Gentle High-Protein Drink Recommendations

Replies
Views
Lorr

I'm scheduled for a reversal in a couple of weeks, but the doctor wants me to have a higher albumin level - eating higher protein food and drinking a high-protein drink. I've been drinking Boost but find it bothers my stomach and causes loose output. Any suggestions for a high-protein drink that doesn't do that? Thanks.

Beth22

Hi there,

There is a nutrition drink called Instant Breakfast. You can get it with extra protein if you want or need to. You can buy them in packets and mix it with milk (I always drink skim, way easy on the tummy) or you can get them the way Ensure or Boost comes. That's what I drink twice a day. It actually has more nutrition in it than Ensure and Boost. I used to drink Ensure but it upset my stomach way too much.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lorr
Reply to Beth22

Thank you so much. This is just the kind of information I was looking for. I just searched for it and came up with "Instant Carnation Breakfast Powder". Is that it?

Now I'm reading that it can cause diarrhea. Scares me,

DexieB

They had me on Ensure Max Protein when I was in the hospital - I did okay on those although they didn't taste the greatest. The hospital would mix them with a little chocolate ice cream so that made them go down easier. At home, I moved to the Premier Protein chocolate drinks (30 g protein), they are my favorite and never upset my stomach. Hoping your reversal goes well - please let us know, as I will have one in the future and am anxious about it!

Bryce

Hi Lorr - You might want to try mixing the Carnation Instant Breakfast (Chocolate Flavor) with a banana in the blender because: From WebMD "This improves your bowel irregularity, making bananas the best aid during loose motions. What's more, bananas have a high pectin content which helps absorb the excess liquid in your intestines. This can result in your stool becoming firm, reducing the duration of diarrhea." Works for me and tastes great. Best, Bryce

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Beth22
Reply to Lorr

Hi there,

Yes, it comes in either powder or you can get them premixed. With the powder, you can use whatever milk you like or want.. skim, low fat, fat-free. When I have just the powder mix and skim or low-fat milk, I don't get diarrhea, but I don't want you to be scared of what you read. Remember everybody's body is different with what they eat and drink. The only way to find out is to try whichever you like and see what happens. I too have a very sensitive stomach. This doesn't hurt or irritate it, but Boost and Ensure do really badly, whereas for others, Ensure or Boost doesn't upset their stomach.

Lorr

Thank you all for your replies. They are very helpful and I may try them. Yesterday, I went to the local health food store and got plant-based protein powder that has 20g protein and is supposed to be for sensitive stomachs. I did order Banana Flakes to control the looseness.

AlexT

If you go from a regular diet to one high in protein all of a sudden, your output will change. They want anyone going into surgery or just after surgery to consume as much protein as possible as it aids the body/cells to heal. Since everyone is different, which one will work best for you may be different than the best one for someone else. Obviously pre-made ones are easier, but cost more. Powder is my less expensive per serving but usually it means bigger quantities and if it doesn't work for you, then you either finish it and deal with the side effects or toss it out. Good luck on finding the one that is best for you, the options are endless when it comes to protein supplements. 

Lorr
Reply to AlexT

It makes sense that my body has to adjust to increased protein. It just puts me in a dilemma because when I do that with powders or liquid boosts besides my regular food it messes with my digestion and flow increases and I'm afraid the protein isn't even being absorbed.

I guess I have to just keep on trying - the plant-based protein powder gave me the same problem. I will try others from this thread, but my pre-op testing is next week!

Gemini16

Honestly, ensure, carnation, etc. they have a high amount of sugar, in many different forms - and other ingredients. Maybe look into a good whey protein powder that you mix yourself?

Lorr
Reply to Gemini16

Will do. Thank you.

Redondo

I regularly drink a protein drink - Premier Protein 30g protein, 1g sugar + 25 vitamins and only 160 cal. I typically have this in the evening if I'm hungry before going to bed. However, I find there is an odor if I drink it too often. I always drink the cafe latte flavor. Wondering if I wouldn't have the odor if I drink another flavor like vanilla or chocolate. But, to your question, I don't have any problem or issue with my ostomy other than the odor sometimes.

giantbadger74

I just use whey protein powders.

SusieLou3

I have never liked the flavor or the texture of any of the protein shakes that I have tried. I now drink a clear protein drink and I love them. There is one called Clear and the other one is Protein2O. They have 15 to 20 g of protein in a bottle and are various fruit flavored and clear in color.

There are also high-protein yogurts that you can buy. Some of them have up to 25 g of protein in them.

AlexT
Reply to SusieLou3

Yep, Ratio yogurt if you can find it is high protein and tastes great.

Lorr
Reply to SusieLou3

Will check them out. Thanks. I just had my pre-op testing and my protein is good now. Must be because I'm eating more meat. The doctor said I could do a couple of things to improve protein if the shakes bothered my digestion - simple protein bars and eggs help.

Lorr
Reply to Bryce

Thanks. I bought banana powder and am eating half a banana a day.

Gemini16
Reply to SusieLou3

Yogurt is a good protein source but, if you want to try other options, so is cottage cheese. Non-fruit flavored/low-fat percentage variety. I love using it in pastas or lasagna like ricotta - puréed until creamy.

NOLA Lady

Boost is full of sugar that causes overactive bowels. Boost's protein source is soy, not the best choice. Organic eggs are the best source. If you want a powder, I suggest NOW brand protein isolate. I use the unflavored and make a smoothie with frozen fruit. You can use unsweetened almond milk or regular milk if you tolerate it.