Camping Adventures: Overcoming Health Challenges and Finding Solutions

Replies
Views
CascadianAaron

Once upon a time, I was an avid outdoorsman. I was an outdoor guide, leading camping, backpacking, hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, rafting, etc. trips all around the West Coast and Southwest. But the health problems have reduced my trips. In addition to my ostomy, I also suffer from pretty severe sleep apnea. It runs in my family and likely killed my grandfather prematurely. So I use an APAP machine and pretty much can't sleep without it.

Recently, I was invited by a friend to do a two-day rafting trip down the Deschutes River in central Oregon. Now I've run the Grand Canyon, so the Deschutes is just a cute little river in comparison (save one Class VI rapid that is not runnable). But this presented two problems for me: limited bathrooms/vault toilets and no power sources (I camp in a trailer most of the time and have a 12V setup for my APAP machine). For the toilet issue, I found a simple solution: a bagging system that was sealed and odor-tight. So I literally defecated into a bag...then emptied that bag into another bag! I reused the bags multiple times, so in the end, I only used three disposal bags in total and just threw them in the garbage at the takeout. I chose to leave the APAP machine behind as it is bulky and the battery system is even bulkier. This was a mistake; I got terrible sleep both nights (we camped the first night near the launching location). I slept on a cot under the stars so I didn't keep anyone awake in a tent, but I'm now looking at getting a compact APAP machine for camping as I'd like to run some more rivers (John Day, Owyhee, for example).

The good news is I feel confident even without toilets available due to the bag system I found. I've looked at compact APAP machines with small batteries, but they run well over $600 plus I'd need extra batteries or a charging system (solar is what I use for my trailer).

-Aaron

Bill
Hello Aaron. Your story sounds very similar to my own in that once upon a time I used to take young people to do all those outdoor activities. However, besides the CPAP machine and the stoma, I now have old age and all the accompanying ailments to cope with - including arthritis. I am fairly confident that I would no longer be comfortable camping or camper-vaning. Thar doesn't stop us going to the same places we used to, it just means that we now need comfortable and adequate accommodation as a base for our forays into the wilderness. I could not even contemplate spending a night without my CPAP machine as that would be the ruin of any subsequent daytime activity because I would be asleep on my feet. As it is, I have virtually no tiredness problems during the day so can enjoy whatever activities I choose to do without collapsing into a slumber every five minutes.
Best wishes
Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,463 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

Hi Aaron, I'm not a camping person, but my husband also uses that machine. But you were fast on your feet for thinking as far as getting rid of the waste. I applaud you for coming up with a plan that worked for you, hopefully if and when you choose another camping trip, they will hopefully have a place to go. Have a good day!!! Angelicamarie

CascadianAaron

Bill, thanks to Prednisone, I also have aches and pains as well as two replacement hips... So yeah, the physical part is tough too. But somehow I can overcome the physical pain better when I'm outdoors and away from the chaotic pace of life in the city.

Immarsh

Hi Aaron....and everyone else...
Kudos to you for getting back to the outdoors. I've had my ostomy for 50 years, so I learned about coping with the outdoors (camping, hiking, traveling, etc.) along the road "growing up". As a kid and young adult, nothing fazed me, and I improvised and took a lot of chances. I've been using a CPAP/BiPAP machine for more than 20 years....almost the same amount of time I've been traveling. Be it camping (RV) or long-distance travel (China, Africa, Israel, Japan, Malta, Europe, etc.), I don't leave home without it. I have converters and adapters for every country, and the first thing I do when I get to my room is plug in. A friend of mine died of a heart attack during a camping trip....he didn't bring his CPAP. I don't even take naps without using it. Am I neurotic....maybe, just don't want to take chances. I'm in Bill's situation now.....old age is creeping up on me, so I do need to take that into account. I can't do all the things I used to do....but do not want to give up on doing the things I love. So I adapt. It does sound like you're taking better care of yourself by doing the things you enjoy. While divorce is not pleasant, it is nice to indulge yourself by being able to be yourself. Best of luck. Marsha

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
weewee

Hi CascadianAaron.
I go bow hunting and hunting. I don't have a CPAP or BiPAP machine, so I keep the bears away from snoring. I have the drainable pouches. For me, I have to watch the temperatures. If it gets too hot, my wax ring causes my leaks by swelling up. If I get wet for too long, then the wafer peels away. I have tried many tapes, but they don't like my skin. I so enjoy the outdoors. I am going fishing tomorrow at a good river, so I will be taking a good nap. The sound of the water just knocks me out.

kittykitty

Hi wee wee. I learned of a skin care process from YouTube where you dust stomahesive powder on the skin then brush off excess powder. Then you gently spray the skin with Cavilon No Sting Barrier Film and let it dry. I repeat this 2-3 times, covering the stoma with gauze or paper. It has really solved my skin irritation problems. Hope this helps.