Stuck Bag: Will It Still Work?

Replies
Views
Sunshinealot

I have a very thick output and when emptying the bag it is often left stuck together with output... I empty everything that I can get to the bottom of the bag but the bag remains flattened. Will it still work? My Ostomy nurse said not to change the appliance except every other day. Is this okay? Thanks for any help. Sunshine

Maried

You can change the bag as often as you like, as long as your skin around your stoma stays healthy. I change almost daily. I have a colostomy and use a one-piece.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Pour a little warm water in the bag, close it up, swish it around and empty again to clean it out better.

TerryLT

You could also add more water to your diet to loosen your output. There are also lubricants you can put in your bag that will help slide the output out.

Terry

warrior

Agreed.. Increase liquid intake.

Add water to bag.

If you got a good barrier seal, you should be okay for a few more days without changing the appliance.

I go about 5 days.

Used to be 7.. You just learn day by day when.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
lovely

Put a little bit of baby oil in the bag after you rinse it out. Then blow a little bit of air in the bag.

gentlejohn

I agree with delgrl525 above. I know what you are talking about. Try routinely placing a stoma designated lubricant/deodorant in the bag before you change your barrier and every time you empty it. Also, increase your fluid intake so your output is not so thick. I understand it is unwise to use vegetable oil or household lubricants because they could interfere with your barrier.