Seeking Recommendations for Hernia Belts After Laparoscopic Loop Ileostomy

Replies
Views
Kayakpixie

Hi there! I had my laparoscopic loop ileostomy surgery on June 23. It was open surgery, so I have a 15-20cm vertical incision.

I'm looking for a hernia belt to help prevent hernias. I've been back to the gym for a few weeks now, lifting light weights with no issues, but the cardio class last weekend with the jumping made my stomach area very uncomfortable to the point I stopped and did step outs.

The belt that the ostomy nurse recommended doesn't have good reviews on Amazon.

Any recommendations??? Thanks!!

Beachboy

I like Nu-Hope belts. They feature a wide variety of belts. Different widths, hole sizes, and features like prolapse straps. Look them up on the internet or on your stoma supplier website.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

I use a 3-inch wide belt. Very comfortable. I have a parastomal hernia and wear the belt from 3:00 am to 5:00 pm. Keeps my hernia from getting worse... (I hope).

7afin

Stealthbelt also has some options. I have a couple that I use for everything. It can be secured pretty well. It's not a hernia belt but it does hold the ostomy bag securely while you are active.

Cplumber

I use the 8" Nu-Hope hernia support belt.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT

I think you are pushing your healing too fast with that type of exercise. Your body told you it wasn't good, listen to it. Don't throw a belt on and think it'll be ok.

Axl

I'm with Alex, too soon for my liking, don't rush it.

Kayakpixie
Reply to AlexT

I was wondering about that. My surgeon, when I left the hospital after surgery, didn't put any weight restrictions on me. He told me not to do anything stupid. At the 6-week post-op, he told me I could resume all my regular activities. I definitely won't be doing the cardio class tomorrow.

Beachboy

Short answer is no, long answer is nooooooooooo. Don't rush things. It takes a long time to fully heal. Resuming your normal activities too soon will put you at increased risk of hernia. Just having the ostomy puts you at increased hernia risk. "Don't do anything stupid" is hard to define. Surgeon should have told you specifically what activities and exercise to avoid. Then re-evaluate your situation at later appointments.

pandj
Reply to Beachboy

Hi Beachboy

You mention that you use a 3" wide belt.

Could you indicate which company provides this and the particular belt you use.

Many thanks

Pete

U.K.

JamesArnod
Reply to Cplumber

You must be a giant! I, however, am only 5'8" and I find a 4" belt to be the max or I can't bend over without the belt cutting into my leg! Humm?

Jim

JamesArnod

Hate to say this but, in fact as far as I can see after investigating for 11 years there is no scientific proof that belts do a thing to prevent a Parastomal Hernia! Having said that, I do own and often use a number of 3" and 4" New Hope belts. Often I wear one after I change my appliance to help it stick to me. Secondly, I wear one just because it feels better, more comfortable I'd say. I have a rather large hernia about the size of a large grapefruit, so sometimes I'm bothered with the of it. Usually I'm not bothered, I just live with it. I was never warned about it arriving unannounced but, as soon as it did I bought a couple of New Hope 3" belts and wore them religiously but, to no avail. It just kept growing and growing! I did tons of research and found no proof that they could stop the hernia from growing, which they did not! I'm a very happy and active 81-year-old who has had a stoma for 12 years. Yesterday I did 7 hours of yard work without a belt.... No problem!

Jim

Beachboy

Thanks for sharing your hernia experience. I'm 7 months post-op and have the hernia. I'm investigating getting it fixed, though I know "fix it" surgery has a low success rate.

But we prevail.

bob85
Reply to Beachboy

I get my Coloplast hernia belts, paid for by my insurance. Before using hernia belts, I always had some leak problems. Since then, with a Coloplast one-piece convex ring and the elastic extender strips, I go four or five days with never a leak out of the middle. The only problem with the hernia belt is that the elastic sometimes causes skin itching. I bought a Stealthbelt hernia belt which I am now trying to see if it does the job and that causes itching.

Newbie Dana

Doctors do not understand patients who work out regularly before getting their ostomy. They assume everyone is a couch potato and just say go back to normal. They don't know what normal is for people who work out! So don't assume anything goes.

1) Get back into your exercise routine slowly.

2) Do wear the belt for support.

3) There are some very good resources online for post-ostomy core exercises to strengthen your abdominal muscles before going on to heavier exercises.

4) Monitor your stomal area for the beginnings of a hernia. It's a lot easier to modify your activities when a newly forming hernia is small than to suddenly realize you've got a hernia the size of a small grapefruit, and then ask your doctor what to do. (Ahem, blush.)

Good luck. I hope you get back to your previous activity levels without any long-term issues.

Kayakpixie
Reply to Newbie Dana

Yes! I'm beginning to see this. I met with my ostomy nurse yesterday to get measured for a Nu-Hope belt. He was surprised at how active I was and commented that obviously the surgeon didn't realize it either.

I will look for the exercises! Thanks!

DexieB
Reply to Beachboy

I'm only 4 months in with colostomy and already have a hernia from the relentless cough I had last month :( Tried so hard not to get one. This hernia makes me afraid to do anything now as far as exercise. Guess I better learn to live with it......(heavy sigh).

Golf&Osto
Reply to Beachboy

i am in need of a belt because i have a hernia also. can you provide a manufacture an/or part number or picture.

VeritasSeeker

I have had my ileostomy for 10 years now. I am quite active. When I am lifting or expecting to do anything that will significantly increase my intra abdominal pressure, I wear my ostomy armor belt. Super happy with it. I also wear a stealth belt when traveling or wearing dress clothing. Knock on wood, no hernias. 

Beachboy
Reply to Golf&Osto

You can order a Nu-Hope belt from your ostomy product supplier.  I use Edgepark for my ostomy supplies.

Nu-Hope belts run small.  I ordered a medium length belt and it was way too small.  I'm a small guy, 31 waist.  So I ordered a large size and it fits OK.  

They have many styles and types of belts.  Very good quality, and comfortable enough to wear all day.  I have a 3 inch wide belt, and a 4 inch wide belt with prolapse strap.  I use the 4 inch belt when I want to diminish my stoma bulge under my shirt with the prolapse strap.  Here is their address:

Nu-Hope Laboratories, Inc.

12640 Branford St

Pacoima, CA 91331

You can also find many ostomy belts on Amazon.

There is a belt for active Ostemates called a Stealth Belt.  Google "Stealth belt" for their website.

Hope this helps