Stoma Prolapse and Retraction Issue

Replies
Views
IGGIE

I'm having a very unusual problem at the moment. My stoma for the last 9 months after having an operation for a parastomal hernia has been okay, but as of last Sunday 16th, my stoma started to prolapse from 25mm to 50mm, but then at night and in the morning, it had retracted to almost flat. It has been doing this each day and night since. Has anyone had this problem before? Regards, IGGIE

AlexT

Mine doesn't get bigger around but it does vary greatly on how far it sticks out.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,454 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Iggie, after having resection surgery and a new stoma created that will extend out about 2 inches, but when I clean around it, it retracts to about half an inch in length.

Fidguiman

I've had a temporary ileostomy for 12 months after my resection for a colon tumor. For the last three months, my stoma has protruded about 2-3 inches when standing or upright but always went back in after lying down. My gastric surgeon said not to worry as long as it goes back in, circulation/function is good.

TerryLT

Hi Iggie, I had problems with prolapsing when I had my colostomy. It started out with just a slight prolapse, an inch or so, but then one day it prolapsed several inches and my output stopped completely and the pain started. It required a trip to the ER, and I was told it was likely to happen again. It was shortly after that, that I was given an ileostomy instead. It may not increase with you, and the key is, as long as things are working, your output is not affected, you should be fine.

Terry

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

Thank you, everyone, that answered. I appreciate your input.

Ostomate & woundr

I had one patient who would prolapse 8 or 9 inches (and in case you were wondering, yes, I mean inches and not centimeters) and then retract flesh. It happened on and off throughout the day. Part of it was that commencement's phenomena I described in a previous post, but unfortunately, it is not extremely unusual. It's not even rare.