Upcoming Laparoscopic Reversal: A Positive Update

Replies
Views
Mysterious Mose

Yesterday, my surgeon did a sigmoidoscopy to check things out. The result was that I have 15 cm of rectum left and things look good in there. He thinks I am a good candidate for a reversal and has scheduled such for the 10th of October, less than 10 months since my colectomy. And he is confident it can be done laparoscopically. This is all the best news I have heard this year, although I will hold off on saying I am eager. The thought of spending any more time in the hospital is not something I look forward to. But, I am definitely pleased. Very pleased. :-)

Daniel

Bill

I hope it all works out well for you but do keep in touch.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,500 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

Congrats!! I am hoping everything goes well and smoothly for you and you won't have to stay long in the hospital 

CrappyColon

Did your surgeon already make the new connection during the last surgery? I'm assuming since you have rectum left it's more like what I have than a J-pouch? I had to do a conversion to see what 15cm is in inches since I was told what I had left in inches. It's crazy to me how we can go from having 5ft of storage with a colon to inches left of rectum. Did your surgeon mention physical therapy before to start prepping those muscles to get ready to be used? I did PT before and after and I really think that helped me. Even walking at least a mile a day will really help strengthen those muscles. Best wishes to you as you head toward October!

TerryLT

That is excellent news and I hope everything goes well for you!

Terry

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Morning glory

Great news and best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Newhere

Daniel, I had my reversal done 2 weeks ago tomorrow. It was an open surgery, same as the last. I'm still a bit sore but doing pretty good really. I intend to post a monthly update here about my progress, but yesterday had my first decent BM since I got home.

I was in the hospital for 8 nights. I feel better each day, but as we know, it takes a while. All the best, my friend. I am sure it will go well for you. Bill

Mysterious Mose

Thanks, folks! Greatly appreciated! The only real apprehension I have is adapting to "colonless" stools.

Daniel

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CrappyColon

Hi Jodie. Thanks. Nothing was connected to my rectum during my colectomy. And yes, my surgeon has talked to me about prepping my muscles. He feels that I am in pretty good shape at this time, muscle-wise. I am already doing floor exercises and I walk 3-5 miles every day. We also calculated the rectal capacity, which comes out near the same as my ileostomy bag. I tend to empty my bag every time I have to pee, at least at home. I am also always up at least a couple of times in the night. I usually empty my bag during the second of those awakenings. I assume that will eventually work in my favor.

I know I am going to have a hill to climb when this is done. I am not expecting this to be a piece of cake. One of my biggest questions is how do people handle the urge to pass gas. And gas is my main culprit during the night. That concerns me more than a bit, to be honest.

Daniel

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Newhere

Thanks, Bill. I look forward to your updates.

Daniel

ColinSansColon

Hi Daniel. Sounds like I am in a similar boat. I will be having an ileo-rectal anastomosis performed in the next month or two. I'll be following your thread, as I'm curious about the gas aspect as well!

Best,
Colin

CrappyColon

Is the question, will you have gas? Or what will happen when you do pass gas? Like, will more come out than air? You won't be allowed to leave the hospital until you do pass gas 😁

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CrappyColon

The question isn't, "Will I?" I've plenty of experience with the "You ain't goin' nowhere 'til you pass gas" stuff. I am curious as to how that goes down in a person's daily life. I know what it is like to have to pass gas when you have diarrhea or when your colitis is acting up. It can be messy. What about with "ileostomy"? I would like to think there is hope for at least some diaperless time in my future. 😎

CrappyColon
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Train those muscles 😁

I have had no issues with it, and my surgeon is thrilled. But I hear especially from other women, their experience has been different than mine, especially in the first year. I will say, sometimes especially in the first few months, it's difficult to differentiate between the feeling of passing gas and needing to have a BM. I remember when I was unsure, hoping for the best 😂. After a while, you can tell which it's going to be.  

My new internal connection had months to heal before it was put into use. I really think how well my body has done with it is the skill of my surgeon, pelvic floor therapy before the reversal and after, being active. And I've been very open with people about my surgeries, needs of my new anatomy/physiology… not feeling like I need to hide any of it has really helped with the psychosocial factors. 

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CrappyColon

Fingers crossed. But, I am committed to making this work. I may be a cynic, but I am an optimistic one!

Daniel

CrappyColon
Reply to Mysterious Mose

An optimistic cynic isn't just a realist? 😀

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CrappyColon

That's what I keep telling my wife. She doesn't buy any of it. 😤

CrappyColon
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Daniel, you might have mentioned in another post but what type of ileostomy do you have?

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CrappyColon

Hi Jodie,

I have a standard ileostomy. No pouches. My colon was completely removed, as it was falling apart, and a stoma placed on my right side and the rectum sealed.

Daniel