Post-Op Woes: Stoma Troubles & Bathroom Odors

Replies
Views
Eggandchips

Is it really only 11 days since the operation which left me with this delightful belated Christmas present? It feels like 11 years! Still, I did wake up this morning and actually forgot I'd got the bag until it decided to remind me with one of its disgusting bubbly gurgles, curse it. I do wish its output would 'firm up' because I'm getting heartily sick of this repulsive, stinking liquid noisily pumping itself from my midriff with dreary regularity. The stench is so foul during changes that I have to breathe through my mouth to stop me gagging and the various sprays I've been given are neither use nor ornament. Even our chicken coop smells better than the bloody bathroom does after I've been in it! Another problem (as if I hadn't got enough) is that the skin around the stoma has become red and inflamed, despite my care at cleaning around it. I think it's the wipes that the stoma supplies company sent, it was okay until I started using them, so from today I've started to use the water spray and tissues for cleaning instead.

We went out yesterday to buy a more aesthetically pleasing container for the mountain of stoma-related 'goodies' which has swamped the bathroom since my discharge from hospital. I'm sorry, but a nasty, shiny, battered white box with stuff crammed in any old how just won't cut it, dear me no. We now have a lovely canvas-covered box in calm pastel stripes, reminiscent of deckchairs and summertime rather than screaming "Someone with a colostomy lives here!"

I was quite exhausted when we got home and every bump in the road was very uncomfortable, despite the spouse's care and attention in driving. Saturday wasn't really a good choice of day to hit the shops, everywhere was full of frenzied idiots going berserk in case they were missing out on a tuppence discount in the sales. Of course, there were screaming, out-of-control kids running around everywhere too, not looking where they were going and totally careless about crashing into people, which I found rather alarming. I shuffled round with my walking stick and my other hand across my middle like a half-shut knife in case one of the horrible little sods collided with me, but it was like hell on earth. Maybe it's just me being a grumpy, post-operative old bag, but in the UK today it seems that parents don't think it's their responsibility to control and discipline their children in public places in order to prevent them being a damn nuisance and a menace to others. As long as their little darlings are out of their hair and not causing them any bother, they couldn't give a stuff how much they annoy everyone else. I blame Supernanny- never mind the bloody naughty step, clip the little bugger round the ear!

So .... another quiet day on the settee popping painkillers, drinking water, and reading the Sunday papers. The District Nurse is coming tomorrow morning to take out my operation clips - oh joy! I shouldn't moan really, the wound, which is huge and looks like a railway line, has healed very well indeed with no problems, infections, weeping, etc. so I should be thankful for that.

Past Member

Hi Egg and Chips, I thought mmmm from UK lol. Well, having read your blog, I really feel for you as you're a newbie to the bag, and having all the things and feelings happen. As far as the soreness around the stoma, try just cleaning it with warm water and then dab dry. That's all I use as I have very sensitive skin. The noises from the stoma and the loose stool are normal as you've just had your op. Things will get better as your eating pattern changes, and so will the stool. The odor you're talking about is also because of it being so new and can be due to what types of food you're eating. A little tip for you, if you can obtain some essential peppermint oil, a few drops of that into the bag before you attach it will help with odor. It helps to make the pouch and contents neutralize things, much better than all the sprays I've tried. I guess you're feeling rather up and down some days. It's early days, take each day as it comes. I remember having the same thoughts as you when I had mine, anger, depression, exception of the bag, but I realized it saved my life and had to come to terms with what I had. It's no picnic, but it allowed me to continue living my life again. Stick with the site, you'll be surprised how many folks on here have the same problems and feelings, but also people here are willing to listen and help. Look forward to reading whatever you want to update us with. Tc Ambies...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,466 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Eggandchips

Hi Ambies, thanks for your kind comments and good advice about the peppermint oil. Yes, it's a case of 'Spot the Brit' with my username, eh? Lol! I could murder a plate of egg and chips but my bag'll probably fly off and splat against the wall ... let's say it's being very 'lively' this evening! ;-)

Past Member

Hi there, another tip: if stool gets very lively and loose, try eating marshmallows. It works a treat and stops a lot of gas from forming. I'm from the UK, East Midlands. Love the username, very UK lol. Try eating small and often. I don't see why you can't eat what you fancy in moderation. It's trial and error and can be a bit scary, I know, but it gets easier. Start with soft food and then gradually introduce other foods. Passing stool can be tender when the stoma is fairly new. I find that not eating heavy meals after 6pm is better for me, but if I get peckish, then a biscuit and hot drink usually helps. Feel free to post any more questions. Everyone will give some advice that may be of help. I love reading the blogs as some have helped me to get to grips with my problems from time to time and have been grateful for answers from others on here. Egg and chips? Yes, I could eat that too lol. Take care, Ambies...

