Join the Largest Ostomy Community
Next >

Brain fog after removal of large intestine?

How many of you who have had either your whole large intestine or part of it removed have noticed brain fog afterwards?

MeetAnOstoMate - 30,159 members
Join a supportive community of individuals who understand your journey and can provide valuable insights, guidance, and companionship throughout your ostomy experience.

I would say yes… but I wonder how much is dehydration related with me as well

I know my migraines became more frequent after my surgeries. It's all connected. CCD (can't call her “crappy” like Bob does! 😂)mentioned dehydration, too, as a factor.

Reply to eefyjig

As I said, I think Bob likes calling me

crappy even though I pointed out Jodie is shorter to type. 
My migraines have been acting up a lot and I've blamed it on hormones/weather/ and I know I get more dehydrated when I have them 

Reply to crappycolondiaries

Jodie! Yes, it's got to be the fact that we get dehydrated so much more easily. I asked my Gastro if his ostomy patients had a higher incidence of migraines and he said he didn't notice a connection. Not even anything about the brain/gut connection. I was pretty surprised, to be honest, that he didn't acknowledge any of it.

Yes but years later after surgery and mine is from having ME 

Reply to eefyjig

My neuro thinks there is absolutely a connection. The amount of migraine meds I needed went down significantly since I had the colon removed, but they think there's some tug of war going on with this hydration game. 

Yes, my neuro thinks the same. She's so informed and supportive. I just wish I could say the same about my new gastro.🙄

Reply to eefyjig

I wish I remembered which of my Drs it was… I'm dealing with 3ish right now but they said microbiome is the big deal they trying to learn more about right now. You ever get to the point where some of the medical conversations start blending together? That's where I'm at this week 🙃

Reply to eefyjig

Hey Hey Hey.........she picked her username......not me!  

;O)

Reply to w30bob

Well I did have a crappy colon lol. The blog became a way to help me process having my guts removed and all that. 

Yeah......the nature of this site sure does make for some interesting usernames.......that's for sure!!

;O)

I struggled with brain fog for years, even before the removal of my colon. It was my memory that was deeply affected. I used to have an unusually good memory, but after losing the colon, I don't have that anymore and it's been a struggle for me. 

Yes, but Im attributing it to the large amounts of blood I loss before & during surgery as well as becoming anemic. Its so frustrating when I can't remember simple things, like someone's name who I've known for years or stop in mid sentence because I forgot what I was thinking. I'm 4 months post op. 

Reply to eefyjig

I'm supposed to go next week for 3 days in a row of migraine infusion therapy because with constant weather changes they've been harder to break. I was supposed to rest for 5 days in a row last week… but then I scheduled a test to get it over with and got pretty dehydrated during the test so that didn't help. I'm sure my neuro is thrilled with me. They're starting to give me more meds through an iv when possible b/c it's hard to know what I'm actually absorbing from any oral meds. 

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.