Best Stool Softener/Colostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
CarrieAnn

Could I please have the benefit of experience on stool softeners? I am taking a new Rx med that is really causing me problems. I am drinking lots of water but I still need help! Naturally, I would like something that doesn't create the opposite problem. Thank you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa
Nurse
Hi Carrie Ann.

The standard over-the-counter stool softener is Docusate Sodium (Colace is a brand name); dosage anywhere from 100mg daily to twice a day, or 250mg daily. You can titrate it with your judgment to keep things moving.

Some natural remedies: good old prunes or prune juice daily; I have seen some folks here mention grape juice helps. Bet the ostomates here have good advice on that.

Hope this helps.

By the way...love your picture. What kind of horse?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
CarrieAnn

Thanks much! I will try Colace. PJ works, for sure, but I am low-carb dieting and that puts me over my carb limit.

Love getting a compliment on my horse -- thank you! He is a Quarter Horse.

Whoa
Nurse
Hey Carrie Ann

I didn't stop to ask what type of ostomy you have? If it's a colostomy, no problem to take stool softeners. If it's a urostomy, no problem. If it's an ileostomy, you should NEVER need stool softeners or laxatives. Just checking.....

It would be great if you would write a new thread about yourself and your horse, riding. I've had one equestrian ostomate, and another with upcoming surgery. I get asked the questions, and can only answer technically that one should be able to do whatever they like post ostomy surgery. I'd love to hear first hand from you. I have horses, no stoma and I'm a lousy rider myself...not a great one to give advice! Better heard from the horse's mouth.... OK, I know that was a bad one.....
Past Member

Whoa, I believe this board is rubbing off on you!!! Anyhow, bravo...good one.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
sweede

Lactulose is also an excellent stool softener that can be taken on a daily basis. It is commonly prescribed for older people to help move the bowels along. It's worth asking your GP if it is a suitable option for you.

budd002

I find that room temperature applesauce does it for me. I rarely have an issue when it comes to hard stool as I will have a small bit of applesauce as a snack every afternoon and at night. It can't hurt...might help.

sweede

Apple sauce, huh? That's very interesting. I think I might try that from time to time. Thanks, lass.x