Non-Sweet Electrolyte Options for Colon-Free Individuals

Replies
Views
bluesgal

You can easily make your own electrolyte drink - it's cheaper than buying pre-made drinks/powders and you can make it as sweet or unsweet as you want. Basic recipe is: 1 cup (8 ounces) water, not carbonated
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Small pinch of salt (a teaspoon of salt contains 2,300 milligrams of sodium, so you need 1/20th of a teaspoon of salt—not much)
Flavoring and sweetener to taste (optional). Try Crystal Light Drink Mix, unsweetened Kool-Aid, or sugar-free flavored syrups, or stevia or Splenda for "fake" sugar.

Beth22

Bluesgal question why no sugar? Is it because it will supposed to cause us to have watery output? I ask because my body is literally the complete opposite of what foods and drinks are supposed to do. I can eat chocolate and it doesn't make me thin, muffins don't make me thick and sugar doesn't affect my output lol. I'm an odd one lol, so was curious on the no and little sugar thing.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,379 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ostiboy

I've tried many different electrolyte drinks and then my nutritionist told me about LIQUID IV hydration multiplier. It comes in packets that make 16 oz with water. I prefer the lemon lime which is not as sweet, sometimes I'll add some lemon juice to it. I get the 28 pack at Costco for $22. I lost 40 lbs. from 160 to 120 lbs. due to July ileostomy surgery so really need electrolytes as part of recovery. I'm drinking 3-4 a day and getting better every day. I go to my fitness center 4 days a week and am up to 140 lbs so fluids are important part of working out and LIQUID IV really helps.

BEST OF HEALTH TO YOU!
Steve

OverWithThisOstomy-Maria
Reply to CrappyColon

What about zero sugar Propel? I'm in love with those!

nealio1957

There are lots of electrolyte tablets you can get, usually there for people who sweat a lot in sports, not too expensive, and available everywhere.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister