Surviving Colon Cancer: My Journey from Pain to Gratitude

Replies
Views
bikerboy

Hello to my fellow ostomates, I guess it's time to write my story today. I've been putting it off because I didn't think I had it that bad. So here goes.
I had always been a one dump a week guy since I can remember. Then years ago, I mentioned it to my doc and she blew up. Gave me a screaming butt chewing. Soon, I started taking some powder daily and was actually down to a daily log and it was nice. I was getting some reading in for a change. I retired from the navy about that time and was settled into my cushy welding job here in San Diego. I was getting my colonoscopy every year as it's free for me and not that bad. As long as my doc had slender fingers. (I've had a woman doc for years). So January 08, I got my regular check and feel fine. But in July, I go a week without a dump. So I go see my doc and she's on vacation, so I see her referral and she assures me it's nothing to worry about, maybe I changed my eating habits. I tell her I've always eaten like a cockroach. But she says it might be diverticulitis and we should do some workups. So two weeks go by. I get a CAT scan and MRI, I drink several gallons of contrast (cappuccino and strawberry) but they can't find anything. I stopped eating and went to liquids. Three weeks now without a movement. I didn't have any pain and no sensation to go.
But the next day (the 22nd day), I woke up early and wondered why my head was down at my feet. I looked like a hinge, and I was in PAIN!!!!!!!!!!
I was vaguely aware that I might have colon cancer, as I had been on the computer looking up such things. The PAIN was there for 2 minutes then gone for 3 minutes. I sat there most of the day fading in and out of consciousness. I was calling my 3 daughters but they didn't answer and I wasn't getting voicemail. My phone was dying and I couldn't find the charger. I got a hold of my aunt in L.A. and told her what I was going to do. She told me to call 911 but I panicked and didn't. Now my phone was dead and then I went into shock. Somehow I had driven my Mustang to Balboa Naval Hospital 15 miles away and arrived at the E.R. It was 1700 at night. But when I walked in, every kid in San Diego was there with a sniffle. I checked in and told them what I felt and they said, "Well, we will get to you eventually." I sat on the kiddie table and moaned in pain. I know how women feel in childbirth, I'm quite certain it was the same pain, sooooo
At 2300, 11:00 pm, I woke up on a gurney. Apparently, I fell through the table. I told the nurses what was going on.
Now it's a little foggy. They found a tumor the size of a lemon inside my arse. And put me in a coma that night for the pain. They woke me up 2 days later on the way to surgery. From what my daughter told me months later, the surgery was 16 hours. After the first 6 hours, I was written off as a loss and they nearly stopped. But my heart was pumping away and my lungs kept working fine. So they kept on working. My daughter kept a very thorough diary of my next 32 days in a coma. In my next blog, I'll get more in-depth on it.
The long and short of it is I'm alive, I feel great, I do more than before, I like my bag, I'm glad it happened. In my life, I have to have bad before I learn. It works for me. Thanks for your time.
Bikerboy Greg

lottagelady

Hi Bikerboy and many thanks for your good wishes and prayers! Glad you have had some good health news for a change!
Take care
Rach xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

janice

Thanks for the prayers!

Judah

Cheers, Judah

girl Gloria

Hey there, Bikerboy! Do you know how to get to Pennsylvania?

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
girl Gloria

Well?

bikerboy

I'm still stumbling.

Past Member

Thanks for sharing... I am glad you are doing well now and I agree, the bag is just fine and I feel better than I have in a long time.

michelle513

I'm really happy to hear you're doing so well and that you shared your story, bikerboy. I have two bags, so I know how you feel, and it's amazing just to be alive. We're still here, so we may as well live life to the fullest, right? :-) I'm happy you made it through.