Sex and Ostomy: Addressing Curiosity and Insecurities

In this discussion
Replies
Views
DJK1983

My recent post on Facebook:

Many people have asked me about sex since I received my ileostomy. While I think it's kind of funny, it seems fair that people are curious. So here I am to answer.

Having sex with a bag is the same as having sex without one. Men and women with a bag can perform exactly like anyone else. It's similar to having sex with a cast on. It might get in the way a bit, but it's not something that should eliminate sex. If you wouldn't have sex with someone with a cast, you're an asshole. I figure it's about the same for someone with a bag.

A thin woman recently said to me, "Oh my God. I can't imagine how self-conscious you must be. I mean, I've gained weight, and I don't want to have sex." That got me to thinking. I've never been skinny at any point in my life. I have never been in a situation where I thought to myself, "I'm going to wow her with my stomach!" My stomach has never been, nor will it ever be, a girl-getter. Whose stomach really is though, unless you're The Situation...? My point is, everybody has insecurities with their bodies, and this is just another.

My mother will probably be mad at me for writing this, but I want to answer the questions. If we don't talk about it, how will we ever know?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

This is good. People are too shallow and concerned with image nowadays. Women by the 1950's standards would be considered fat today. It's a shame when people are chastised for not being what everyone wants them to be.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Looking forward to my first time since my urostomy. My surgery's still very new, so it'll be a while, but I'm very fortunate...my hubster's totally cool with it.

DJK1983

Good luck! A few adjustments here and there, and you'll be good to go. :)

Past Member

Thanks. I don't know if I'd have been able to adjust as well as I have to my new body image if I didn't have someone to lean on who let me know that it didn't make any difference to them. I look down at this doggy d!ck protruding from my stomach and I want to turn away myself, but I have to look at it to take care of myself, LOL. I think maybe if I had a loved one with a stoma I'd be more accepting of it on them than I am with myself.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
DJK1983

That makes sense. I think with this, and most issues we face, it is best to remove yourself from the situation and see it objectively. If you were some random girl, would you think differently of her? If you saw that other girl (not yourself) in your relationship or job, what would you think? Doing this always helps me to see things more clearly and with perspective. I am not dating right now, but haven't had any trouble because if I don't make a big deal out of it, nobody else does either.

SallyWillard

Before I got the bag, my biggest issue with my body was my stretch marks from my twins. I'd be lying if I said the bag doesn't affect my self-image. But hey, it covers the stretch marks perfectly! It's really about keeping your sense of humor! If you can laugh it off - it's all good!

Past Member

Besides, if sex with a bag is disgusting, you are making love, or 'having sex' the wrong way, anyhow! Heh, heh

Past Member

Making love may be a little different, but with a husband who really loves you, there is no problem. It is just as satisfying. Accept yourself as you are, others will too. Even had any "accident" once. The world did not come to an end, just took a bath we both laughed about it. The next day was perfect.

DH

I just had my colostomy about 5 weeks ago. So I am still too sore to have sex. And I do wonder if having this poop pouch is going to turn my husband off. I think most of it is probably in my head. He always reminds me that he loves me, and seems eager to get back to being intimate with me.

Celeste

I thought it was going to be really difficult, but it's not. I had to get past the part of "this is me, this is the way I am." If a man or a woman truly loves the other, then it is something you get past... I can't believe I'm saying this now.... because when I first had my ileostomy surgery, I thought, "Who would ever accept me this way?" I like that there are mini pouches that make things a lot better also.