Past Member

Welcome along Egg and Chips. Oh, how I know how. I'm sure we've all been through similar recoveries here. You've received some superb advice here from Ambies which I was glad to get too in my early days. The main thing is not to panic....everything will settle down and you'll get more confident every day. If you've got the time have a look at the previous blogs here and you'd be surprised by what you'll learn. And love the name too! Like Ambies, I could do with a good plate of egg and chips right now...LOL Take care, Colm

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Eggandchips

Hi Colm, thanks for the kind and reassuring words and yes, I shall have a look at some of the other blogs, probably tomorrow. I'm listening to old ska music on YouTube just now and wishing I could dance to it .... never an edifying sight, even pre-op and pre-MS! Lol! xx

mooza

Hey eggandchips, we get you. I kinda had to LOL at your descriptions because you're on the ball. I have to say, it will be a while before the liquid turns firmer. I still have watery shite (HAHA) sometimes. And yeah, I used to nearly vomit every time I emptied, which I thought I had to do every time something came out. It's morning here in Melbourne, so reading your blog even made me wanna gag HAHAHAH. I know it sucks, but there is stuff you can put into the pouch that eliminates the odor. I even know someone's partner who puts mints in the pouch, tic tacs, cheap, easy. I use Hollister 78500. Brilliant. No smell at all. Wait until you eat fish, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww gross. But I don't eat much fish. When I do, I use the Hollister deodorant and no smells. So, pop some on your next osty order. Taa taaaaaaaaaaaaaaa mooza xxxxx :P

Past Member

Oh, you go dance! Who's looking! There's nothing wrong with a little ska music now and again... brings back many happy memories of college days. My sister and her kids often have YouTube disco nights and I'm amazed to hear what they're all listening to at times. Never be afraid to ask questions here... there are so many wonderful folk here more than willing to listen and offer good advice. Enjoy Suggs or Buster Bloodvessel or whoever you're listening to.

Eggandchips

Hi Mooza, thanks for the advice and sorry about my 'straight talking', bit of a failing of mine, that I'm afraid! Hope it didn't put you off your cornflakes! xx

Eggandchips

Colm, I wish I could, but this chopped up old carcass of mine won't let me, plus the spouse would have a hairy canary if he came in and saw me exerting myself. I'd get told off and sent to bed - he takes his nursing duties very seriously! Currently listening to The Pioneers and Long Shot Kick De Bucket, which is highly apt since I darned nearly did! :-0 Lol!

Past Member

Wow, The Pioneers......you really are into your ska! Haven't heard of them in years. I thought they'd broken up in the late 80s. As for "Long Shot Kick De Bucket," I can remember The Specials covering that one. Well, your hubby is right to take good care of you right now. I was still in intensive care after 11 days. What I mean is that it is very early days yet. You'll get your color back and be able to eat most of what you want....just introduce things bit by bit and you'll be just fine. One tip though.....drink plenty of water.....it's amazing how quickly you can become dehydrated. And don't worry about your straight talking.....I think we're all well used to it here. :-) I've ranted a few times here and everyone has been great in their support.

Past Member

Lots of good comments from everyone. Be as patient as you can - it really does get better. Really. Most of us have been where you are. I like a little baking soda in my bag. And I use Ivory soap with no lotion or oils (occasionally) and water - seems to work for me. We each adjust a bit differently. Move gently and with as much ease as possible - looking forward rather than back.

mooza

Hey eggs, I'm a straight talker too. No, you didn't turn me off cornflakes. Eww, wouldn't eat that shite anyway. Heheheheh. But just thinking, I had tissues shoved in my nostrils for every time I emptied that made me remember my gagging, and that hurts even more because you use stomach muscles. So, no throwing up 'cause it's gonna hurt. I know I had 3 stomas off and on over the years. See ya later. Whatever happened to BANGERS AND MASH? Hahahah. Toodles. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

bubby

Just got home in Richmond, VA from a reversal done Friday morning. Popping painkillers and antibiotics, and just lying around hoping things continue to improve. I am optimistic. I will not forget my friends on here though. I'll check in here every now and then. Gotta go get another Dilaudid!! Jay