Safe and Possible to Get a Massage with a Stoma?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses the safety and feasibility of receiving a massage with a stoma, with participants sharing their experiences and advice.
yaya

I received a gift certificate for a Swedish massage at Christmas. I'm pretty new at this whole stoma dealy. Is it safe and possible to have a massage? Pretty anxious to hear from others. Thanks.

The Bag Lady ... Ile Oct 13, 2010

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Grammybec

I have a two-hour massage once a week. Since my surgery, I don't lie on my stomach for my back, I use a massage chair. I have both the bed and chair in my home, but a massage parlor should have both also. Just let them know what parts of your body you don't want them to touch, like the stomach area, and they will work around it. I love having my feet done, so I have an hour of reflexology, half an hour on my head, face, arms, and hands, and then get on the massage chair for a half-hour back massage. I actually enjoy the chair better than lying on my stomach before my surgery. You will feel great and want one every week. Let me know how it goes... Enjoy! Becky

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
yaya

Thank you, Becky. I am excited to have the massage done. I am coming off of Prednisone and have aches and pains that I can't wait to get rid of. Hoping the massage helps. Take care, Grammybec... I'm Yaya for my grands. Happy New Year. Jody

WOUNDED DOE

Oh yay, omg, omg... ((sigh))... all the massage talk sounds so nice... wow... ok now I will be thinking all night long how very nice that would feel. I would go for a massage if I had the money, although there are no places near my area that I am aware of. The only thing bad about getting a massage, if you're someone like me, is laying there watching the time, dreading it will end soon and wondering how much time of heaven is left. LOL... The two-hour massage sounds wonderful, Grammybec, you are so lucky!! I could have an eight-hour one and still lay there like a noodle and beg for more. Lmao... Maybe a massage is a great idea for an upcoming Osty Conference as a little something extra to treat us to some relaxation... I'm in!! Lol.

yaya

Thanks ... I know how you feel about watching the clock. I have been sick for so long that now that I am feeling better and enjoying life again, a massage is like a gift of manna from Heaven! Wewhow..... I used to live in Whitewater, WI when I was but a wee lass. Beautiful country. Take care and Happy New Year!!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hey. Once the tenderness from surgery goes down, you should be fine as long as you're not lying on your stoma for an extended period of time or at a time when it's having a large output. Another thing to consider is that some massage places have special tables for pregnant women with holes that adjust to support the baby. That could take the weight off the stoma if you have an ileostomy. My aunt is a masseuse, and lately, she has been giving massages to a pregnant lady while she sits on a bench. Maybe you could inquire if it's possible to get a massage on a medicine ball or swivel chair where you can put your legs underneath the backrest while sitting backwards.

Immarsh
Hi all,

I don't want to dispute anyone else's preferences, but I've had many massages, and although I can't sleep on my stomach, I always lie on my stomach for the massage. It's only an hour... and I just make sure I've been to the restroom before. For added assurance, I sometimes roll up a towel and put it next to my pouch, near the hip, to take some of the pressure off the pouch. I generally let the masseuse know what's there, so there's no embarrassment or accident.

The best massage I had was on the beach, under a tent... with the sound of the waves, with a cool breeze blowing. It was decadent...

But I have others in traditional settings and always choose to lie down to get the full benefits and the whole body relaxation. I'm with you Granny Bec... love reflexology and foot massages... too.

Enjoy!