Managing Wind with an Ileostomy

Replies
Views
Doreen 21

Hi all. My apologies for this question, but does anyone with an ileostomy and next to no large bowel ever feel the urge to break wind in "the old-fashioned way?" Such a weird feeling. Again, apologies for the gross subject matter.

Happytostillbehere

Had a similar operation as you and I questioned my surgeon about that, and he says it's normal not to worry about it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,458 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Doreen, you're talking to roughly 29,000 people that have been cut up, sliced up, pooped themselves and you think farting is gross? You'll have to do better than that to gross us out.

w30bob
Reply to AlexT

Farting? Ewww... Gross!!!!

;o)

Justbreathe

Yep - a real fart happens to me about once every 3 weeks or so and it makes me giggle - get ready, there could be more

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
marshallkerry189

I get lots of wind now out of my bag, but I get the feeling I need to poo like I used to before 6 months since surgery. The surgeon said that was normal. It's a weird feeling when you can't do it. Ha ha, you will get used to the changes soon, hun xx.

Rose Bud 🌹

Most people who have no idea what each of us have been through would think it's gross. But any question you have, feel free to ask because we all know it's just a normal part of life for us. And yeah, the Phantom Butt Syndrome is real. The first time I heard wind from the original wind maker after 2 years, I was like, "What the... did that really happen?" and feeling like you're still connected at times is weird. But don't freak out if you do pass a small amount out once in a blue moon. If it doesn't hurt or smell really bad and isn't bloody, you're okay. However, if it's all the time, get it checked out further.

ron in mich

Hi all, farting is only gross when the dog does it and then smells its butt.

CrappyColon
Reply to ron in mich

Dog farts are the worst and I have 3 dogs

w30bob
Reply to ron in mich

Yeah... like you wouldn't smell your butt if you could...

;o)

ron in mich
Reply to w30bob

Hi Bob, it's bad enough to have a front butt and the stink rising up. No need to put my nose by it, not to mention I might get an eye shot out. LOL

Lins0808

That's hardly gross! ;)
Yes, I've had an ileostomy since I was 11 (I'm 53) and I sometimes get that sensation. I asked years ago, and it's ok.

bballman54

I love the fact that you're being so proper about farting, passing gas or ripping a good one. You'll have that feeling every now and again. The best is when you get that feeling and you tighten your stomach and your stoma sends you a greeting. :)

SharkFan

Doreen,

Yes, it's a very strange feeling. Having the "Ken Butt" and the urge to pass gas is hard to imagine. Kinda wish I had an X-ray to see what's still left down there. It's been going on since the operation. Reminds me to hope the surgeons' stitches were good.

Best of health,

SharkFan

Immarsh

As you may realize... feeling the urge to "fart" or pass gas is not uncommon for those of us who are "sewn up." Every so often, I feel pressure as if I could poop, and on occasions, I have had dreams where I thought I had. Strange dreams... but nothing happens, and it's not unusual to have those sensations because you might still have active nerves in the area. The way I healed (from my ileostomy) is that there must be intestine or a curve along my waist on the right because I can sometimes "feel" the internal poop making its way to the stoma opening. Back in the days when I was able to digest fiber, it happened more often and reminded me of being pregnant and seeing the baby's arm or knee through the skin. But some years ago, too much fiber (like corn on the cob) caused some issues, so I don't eat much of that anymore. I have my ileostomy for nearly 60 years, and for most of that time, I had few complications. But in the last few years, I developed IBS... lots of uncontrollable gas... and that causes some issues with the pouch filling with air and not with output. I'm taking probiotics, but have also had to cut back on some foods, vegetables, and fruits. I may not have the enzymes to digest certain foods... but it's erratic. Gone again are the days of just eating what I liked and wanted. But digestion does change as we get older... and I'm going to be 75. My stoma has been a blessing, as it's allowed me to live the life I always wanted... swimming, traveling, enjoying foods, activities that I never could have done without it. Best of luck to you. Marsha...

IGGIE

Think positive, if you have wind, get a kite. Regards IGGIE

NewlifeVictoria
Reply to Immarsh

Marsha
Had to say hello and happy you're doing good. It makes me feel better to see you've had it for 50 years. That's awesome, and I hope you have many good days!
I haven't been feeling good and it's hard to eat everything. I have 2 hernias and scar tissue very bad. Sometimes, ahhh, like now, I'm in so much pain I could scream some days. I've been trying to figure it out! Maybe you have ideas. I would love to hear. I have dairy issues, fruits, and veggies, and that makes my eating very different. I eat stuff and do too much that puts me in so much pain!

Then I decided to get a puppy in March.

I don't come here too often because people can be so mean! There's still the same person, only thing they have a stoma.

It's hard to meet good people.

Happy you're doing okay.

Victoria