Ayahuasca Retreat Experience with Ostomy

Replies
Views
SheriFoster53

Hello,

I'm considering an Ayahuasca ceremony and am looking for ostomates who have attended a retreat. I would like to know their experience specifically as it relates to the ostomy, such as being in a remote location, the vegetarian food, and the actual ceremony itself. If you have, please message me!

With love,

Sheri

Justbreathe

At 79 years old, I find it fascinating that there are words/things I have never heard about and am still curious enough to go to the all-knowing Google for answers. Too bad this fascination did not exist in my brain in my youth when it was surely needed. Where was Google then? Well, it sat in a bookcase with dozens of volumes also known as encyclopedias - very cumbersome and required far too much of my teenage life to review. I wished my folks could have received a refund on that expense!

Now in response to your question and with Google's assistance, I will say, as an ostimate with a parastomal (not uncommon) hernia, one of my major fears (ranks right up there with leakage) would be vomiting! That being said, I share with you an excerpt from Google.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,456 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tmn68

I envy you, it sounds so amazing!!

Please update me on your journey, I really want to experience that someday.

gentlejohn

It is hard to comment unless we know how the ayahuasca beverage is made. Nausea/vomiting and diarrhea are things you should avoid. I ended up in the ER with IVs last Christmas Eve because of a GI bug that gave me nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. Should that happen to you, some alert person needs to be available to take you to the ER.

Mr.Heart2Win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAELUL1IdIY

https://soltara.co/dr-gabor-mate/

If you are into Ayahuasca and all these explorations, you must follow Dr. Gabor Mate and his daughter who specializes in using mushrooms, Ayahuasca, and all related experiences to explore the psyche. Dr. Gabor Mate is the best psychologist in the world, hands down. No one is even close. The man is illuminating in all ways and is the only one that really understands humankind's troubled soul and can explain it well. His daughter has a book also. It's time well spent. I am a writer, would love to experience mushrooms. It'd be great for creativity, but don't have the time to find this. It is legal here now in this region to even grow mushrooms now and use them. Pretty liberal town, very open-minded. I know the region where Ayahuasca is practiced and I know the practitioners also. I own a home there and can travel anytime I can there. I will get to it within the next couple of years, I'm sure. It's pretty intense, so I'm curious as to what you will experience having an ostomy. It includes vomiting, which I don't know how that would go with this condition. It'd be interesting to find out, so keep us informed.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SheriFoster53
Reply to Justbreathe

I did read a ton about the vomiting. Was one of my concerns because I don't like doing it! Especially in front of other people. One must prepare the body ahead of time by stopping medications, and changing diet to all clean foods. This reduces the nausea and vomiting. So I'm no longer afraid of that part. Thank you for responding. I love having this platform!

SheriFoster53
Reply to Mr.Heart2Win

This place is at the top of my list! I will read more about the doctor that you are referring to. I was afraid of the vomiting when first hearing of it. Aya requires a strict diet and basically no medications leading up to the ceremony and week after during integration. This reduces the nausea and vomiting. So I'm not so afraid of that part. I've already done research to make sure I could reserve a private room with a private bathroom. And that was one part that was concerning having an Ileostomy! Thank you for your input. I do appreciate it!!

SheriFoster53
Reply to tmn68

I will definitely update and chronicle my journey. In fact, I should start journaling now as I'm weaning off of antidepressants so that I can attend the retreat! That and changing my diet will be big challenges for me. Well, and traveling alone! Thank you for responding!!

SheriFoster53
Reply to gentlejohn

That is definitely a concern. I'm inquiring regarding the availability of Western medical aid should the need arise. I didn't even consider that I could catch a bug. Thank you for this!

María

I am very interested in this subject. I have wanted to do a retreat for a long time, but I do not dare to do it because of the colostomy in case it causes diarrhea. I know of a group of ayahuasca ceremonies here in Spain that are supervised by doctors, but I do not dare and I would like to do it. Please, if someone does, tell us the experience.

María
Reply to Mr.Heart2Win

Mushrooms are a great experience. They are very mind-opening. I have tried them several times. Before I had my ostomy, I never had vomiting or diarrhea, but I didn't have an ostomy yet. But I like the experience with Psilocybe. However, with Amanita muscaria, I don't like the experience. It's different.

SheriFoster53
Reply to María

I've narrowed it down to two different places and have been communicating with both about my ostomy. So far, they've been loving, accommodating, and have made me feel as if my limitation isn't a limitation at all. I plan to be hydrated, stay hydrated, and get plenty of rest. I will bring my hydration drops with me as well. I am thinking of making an ongoing post to chronicle my experience if anyone is interested.

SheriFoster53
Reply to María

I wish I could get mushrooms here as I've never tried them. I did try acid once so I do have a teeny idea of what to expect!

SheriFoster53
Reply to María

I will make another post as I go through my journey. I'm thinking of starting a blog.

tmn68
Reply to María

Mushrooms are awesome!

I microdose every day!!

Mr.Heart2Win
Reply to tmn68

That sounds awesome, never tried them but curious about that experience. I love to explore new stuff, creative related. I'm curious as to how to source this product. There is a group here, pretty good size, for mushroom enthusiasts. Mushrooms have always been a big deal here. I just never associated myself with that network, and only now that I am engaged in a creative activity and project that I am curious. I've been trying to attend their meetings but time is limited.