To each their own, eh?

;O)

Beachboy

Anyone have a colostomy with a hernia and use a belt? I'm using a Nu-Hope. It does push my hernia back in. But, my stoma protrudes more. Is this normal? Will it promote prolapse?

Thanks,

Dan

papaboo
Reply to Beachboy

I use the a stealth belt customized for my hernia and use the muffler as a soft barrier for my stoma the muffler will help keep the stoma in place I will also use the stoma guard it helps  but it will be a lump under your shirt. I will use the nu-hope belt for a day after I change my appliance it helps the adhesion process. 

Beachboy

Thanks papaboo !

Happy-but-Newbie

Same as most before me...it's a personal choice...

For me actually not so much, as my stoma is pretty low on the surface, so I use Convex flanges and belt helps push it even further...

Used Hollister belt that cam with bags for first 2 months, but as my stoma is under my natural waist and the belt moved up...very uncomfortable....

Plus was still bloated from surgery and having a tight belt was not what I desired most ;-)

Once I stopped using I felt...horrible! sort of naked and bag filling up was pulling me and making me frantic about flange coming off etc etc...

Also consider for urostomy...when the bag fills it's quite splishy-splashy :D

I use wraps...a stronger one for the day to help posture and a softer one for the night just to keep things in their place.

I wanted to try a stealth one, but they do not ship to Spain for some reason, so....

So in the end: naked bag makes me feel more uneasy physically and psychologically..wrap makes me feel everything is nicely stuck where it should :-)

john.m.schmidt1

From everything I have tried, the stealth belt is the best. 

I play hard, I am a scuba dive master, I race off roading, ride my Harley,  and with the security of the Stealth belt I never worry.

As an added benefit,  no one ever has to see my bag, and I have never experienced a leak.