Adapting to Life with an Ostomy: How to Handle the Mental Challenges

Replies
Views
jason43

Well, after 2 years of being in and out of the hospital with diverticulitis, the man with the knife got his way. TBH, the pain was becoming intolerable, and the fact that I had developed abscesses and a fistula across to my bladder meant an operation and the undesirable, yet inevitable ostomy would appear on waking up from theatre. Having been informed previously that I would need an op and subsequent 'bag', I was terrified. I'm 43, I keep a healthy level of fitness as an ex-triathlete and general sporty person, all of this was too much for me to contemplate at first. Well, it's been 2 weeks and a couple of days since I have had my new addition, and I think I'm getting used to it. Ultimately, I have a 99% chance of reversal in the future, but the bag is here today & dealing with it is a mental test of the highest calibre. I think we (ostomy patients) have to recalibrate our thoughts and mindset to adjust to the body and waste products we produce. Having to handle poo and clean yourself seems rather strange and dirty at first, but it's getting easier as the days pass. You kind of get into a rhythm, don't you? Anyway, I was wondering how other people have managed to adapt to not using your bottom anymore and living with a new 'front bottom'. Does anyone actually prefer this system to our natural process? There's a thought. It's hard at first, isn't it? But the fact I'm blogging seems to help me realize that it's real & I'm coming to terms with it all. After all, the pain was bad, life does go on, and it ain't all that bad after all. I do prefer the cloth-covered bags though, not having everything on display kind of helps :) I think the next thing I need to get over are the noises .... especially in quiet waiting rooms ... I have been caught out already, rather embarrassing at the time, but on reflection over a glass of wine, my wife & I had a good old giggle about it .... at least we can laugh about it!!! Anyway, that's my story so far.....

KillaloeKnight

Hi Jason43, I hope this finds you safe and well. It would seem to me that, like many others on here, we are bag brothers. I would prefer not to have my bag, but hey, I have learned to live with it. I have to thank the guys in ER and my surgical team who were great, and I hope to see them again in the not so distant future. I only found this site today, thanks to my wife who I have to say has put up with a hell of a lot of shite since I was given my new best friend. She even came into the hospital to speak with my ostomy nurse and see what was involved with changing it and cleaning what is now on the wrong side of my body. I would really prefer my colon to be where it should, but that's the hand I was dealt this time. Tell me, how are you getting along with your new friend?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hello Jason43. Your story is my story. On 11 Sep 2013, they cut out an abscessed piece of my large intestine. Similar to you, a fistula between my colon and bladder also developed due to diverticulitis. The everyday pain was only somewhat numbed by my high consumption of morphine-based painkillers. I am now 40 odd days post-surgery and feeling so much better. I as well will have a reversal within the next 6 months if everything goes as planned. My only lasting effect of the surgery, other than a stoma, is insomnia...do you find it difficult to sleep at night? I even take medicine to help, but it doesn't help. I have a few blogs that I wrote to give me a history of my journey.... You are absolutely right about the good that this site can bring to those of us that are newbies to bowel bags.... Take care, Kolan

KillaloeKnight

Hi Jason, why are you changing your bag so often? I do mine well, try to on every 3rd day. I also think you should tell your friends and, if needed, show them and be proud of your bag. I know it's weird me saying that, but all of my friends have seen it, just not when I need to empty it. Let me know how Saturday goes and enjoy the night.

Past Member

Hello Jason43, for a couple of weeks post-surgery, I used a one-piece open-end bag until my stoma started to heal. I would get about 5 days out of it. Now it doesn't hurt to snap a new bag on and off. I'm thinking you are using a 2-piece system? I actually prefer a one-piece drainable bag.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
melissa31907

I also am 2 weeks out of surgery. I'm using the two-piece Hollister. I'm dealing with it. 15 years ago I had a temp bag. And the new devices are great! Unfortunately, I have to keep this forever. Removed my colon and rectum removed. I didn't know they actually sew your butt closed with stitches! Good luck to everyone. Missy

jason43

Hi again peeps, hi Missy. Thanks for your replies and chat. It's been good reading this website to get a feel for how everyone deals with our little situation. So I had my night out with my old mates and got the elephant out of the room before we drank too much ... and dare I say it ... they were blown away with it, no one knew and they couldn't believe I'd walked into a pub without them knowing anything. If anything, they had nothing but the utmost respect for what I was going through/doing. I couldn't understand their level of concern in truth, it is what it is and we just get on with it, eh? I'm getting used to it, it's not that bad at all. Had a chat with my surgeon on Wed, reversal is 100% in 4 months, I actually said I'm in no rush, let's just take our time make sure it's all right before we go for it ... couldn't believe my own words :), but that's how I feel. Apart from the uncontrolled noises being in the nuddy, it's not bad at all. I've even managed to keep the bag on for 3 days now, thanks to the advice on K'Knigh!!1 Thanks, it's going a lot better and the soreness has gone. Funny how things turn out. Hope everyone's OK. x Jase

melissa31907

Well, you're lucky to get the reversal. I chose the reversal knowing it wouldn't be permanent one day. I was 27 at the time and I made it to 42... The doctor said 5 years tops!! Haha, I got 15. I could have gotten more, but I caved in. I was having dilations every 3 months for my strictures!!!... And I've been doing it for 5 years... But I got a great surgeon... One good thing is that after I used to eat, no matter what or how little, I would swell so big, looking 9 months pregnant. But now I have no swelling. Bags are working good. I'm loving my 2-piece, just snap a new bag on and not have to change my wafer for 3-5 days!! I'm depressed it's forever, I guess, because I'm single. But hey, I was single during the temporary one and guys had no problems!! As long as the other thing worked... Haha, I used to say only one part of me is broken.... Lol, we just joked around... But I'm older now..... I haven't been looking, but one day I may try love again.... Take care, my friends:)

Past Member

Hello. Mine may be temporary, and I have a neighbor with a permanent one. We give one another support and supplies... lol. I never knew she had one until I got mine in March 2018. I advise everyone I have a bag now, and I personally don't care if they shriek about it or not. Ostomates are never alone, as someone you may have known for years may be a closet ostomate. If this had been a limb I lost, I would have to think the same way, as we all are wearing prognostics. Hang in there!!!