Emptying Ileostomy Bag: Standing or Sitting?

Replies
Views
jalrein

I have an ileostomy so this question is directed to those who have one also. Do you stand up while emptying your bag or do you sit down while doing that? When I was in the hospital and the nurses were explaining the ins and outs of having this, they recommended sitting down to prevent "splashing." I, however, find it easiest to stand up while emptying...

Rose Bud 🌹

Whatever works for you. For me, it was the opposite in the hospital. They have me stand to do it, but after I got home, it was a different story with the splashing (the seats were higher up in the hospital). So I now sit down. But if for some reason you need to measure your output, standing would be the way to go! (At least for me)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,432 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus

I prefer to stand in front of the toilet because I'm a lady and I don't want anything splashing onto my private area if I sit. What I do is place toilet paper in the front part of the bowl and try to empty it in that area so it hits the paper. I still get a little splash sometimes if it doesn't hit it just in the right area. Some people kneel but I don't think I want to be kneeling on bathroom floors. I have been doing it standing since I've gotten my ostomy. I tried it sitting once and it was all just too awkward for me. Seemed like much more hassles.

w30bob

Being 6'2" tall, there's no way I'd stand and let it drop from that high above the toilet... way too messy. I kneel on one knee, place the bag over the edge of the bowl, and open. This way there's no chance of splashing anything on me. I'm not a sitter.

;O)

CrappyColon

I had issues trying to stand to do it and especially at first had a difficult adjustment to looking at the contents- I hated having to measure everything the first 2 weeks home. Some people sit reverse on the toilet so facing the tank- one of my favorite ostomy nurses was like "Jodie you don't need to do that, just sit like normal and it will help you adjust to this" and I did what she said. She's on the advisory board for one of the main ostomy companies in the US, blanking on which one (not Hollister though). She was one of the best coaches helping me adjust to having a piece of small intestine hanging out on the outside. I did do the flush thing first so no splatter.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

I feel like sometimes tall people just like to brag about being tall.

Longroad78

Have always stood over the toilet but putting down a few squares of toilet paper to reduce splashback. Have to bend the knees a little to not be too high up. Tried the sitting but do not trust the possibility for splashback on clothes.

If you want you can say "bombs away." Every time

jeanneskindle

I stand. I am only 5 ft 1 ish so no 6 ft free fall for me! When I had my emergency ostomy surgery, I was only 45, and that was 23 years ago. I was so embarrassed in the women's restroom because I stood to empty the bag, that I actually sometimes took my shoes off and turned them backwards. The things we do for pride.

AlexT

I'm just a worthless colostomy person, but I kneel on one knee 99% of the time. Flush the toilet, as the water is going down, empty your bag. No splash and you'll save a lot of toilet paper.

Ben38

At home, kneel down on the floor. When out, drop some toilet paper down the pan and stand up to empty... just do what you feel is right for yourself. There's no right or wrong way, just what's right for you.

Poppy Red

At home I kneel. Can't get the hang of sitting. When I'm out I may stand but I don't like it. For me it's easier to just do a quick change when out. But it has to be warm, cold bags don't stick well on my skin, so I might have one ready next to my skin warming up when I'm out for the day. Normally I wait till I get home.

Does anyone have any tips for getting a cold bag to stick better?

w30bob
Reply to CrappyColon

Hey Napoleon... maybe sometimes we do! Wink, wink!

CrappyColon
Reply to Poppy Red

Poppy, are you asking for tips on how to warm it up while out? Or just in general where you may be at home and can use a hair dryer on a low setting? I used a heating pad.

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

Napoleon said women were only good for their wombs & under his laws women were still considered property of their father or husband.

ELK NUT

So here's my two cents.

At home, I sit, and at work or out in the public, I will stand over a paper-lined toilet to avoid splatter. I am 6'3". I have been doing this practice now for close to a year with no incidents.

Do what works best for you. Stand, kneel, or sit. Just be comfortable in your decisions and results.

eefyjig
Reply to jeanneskindle

Oh my, I so understand this!

CrappyColon
Reply to ELK NUT

Jeanne, I think we have another tall person bragging about being tall.

