Probiotics After Reversal: Recommendations?

Replies
Views
Stoma1949

I had my reversal in October of 2022. I was wondering if it was recommended for you to take a probiotic afterwards. And if so, do you have a recommendation for a specific brand? I never really got an answer to that question, and trust in the advice from this group. Thank you for your help! L

CrappyColon

If I remember, I can ask my GI Dr. Monday, but he isn't my go-to for more natural stuff. I'll probably have a better answer for you after May 1st after I meet with functional med at Cleveland Clinic. Hopefully, you'll get a good response before then though.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,484 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Stoma,

Probiotics are good to take regardless of being reversed or not. The problem is there are so many brands out there, and the claims are all over the place. I take two, one in the morning and one later around dinnertime. I use the generic versions of Align Probiotics and Culturelle Probiotics. Those were the strain combinations recommended to me by an IBD Dietician. I get the generic versions at Walmart for a lot less than the name brands. Will be interesting to see what everyone else uses.

;O)

Bob

Beth22

You can also do natural probiotics, which is a lot easier on your stomach and intestines. Good old regular yogurt.

AlexT

I'm not reversed but I eat yogurt every day.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beth22

Yogurt is the most natural way. Then you don't have all the gut-turning and pains and whatnot. Then in pill form are tough on the body, mine anyways, and others I know.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

What type of yogurt do you eat?

Beth22
Reply to CrappyColon

All yogurt has probiotics in it... Before all these probiotic pills and probiotic yogurt, which makes zero sense because yogurt is already a natural probiotic. That's what you were told to eat. Especially if antibiotics stripped all of your good away... Probiotics are to put good bacteria in your gut and intestines.

Immarsh

Hi, I still have my ileostomy (for almost 60 years) but because of other health and digestive issues, several of my doctors recommended a probiotic, but did not specify which one. Very confusing, since there are commercial brands, and equivalent store brands, with different prices, and different "counts" (in the millions/billions) of active ingredients. So I had a talk with the pharmacist, and he pointed out that the "highest active ingredient" determines the price.... so I look for the equivalent store brand (compared to Align or Culturelle, with the highest "active ingredient". If still not sure, ask your pharmacist... He/she is a good source of information. Don't get caught up in "brand names"...... I use the store brand of Allegra (Fexofenadine), which used to be about 25 cents a pill, instead of a dollar. But now, the store brand is packaging only small amounts (15 pills) and the price is equal to the name brand.... The more informed the consumer, the more aware we become of how we are being "played" by manufacturers, or packaging... But when you need the product..... you're stuck. Best of luck to you. Marsh..

Bob 48

I eat Greek yogurt for probiotics, and it usually has more protein than other yogurts, but all yogurt has probiotics.

CrappyColon
Reply to Beth22

I meant like brand/your favorite go-to

w30bob
Reply to Beth22

Well... technically 'yes'... all yogurt has probiotics in it. There's no way it can't, as it's part of the fermentation process. But as usual, it's not that simple. And that's because commercial yogurt is heat pasteurized to give it some shelf life... otherwise it would spoil in a day or two. And heat kills probiotic bacteria. Age also kills it... so although every commercial yogurt starts out with probiotics in it... most is killed when it's processed and the rest dies if you don't get it as soon as it's delivered to your store. Got to love advertising... no?

You should also look for a yogurt with PREbiotics in it, which act as a fertilizer of sorts for the probiotic bacteria to thrive and do their thing... if they're still alive. The best answer is to make your own yogurt at home and eat it the same day... if you really want the maximum amount of probiotics in your gut... or take a pill!

;O)

Beth22
Reply to w30bob

Lol, well, we will agree to disagree on that one. It's been around for decades, and a doctor will tell you to eat yogurt first before a pill. And no way on the pills. I have taken them in the past, and it messed up my gut and my intestines 10x worse than it already was. Not only that, but you can eat yogurt, get the good bacteria, and not mess up your gut, especially if your body doesn't really need it. When you take a pill, it jacks up your entire system. If your gut doesn't need it and is producing enough good bacteria on its own, it will mess up your system, and then you also have massive pain and cramps.

susanpayne957

Hi, I had my reversal in December. I drink kefir, which is quite delicious to me, as I don't like milk. So, you get a probiotic and calcium boost too. Maybe I should take probiotic capsules as well. Here, the NHS dietitians say they are okay to take. Hope you recover well.

susanpayne957

Hi, I had my reversal in December. I drink kefir, which is quite delicious to me, as I don't like milk. So, you get a probiotic and calcium boost too. Maybe I should take probiotic capsules as well. Here, the NHS dietitians say they are okay to take. Hope you recover well.

