Irrigación: Frecuencia y Consejos

Replies
Views
María

Hola, ¿alguien del foro realiza irrigaciones? ¿Cada cuántos días? Estoy intentando realizarlas solo un par de veces por semana porque hacerlas cada dos días, como me dijo mi enfermera, se me hace muy pesado.

w30bob

Translation: Hello, does anyone from the forum do irrigation? Every few days? I'm trying to do them only a couple of times a week because doing them every other day as my nurse told me is very heavy.

I think 'heavy' means 'too much'. Can you irrigators help her out???

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Maria.

Sorry I cannot write my answer in your own language, but if Bob has found a way to translate into English, then I'm sure that it would be possible to reverse the process. (Thanks to Bob for the translation!)
I have irrigated every day since 5 weeks out from my operation which was years ago. The reason for the everyday process was that I could only last a day and a half before I had output, and there was no way I could or would want to irrigate every 36 hours. Hence, it is a daily (24hr) routine for me.
I do not know how experienced your nurse is in these matters but, as has been said many times on this site: ‘everyone is different and have different needs regarding the management of stomas’.
Things that might be pertinent to think about are: what problems you suffered before the stoma, and whether there is anything that would have a detrimental effect if irrigation was practiced too often. 
My stoma nurse recently suggested that my colon had possibly ‘turned to mush’ (whatever that means) and the alternative option would be to go back to wearing bags. 
 However, my interpretation of this was that the gut and the peristalsis were no longer working as they should in a healthy gut. This may or may not have anything to do with irrigation as the reason I had the operation was an internal prolapse, which presumably indicated the same sort of thing that she now describes as a ‘mushy gut’. 
I am still irrigating daily because I am reluctant to go back to wearing bags and all the disadvantages that brings.

I believe that the management of our stomas is a very personal choice based on the information available and the wants, desires, hopes and expectations that we have for our daily lives. There are risks involved in everything we do and it is sometimes useful to know more precisely what they are, so that we can make more informed decisions.
If I were in your position, I would want to know (in much more detail) the reason behind the nurse’s comments and whether continued irrigation would carry unacceptable risks, that I hadn’t already thought about.

Best of luck with your information gathering and your ultimate decision making.

Best wishes
Bill

mild_mannered_super_hero

How often you irrigate depends on what you eat. For most folks, it's every day. In my case, I optimize my diet by eating low-residue foods and very limited fiber intake. Have you tried irrigating and then waiting to see how many days it takes before you have output? You may direct message me if I can be of any help, but I don't speak Spanish. Good luck.

Arkangeluz

Hola María, yo tengo ileostomía así que puedo contestar a tu pregunta. Leo que ya algunos miembros han contestado y espero que eso ayude, de cualquier manera te saludo desde Tucson, Arizona, USA. Tengas un excelente día.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob
Reply to Bill

Per Google Translate:

Hola María,

Lo siento, no puedo escribir mi respuesta en tu propio idioma, pero si Bob ha encontrado una manera de traducir al inglés, entonces estoy seguro de que sería posible revertir el proceso. (¡Gracias a Bob por la traducción!) He regado todos los días desde hace 5 semanas desde mi operación, que fue hace años. La razón del proceso diario era que solo podía durar un día y medio antes de tener salida, y no había forma de que pudiera o quisiera regar cada 36 horas. Por lo tanto, es una rutina diaria (24 horas) para mí. No sé cuán experimentada es su enfermera en estos asuntos, pero, como se ha dicho muchas veces en este sitio: "cada persona es diferente y tiene diferentes necesidades con respecto al manejo de los estomas". Las cosas en las que podría ser pertinente pensar son: qué problemas sufrió antes del estoma y si hay algo que tendría un efecto perjudicial si la irrigación se practicara con demasiada frecuencia. Mi enfermera de estomas sugirió recientemente que mi colon posiblemente se había "convertido en papilla" (lo que sea que eso signifique) y la opción alternativa sería volver a usar bolsas. Sin embargo, mi interpretación de esto fue que el intestino y el peristaltismo ya no funcionaban como deberían en un intestino sano. Esto puede o no tener nada que ver con el riego, ya que la razón por la que tuve la operación fue un prolapso interno, que presumiblemente indicaba el mismo tipo de cosas que ahora describe como un "intestino blando". Sigo regando diariamente porque soy reacio a volver a usar bolsas y todas las desventajas que eso trae. Creo que el manejo de nuestros estomas es una elección muy personal basada en la información disponible y los deseos, deseos, esperanzas y expectativas que tenemos para nuestra vida diaria. Hay riesgos involucrados en todo lo que hacemos y a veces es útil saber con mayor precisión cuáles son, para que podamos tomar decisiones más informadas. Si estuviera en su posición, me gustaría saber (con mucho más detalle) la razón detrás de los comentarios de la enfermera y si la irrigación continua conllevaría riesgos inaceptables, en los que aún no había pensado. La mejor de las suertes con su recopilación de información y su toma de decisiones final.

Mis mejores deseos,

Bill

w30bob
Reply to mild_mannered_super_hero

Mild_mannered_super_hero escribió:

La frecuencia con la que riega depende de lo que coma. Para la mayoría de la gente es todos los días, en mi caso optimizo mi dieta comiendo alimentos bajos en residuos y una ingesta muy limitada de fibra. ¿Ha intentado regar y luego esperar a ver cuántos días tarda en tener salida? Puede enviarme un mensaje directo si puedo ser de ayuda, pero no hablo español. Buena suerte

María
Reply to Bill

Hello, thanks for answering. Yes, the page translates into Spanish even if they write in another language. It's fine. My problem was cancer.

María
Reply to w30bob

Gracias, no os traduce la página? Escribiré en inglés

María
Reply to Arkangeluz

Hello, greetings from Spain.

María
Reply to mild_mannered_super_hero

Hello, I am finally getting it, little by little. I am extending the time to three days.

María
Reply to w30bob

Hello, thank you very much.