Seeking Advice: Under Desk Mini Bike Pedal Exerciser for Hernia Concerns

Replies
Views
SallyK

Has anyone used one of these (Under Desk Mini Bike Pedal Exerciser)?

I am so worried about getting a hernia that I have only been walking and I do need something more.

Cplumber

My daughter has one and loves it!
You may want to wear a helmet. I would think riding a bike under a desk could be a little tricky! FYI, my daughter didn't say that last part, that was all me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,629 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

It's low impact, you will be okay....I use a normal exercise bike; it doubles up as an elliptical trainer too....just my view. I recommend doing core exercises; they are the best thing we can do in the fight against developing hernias. If you google "safe core exercises to do with an ostomy" on YouTube, you will see some good videos to help get you started if you want to try them out.

IGGIE

I have a stationary pedal machine and it's not hard on your stomach area. Go for it. Regards, IGGIE

SallyK
Reply to Ben38

Thanks, Ben. I do want to try them but still a bit concerned about doing anything to my core.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to Cplumber

LOL

Does your daughter have an ostomy?

Cplumber
Reply to SallyK

No, but does have gut issues.

eefyjig

So Sally, judging from the angle of this foot pedal exerciser, that your feet are in front of you (like a recumbent bike) rather than under you (like a regular bike), you'd definitely be working your core. You'd be leaning back somewhat which can result in you pushing your abs out. If you get one, make sure that you try to sit up as tall as possible and pull your abs in. That would help prevent a hernia. It sounds like a really good start with exercise.

TerryLT

Go for it, Sally. A good core exercise is planks. Exercising your core will build up strength in that area, which will help prevent hernia. Not doing anything to strengthen your core will put you at more risk.

Terry

Gemini16

If you're looking for a more low-intensity "cardio", I'd look into a fan bike or spin bike.

SallyK
Reply to eefyjig

Good point

SallyK
Reply to TerryLT

Good point as well

AlexT

I know it's hard to believe but I'm gonna be the oddball here. That thing will be worthless. Walk more, add in light calisthenics, and maybe some light resistance band workouts.

Danno

I've been at the gym every day since the doctor gave me the thumbs up. I'm 6 months out and deadlifted like 225lbs last week, and I do sit-ups and other core exercises weekly. I've also done pretty intense cycling. I think it differs from person to person and also consider I was very fit before my surgery, so that likely helps. Early on, it felt weird and definitely took some getting used to and some level of try or die, but I'm still standing and will keep pushing myself. Try a little bit every day and push yourself more and more each time. Your body will know.

IGGIE
Reply to Danno

Hi Danno, just remember a hernia is from overdoing the lifting. I got a parastomal hernia and they are not fun. All I'm saying is don't try to be a world champion lifter.

Danno
Reply to IGGIE

I pay very close attention to my breathing and how my core reacts to specific workouts. I might push myself a little more than someone in our situation should, but the point is that we are more capable than we may think. Sometimes fear can create false obstacles.

IGGIE
Reply to Danno

Well, you're determined to go ahead no matter what people say to you. Remember, your stoma and stomach don't know you're breathing correctly; they just give way when they want to, not up to you. It'll be interesting when you get back on here asking for advice on how to treat a hernia.

ahynes111

I started golfing about 6 months after surgery and I am still at it at least once a week and walking the 4 hours too. I wasn't exercising before my medical dilemma but like Danno, I feel the need to get out there and do it.

zhtfreak

I have one and it's awesome combined with my Apple Watch and their fitness workouts. Works for me since I don't have the bucks nor the space in my apartment for a Peloton lol. I don't use it as much as I should, but I like to just stick it in front of my recliner and pedal while I'm doing something else on my phone. It's awesome seeing all my fitness rings close on my watch.

I haven't had an ileostomy for years, but I wouldn't think one would make that much of a difference. Maybe it would depending on where your stoma is though? I never had any problems riding a bike when I had mine.

Newbie Dana

I had one, gave it away to my son - didn't do anything for me and tended to slide around if you put any effort into it. My son had the same issues and gave it away and got a stationary elliptical bike. A stationary bike, or even a real bicycle, will do more for you cardio-wise and not put any pressure on your stoma. Also, check into a hernia belt to use before you get a hernia, for the support and prevention. (Hard lesson learned through my own stubbornness.)

Doe1mama

My husband uses a NuStep, which is similar to a bike. He does it 3 times a week for 45 minutes.

Rulithia
Reply to Ben38

I started out with a floor cubic jr. Bicycle.

Now I go to the fitness center every day to ride a stationary bike that reclines. My surgeon said to never ride one hunched over. Also, to keep away from hernias, never pick up anything heavier than 10 pounds.

Danno
Reply to IGGIE

Maybe you're right. But I'd rather try and fail than not try at all.