CrappyColon
Reply to jeanneskindle

I mentioned you in a comment, just wanted to make sure you see it since I can't tag you.

TerryLT

I'm a sitter myself. A little toilet paper on the surface to prevent splashing. By the way, I emptied exactly the same way when I had my colostomy, no difference except now it's on my right side instead of my left. I don't see why there would be any difference in how one empties whether they have a colostomy or an ileostomy.

Terry

Ostomate & woundr

I'm too fluffy (well, make that big) to sit and try to let it go between my legs. My massive ass pretty much covers most of the smaller round toilet seats. I'm 5'4, neither really tall nor really short. I too line with toilet paper, but these days all the toilet paper in women's restrooms is like a thin ribbon, and you have to go through miles of it to try and coat in the front of the bowl. The things that the owners of public restrooms will do to save money. When I was young, it used to be little squares of something that felt like wrapping or waxed paper, not absorbent at all, about 4x4 inches. Does anybody else remember those? The only time standing in the stall really bothered me were the times when toddlers are peeking around the cracks and think you're very strange. I've had a few young naive mothers think that I'm some sort of trani. You should see how fast they get their toddlers out of the bathroom. It's amazing any of us have any pride or modesty left after what we've been through in the hospital. So in public, I stand, but just in case if emergencies, I keep about five "Ziplock" bags in my purse. Because sometimes bending to empty in the toilet hurts my back. I left my back is already sore for one reason or another, I just sit down, use a Ziplock bag, zip it shut, throw it in the trash. I remove as much air as possible first. When I have access to such, I used to use biohazard Ziplock bags, but I no longer have access to those. I could probably buy some biohazard stickers or something to put on them, but. Quite a number of years ago, I used to use a flushable ostomy liner. You have to use it with a two-piece, but you take the bag off, you lift out the liner, flush it. But so far I haven't seen it covered by insurance, and I got tired of paying out of pocket.. has anybody else had experience with ostomy bag liners?

So I either sit when I have to to preserve my back, and then I have to use some sort of container for out and about. A "Ziploc" type bag seems the best alternative. I use quart size. Sandwich size was too small, and gallon size just seems like it's got more space than I'm using.

w30bob
Reply to CrappyColon

Guess you're lucky you were born when you were. I don't think you and Napoleon would have got along... other than the height thing.

;O)

eefyjig

I either kneel in front of the toilet or sit, empty, clean bowl, repeat. My ostomy life is on a continuous loop.

CrappyColon
Reply to jeanneskindle

With the whole standing thing, I found all toilet bowl heights are not the same. It's funny the things you don't notice until there is a reason to notice them. And standing over a toilet bowl reminded me too much of throwing up.

jetthumb

I always sit and aim to the front of the bowl so it doesn't splash. If there's a public toilet with the toilet seat covers, I'll put that in to drain to the front. I always try to cover the automatic flush mechanism so it doesn't flush before I've cleaned my bag and gotten off the toilet.

AlexT
Reply to jetthumb

Those automatic flush toilets can be tricky.

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

Look, I made a mini women's rights activist. This was a few years ago so I won't put a sticker over her face.
You're right, I don't think Napoleon and I would've been besties. If I'd been born back then... either scarlet fever would've taken me out as a child or I would've died in childbirth and I wouldn't have been able to raise my own mini activist who has more attitude than her mother.

eefyjig
Reply to CrappyColon

Love this!!

CrappyColon
Reply to eefyjig

I thought if you happened to see it, you'd appreciate it :)

We went to this exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum back whenever it was because she really wanted to see the box Susan B. Anthony tried to place her vote in. Kids want what they want lol. I think I have a picture of her with it somewhere, I'll post if I find it. Kinda funny that this is a topic about Ileostomy emptying... and someone calling me Napoleon took me this direction. I gotta weigh in on Henry's post today.

Danno

I sit down. For toilets in public places that might not have a strong flush, I put toilet paper in the toilet first to "catch" everything. Then it slides down on its poop toboggan.

IGGIE

I always sit facing the back wall, at home I have installed a shelf right in front of me and have everything I need at hand. I have all the seat lifted so there is lots of open space. I can work standing but I prefer reverse sitting.