Anyone Recommend a Surgeon in MA?

Replies
Views
th
Aug 02, 2023 3:15 am

Hello, I have reached the point of needing my colon and my rectum out. My rectum is shot. I am a complex case. I lost my spleen due to a colonic manometry (my spleen was ruptured), thus emergency surgery. So here I am, immunocompromised, my rectum is killing me from years of straining to go to the bathroom and now have ulcerative colitis. I live in MA. I am finding it hard to find a surgeon up here because of being immunocompromised. Cleveland Clinic said they could perform the surgery but it would be two surgeries for safety reasons. Moving to Cleveland, alone, would be hard. Does anyone have the names of surgeons they liked in MA? I want to try and stay here rather than move to Cleveland for what could be a year. Thanks in advance for the names of some surgeons you felt were competent and careful.

CrappyColon
Aug 02, 2023 4:02 am

Not MA... but near Cleveland and I would recommend my colorectal surgeon there in a heartbeat. If you do end up going the Cleveland route (totally get why it's not the first choice right now), let me know and we'll see if I could be of any help.

Jodie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Hisbiscus
Aug 03, 2023 8:06 am

If you could come to Cleveland for a year, you would be in the best hands for this type of surgery. The colorectal hospital floor is the best you'll ever find. They are attentive and they actually come to the room or send someone when you hit the call button. Stoma nurses work the floors as well. The nurses and doctors are all amazing! Each doctor has his own team as well, so not only your doctor would be checking in on you, but his team as well. I had my colon and rectum removed and I'm sewn up back there. If you do go to Cleveland Clinic, I can recommend Scott Steele, the best ever and such a nice guy. He's also the head of the department!

eefyjig
Aug 03, 2023 11:44 am

Hi, I see you live in Massachusetts. I don't know if your home is accessible to Mass General in Boston, but they are a pretty major, reputable hospital. I had my four surgeries at Mt. Sinai in NYC. I highly recommend Mt. Sinai and my surgeon who managed to do all of my surgeries laparoscopically. Message me if you would like any info.

Abefroman1969
Aug 03, 2023 12:52 pm

Dr. Joel Goldberg at Brigham and Women's is the best in the area; every time I ask around, his name comes up. I use him and like him.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play