Reversal Recovery: 4 Month Update

Replies
Views
elledubuque

Hey all!

It's been a hot minute so I thought I'd give a quick check-in.

One cool thing that happened before my reversal is I posted an ostomy pic on World Awareness Day to my social media. I hadn't really let all that many people know what was going on with me for all sorts of reasons, from being pretty private in general to the usual amount of weirdo feelings that come along with having an ostomy. It's hard to talk about it when you are still struggling to understand it. Anyways.... The cool thing that happened is I accomplished what I wanted with the post! One of my community members recently reached out and let me know the post inspired him to get his colonoscopy. They found some stuff, but feel confident that they were able to address it all in time. So, that Facebook post featuring my sexy poo bag did one person good. Yeah me! Yeah him!

My recovery has been coming along well. I'd say my poop has progressed from brown water to squiggles to long skinny tootsie rolls and here and there an occasional almost normal poop.

The frequency is still erratic as I figure out what I can eat. Sadly, for me, peanuts are now out. I don't know what came over me but even though I knew I shouldn't, I ate two giant handfuls in some sort of a "you're not the boss of me" moment. I had that same feeling I'd have after defying my mom... Like damn, if I had only listened to you I wouldn't still be dating this jackass or spending the night in jail! But a little different, like shitting out peanuts every 20 minutes for 10 hours straight. And no, it does not matter how much I chewed them up. I was like, if I chew them forever it will be like just eating peanut butter. Nope.

I have my year from original surgery colonoscopy on May 8 as my final look through to make sure they got everything and that all looks good. I did blow off an oncology appointment because I have been so sick of having my blood drawn. Bad, I know, but I'll book that appointment after the colonoscopy and then fingers crossed I can avoid hospitals, labs, and doctor's offices for a bit.

I hope everyone here is feeling good and finding the little things in life that make them happy!

I'll check in again in a couple of months

Elle D.

Axl

Good for you, girl. I hope you get everything you wish for. x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,462 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Hope it all turns out perfect. By the way, I get the blood draw thing, not my favorite thing anymore either.

w30bob

Glad to hear things are progressing well Elle!!

;O)

Bill

Hello elle d.
Thanks for the update. it's always good to read how people are getting on, especially when it sounds positive.

Best wishes

Bill

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Caz67

Hi Elle

Thanks for keeping us posted on your reversal. It helps a lot of people who are waiting or thinking about having it done. XX

Delsol93

Hi Elle,

Very happy with my reversal too. Got officially released on 3/3/23. 3 months after. This forum was very helpful for me. I hope you continue to improve!

Take care,

John

gentlejohn

Congratulations.

CrappyColon

I just realized I'm 4 months post-reversal too, but didn't do the math till I saw your post. I'm thinking I skimmed your post earlier and that's why I was questioning if I should buy peanuts at the store. I appreciate your description of what looks like now. My SIL had asked me to describe it, and I was like, well... it was hard to put into words, but I think you did a good job. I tell people (that ask) think smaller looking poop because it's coming from a small intestine and not a large intestine anymore.

madronaapt
Reply to Delsol93

Would like to hear more about your day to day symptoms after colostomy reversal. Especially exactly how it impacted your life. Thanks so much for sharing :)