Brain Fog After Large Intestine Removal?

Replies
Views
Miguel

How many of you who have had either your whole large intestine or part of it removed have noticed brain fog afterwards?

CrappyColon

I would say yes... but I wonder how much dehydration is related to me as well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eefyjig

I know my migraines became more frequent after my surgeries. It's all connected. CCD (Can't call her "crappy" like Bob does!) mentioned dehydration, too, as a factor.

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

As I said, I think Bob likes calling me.

Crappy even though I pointed out Jodie is shorter to type.
My migraines have been acting up a lot and I've blamed it on hormones/weather, and I know I get more dehydrated when I have them.

eefyjig
Reply to CrappyColon

Jodie! Yes, it's got to be the fact that we get dehydrated so much more easily. I asked my gastro if his ostomy patients had a higher incidence of migraines and he said he didn't notice a connection. Not even anything about the brain/gut connection. I was pretty surprised, to be honest, that he didn't acknowledge any of it.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ben38

Yes, but years later after surgery and mine is from having ME.

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

My neurologist thinks there is absolutely a connection. The amount of migraine meds I needed went down significantly since I had the colon removed, but they think there's some tug of war going on with this hydration game.

eefyjig
Reply to CrappyColon

Yes, my neuro thinks the same. She's so informed and supportive. I just wish I could say the same about my new gastro.

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

I wish I remembered which of my doctors it was... I'm dealing with three-ish right now but they said microbiome is the big deal they're trying to learn more about right now. You ever get to the point where some of the medical conversations start blending together? That's where I'm at this week.

w30bob
Reply to eefyjig

Hey hey hey... she picked her username... not me!

;o)

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

Well, I did have a crappy colon, lol. The blog became a way to help me process having my guts removed and all that.

w30bob
Reply to CrappyColon

Yeah... the nature of this site sure does make for some interesting usernames... that's for sure!!

;O)

Celtic-Mary

I struggled with brain fog for years, even before the removal of my colon. It was my memory that was deeply affected. I used to have an unusually good memory, but after losing the colon, I don't have that anymore and it's been a struggle for me.

Zestybb

Yes, but I'm attributing it to the large amounts of blood I lost before, during surgery as well as becoming anemic. It's so frustrating when I can't remember simple things, like someone's name who I've known for years or stop in mid-sentence because I forgot what I was thinking. I'm 4 months post-op.

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

I'm supposed to go next week for 3 days in a row of migraine infusion therapy because with constant weather changes they've been harder to break. I was supposed to rest for 5 days in a row last week... but then I scheduled a test to get it over with and got pretty dehydrated during the test so that didn't help. I'm sure my neuro is thrilled with me. They're starting to give me more meds through an IV when possible because it's hard to know what I'm actually absorbing from any oral meds.