Arlo

I had my reversal in mid-December 2022. I had a temporary colostomy. I was always taking probiotics, and I asked my surgeon if it was okay to continue and she said yes. I take Culturelle brand. The most recommended is a brand called Align. It is super expensive, and Culturelle is also a good one. Also, my surgeon recommended daily or more Metamucil. I only take that once daily. It is good for digestion and avoids constipation. It's only a fiber supplement. The majority of people do not get enough daily fiber in their diet, so it's a very good idea. Best of luck to you.

SaharaToo
Reply to CrappyColon

I get raw milk and yogurt made from raw milk

scooby81472
Reply to w30bob

I have IBS with my colostomy bag. I just started taking Pre Plus probiotics, but some people are telling me that they can constipate me worse. Linzess is a prescription form, but she told me to watch and see if the pre + probiotics would constipate me. I have noticed the change. I don't know what to do now. Should I continue to take them and see how it goes?

Sunshine Girl
Reply to w30bob

I am also really interested to hear what everyone else is doing that might be working.

I just got a gummy form of pre and probiotics this past week. I was able to get both in one gummy. I take 2 a day. With my ileostomy, breaking things down into a usable form quickly is a must. I look for chewable, liquid, or gummy forms of vitamins now in hope that it helps, but I don't know anything for sure! :)

(I am not able to eat dairy so yogurt isn't a good option for me.)

Sunshine Girl

Mr.Heart2Win

I did not align had a generic at Walmart, bought the full price for years until Costco came with their own. Costco has great generic medicines by the way. Their probiotic has as much as Align, for less than half the price, not even. I am walking testament that probiotics work. My nurse recommended them to me for abdominal and stomach pain and discomfort, nothing would diminish the inflammation, suffered from this for years. That is until I took just a few doses of Align probiotics and the pain and inflammation went away, could not believe it because I never believed in these natural remedies before. After years of discomfort, it's a miracle really.

I am a convert now. I drink six ounces of Kefir daily, delicious, then I pop four of the Costco probiotic pills. When I stop this regimen, in just a week the irritation comes back. It's an amazing product and with the Kefir you double the potency. So the pills work for sure, natural yogurt never helped me as much and tried so many organic brands, not even close to what these natural pills do. Align and the Costco brand were the two that have the best effects for me but one is so much more affordable.

For those of you that suffer from fatigue, try MACA. I buy these pills from a cooperative, all organic, and are a miracle, they give you enormous energy and is all natural, the pure root. It's a powerful energy booster and no caffeine or the stuff they add to vitamins to make them feel like they are doing something, it's just caffeine and speed. Had I started this Kefir/probiotic regime years ago, I wouldn't have an ostomy now. Good luck with these product, hope it helps you as much as it helps me.

CrappyColon
Reply to SaharaToo

How quickly do you need to use raw milk/raw milk-based products?

w30bob
Reply to CrappyColon

Within 1-2 days.

:o)

w30bob
Reply to Beth22

Roger that... but we're both right. Commercial yogurt has to use pasteurized milk. Milk is pasteurized at either 185 F (85 C) for 30 minutes or 203 F (95 C) for 10 minutes to kill all the pathogenic (bad) bacteria. Yogurt is made by heating and cooling the milk. Whether the probiotics are alive or dead when you drink it just depends on when they're added to the milk. To make yogurt, it needs to be heated to around 176 F (80 C) to 200 F (93 C), then cooled to a temp between 112 F and 115 F (44.4 C and 46 C). The temperature and time it's heated is what determines how thick it'll be. Adding the probiotic bacteria to the yogurt while it's hot will kill them because those strains die at temperatures above 130 F (54.4 C). So whether the milk is pre-pasteurized or pasteurized in the yogurt making process doesn't matter... but it has to be pasteurized. So what matters is when the probiotic bacteria are added to the yogurt. Before it cools to 130F and it dies. After it cools below that it lives. So you just need to contact the maker of the yogurt you want to eat and ask them when they add the probiotic strains... then you'll know if the probiotic bacteria strains are alive or dead when you eat them. Easy-peasy.

;O)

Torresbeto

I take a shot of GoodBelly in addition to having yogurt.

w30bob

Ya know.......while we're on the subject of yogurt.......sugar free is the way to go, but some have issues with sugar alcohol. Funny how they'd put sugar (and a lot of it) in something that's supposed to be good for your gut. Sugar causes intestinal inflammation, but probiotics work to balance your gut flora to suppress an autoimmune response to the bad bacteria. So they make it worse......and then better.......sounds like a zero sum game. Go figure.

There is a yogurt out there, and probably others, that is truly sugar free and sugar alcohol free.........called Chobani Zero Sugar. They filter out the lactose from the milk and use natural sugar substitutes......Stevia I think. And it tastes good......just had a cup. I'm feeling healthier already!

Hi-Ho Silver.........Awaaaaay!

;O)