I should have had more confidence.

Why would I fear an ostomy

protruding from the front of me?

But when the thoughts within my head

changed to reality instead,

the clash of feelings was so strong

at every turn, something felt wrong.

I knew I had to have the op.

but these weird feelings would not stop.

Seeing this thing upon my side

made me want to run and hide.

Sometimes one’s confidence can fade

after a major leap is made.

But when something is just a must

it seems more easy to adjust.

When first I had an ostomy

a mass of doubt came over me.

But with the passing of the years

this ostomy’s allayed those fears.

B. Withers 2013

Calico

Those are some pretty powerful words there, Mr. Bill Withers. I would love to hear from you as time goes by and you've had some time to let all this sink in a little. It is most definitely a life changer. Please don't quit posting and blogging!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello Calico. Thank you for your comments on this verse as the feedback is very much appreciated. Having an ostomy certainly was a life-changer for me. However, as intimated in my verses, those changes were both advantageous as well as disadvantageous. so it leaves me in an ambiguous frame of mind. I am not a paid up member of this site so unfortunately I cannot comunicate with people other than via postings on blogs,forums, or if paid members communicate with me first -- then I can reply. At present I have enough verses surrounding the subject of ostomies to continue blogging at the rate of one per month for at least 2014. However, I have resisted the temptation to post those that delve deeply into the darker side of emotional and psychological matters as I feel they are somewhat peripheral to the practicalities of having an ostomy. Also, as I re-read them, they tend to take my thoughts back to the times when this was how I actually felt (depressed, resentful, angry etc.)and I would rather not re-visit that stuff or help other people to do so. Thus they have all been documented and stored for prosperity elsewhere. Best wishes Bill