Allergic Reactions to Eakin Seals/Barrier Rings?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi Guys,

Just curious if anyone out there is allergic to Eakin rings?I know lots of folks love them, but I'm curious if anyone has had a problem using them?If you have, let me know what the issue was?

thanks,

bob

YankeeMagnolia68

Hi Bob!

I thought I was the only one with ultra-sensitive skin, even surgical glue is a no-no for me! I have to go through a whole in-depth skin prep process before I put my barrier ring face-plate/appliance on. However, Eakins safe-n-simple I can wear. I can wear Tria's silicone barrier ring too, but its silicone doesn't stick as well for me. The longer the wear time, the better for keeping my skin healthy.

The wonder RX that helped me was Desonate gel. Unfortunately, it's pricey and not covered by my Medicare Advantage insurance. It was covered by the commercial insurance I had with my ex. So you could check if it would be covered with your insurance. If not covered, you could try some generic "nasacort" nasal spray....you spray it on your clean skin and let it dry and then tap on your barrier film (rubbing would remove the spray) and proceed with your regular routine. The nasal spray is not greasy, so it does not interfere with adhesion....as long as you have let it dry first. I've also used a hairdryer on low heat to help speed up the dry time.

I hope that helps you out. If you're interested in the Tria silicone barrier rings, I can send you some to try, just let me know.

Suzanne

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,584 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

eefyjig

Eakin seals were my first (and you never forget your first.) Now I wear Safe N Simple, like Suzanne mentioned. It gets nice and sticky with a hair blower so my bag gets a good seal.

Hisbiscus

Hey Bob, yes I am allergic to them. They make me itch and get a rash around the stoma. I was in pain too. It took quite some time to figure out it was the Eakin rings back then. I had to use Hollister Adapt or Cera rings, both were okay for me.

takeachance

I can only use Coloplast seal as a barrier. I've had my ostomy since 1978. I get 7 to 10 days per change.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Sunshine Girl

I am allergic to Brava Coloplast Elastic Barrier Strips. They go around the outside and apply them on the last step of the process. I get a burning, red rash. It's a bummer because they work so well!

Great question.... I appreciate your thoughtful and knowledgeable responses to all our questions! :)