Participating in Martial Arts with an Ostomy: Safety Tips?

Replies
Views
Past Member

Hello good people,

Before I start, I know we ostomates can do pretty much anything we want to, if we put our minds to it. But….can we safely take a karate, taekwondo, judo, etc. class? I would like to know how to protect myself, in case a fight broke out at the supermarket, church or Walmart and/or there are no weapons available at the time to use. But, I also realize one kick to our stomachs and they'll be scraping us off the floor, bags and all. Boxing is an option, correct?

Beachboy

There are stoma guards available. But taking a kick or punch to the stoma or near it could still cause damage. I studied Karate for many years. Would be tough to do with a stoma. Good luck

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,628 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

Yes, and I did martial arts for many years. Just wear a stoma guard, and your stoma will be protected. Kicks/punches to your stomach will only do the same as they would have before you had a stoma.

Past Member
Reply to Beachboy

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Past Member
Reply to Ben38

Thanks, I might give it a try.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob

Oh, I just couldn't wait to read the replies to this one! Kung-Fu for bagsters............love it.

Disciple Caine asked Master Tae "What is the best way to deal with force?".....and Master Tae replied "As we prize peace and quiet above victory, there is a simple and preferred method….run away."

True words to live by.........even if it was just a TV show!! Go kick some ass, Grasshopper......just make sure your stoma guard also protects your bag........"or you have big mess on hands.....and legs.......and floor"

;o)

;o)

Past Member
Reply to w30bob

Ha! 😁 You speak truth, wise one!

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

I was really hoping you'd quote Kung Fu Panda - my kids can educate on that series if needed.

veejay

In case a fight broke out at.....church???

Wow....things have certainly changed since I was an "altar boy".

No wonder I'm a retired Catholic!

V.J.

CrappyColon

I found it interesting that churches and Walmart made it into the specifics. 😉 Does your state have conceal/carry laws? The church I attend has intruder practice drills and a security team mostly comprised of former/current law enforcement/military. It sucks that we need to actually think through scenarios in places that should be ‘safe'. What they've told non-trained people, which is most people there on Sundays, is to create a distraction so that someone who is trained can then detain the alleged attacker. I had a guy I kind of know go to give me a sideways hug a few Sundays ago and I saw 3 security guys moving closer to me (everybody and their mom from a church find out you've lost your colon it seems - we're just not that plentiful in the average world, but I did meet a colonless friend at a wedding last month). I digress, I tell my daughter she is still kidnap size (she's almost as big as me) and they would probably return if she kept running her mouth, but what I want her to do first is run and scream. If hands get on her, scream, kick, bite, claw - things she can do that don't require a height advantage. One of the primary reasons we didn't go through with an adoption last year was a sneaky file said the child required restraint holds in some situations and as the primary caregiver going into 2 major abdominal surgeries and an ileostomy, it was a deal breaker. They wouldn't even let me do regular class yoga/Pilates for 6+ months after the second surgery. In a Walmart scenario though, I think grabbing some water and a snack and hunkering under/behind packages of tp/paper towels is the way to go. Or if you're by an exit and can go, by all means. 😁

Beth22

This is so beyond horrible that we even have to think and be at these lengths... too much division and hate and horrible things going on today. It's just sad that it has gotten so bad.

w30bob
Reply to CrappyColon

That's a clever disguise you got there, Crapster... I like it... Tonto!

;o)

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

I have ordered the ADHD response/thoughts for you:

1. I don't know what you're referring to 😁
  2. Do you think you're Tonto? Who's Tonto?
  3. Looked up quotes by Tonto… not many
  4. Listened to Bob Dylan kind of singing about the Lone Ranger and Tonto 
  5. Back to Tonto only speaking pidgin and some Native Americans not being happy about it. Which got me wondering if my Lenape grandmother would have thoughts about it… then trying to remember how many greats she is to me because I always get that mixed up
w30bob
Reply to CrappyColon

Oh Crapster, thanks for ordering your thoughts... you know how hard it is for me to follow the bouncing ball at times. And WOW... I totally forgot about the ADHD thing going on in your head... my bad. You know exactly what I'm referring to, so playing coy won't work. You're Tonto silly. Cuz I'm the Lone Ranger. You probably never saw black and white TV... you don't know what you missed. You're right, Tonto didn't have many quotes... he was the Lone Ranger's silent partner. Which is the exact opposite of you... hmmmm... now why didn't I see that coming???

You have a Lenape grandmother? How interesting. I can see it in you now, don't know why I didn't see it earlier... maybe the multi-color hair threw me off. The Lenni Lenape, also known as the Delaware Indians, were the original inhabitants of Passaic, NJ, where I was born. We learned all about the Lenape in elementary school... so funny you should mention them. What a small world.

Back to Tonto... Tonto was Potawatomi, not Lenape... but I guess that's close enough! Tonto means "Crazy One" in Spanish. Need I say more??

;O)

Axl

Hi C

I have been involved in karate for many years until recently. Before training, I did not eat, so there is no output during training, and wore Lycra bike shorts to keep the bag flat under my gi. I had no issues.

AlexT

Look into Hapkido.

Oscar23

I've practiced both Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do - so yes, you can with a caveat. I haven't competed with ostomies in sparring competitions, which I personally would not do as a double ostomate in Tae Kwon Do. TKD sparring uses a lot of kicks and kicks to the mid-region and head. I actually stopped competitive training because of multiple kicks to the head, including a broken nose. With that said, the only training this would practically do for me on the street (as a black belt) is to know how to avoid violence. Basically, avoid violence when I can. Personally, I don't think TKD is practical for street fighting or defense in life-threatening situations except for teaching confidence, judgment, and basically knowing how to best avoid violence. All the best in your practice! 

CrappyColon
Reply to w30bob

I have more to say, but won't hijack this thread any further with thoughts unrelated to the original topic (someone took their ADHD med today 😜)

Beachboy

Oscar23,

Sometimes after my Shito-Ryu class at the Dojo, many of us stopped at Roundtable for a pizza. One day our Sensei joined us. Normally we didn't talk much to him, so we were somewhat shy seeing him outside the Dojo. After a bit of silence, one of my friends asked him "Why do we practice so much kicking and maintaining correct stance?" (During class we would get into a defensive stance, then march back and forth, while Sensei would watch for any heads bobbing up and down. After 30 minutes of this, our legs were jello. Then we did front snap kicks for another 30 minutes, then side thrust kicks). Sensei replied: "So you can run away faster."

Every first move in Shito-Ryu is a defensive one. Our Sensei told us never fight unless there is no other way to escape.

I refused to spar in tournaments, only did Kata. Over the years I witnessed many errant kicks and punches that caused significant physical damage. I would only spar in the Dojo with the Kohai or Sensei who were masters of control.

Once at a tournament, a guy took a half-speed kick to the head, knocked him out. Paramedics took him away. Real life ain't like the movies.

Past Member
Reply to Beachboy

“So you can run away faster.” That's funny, will definitely keep that move in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Past Member

I liked your story Vilking1.  Very funny.  If I’m ever in a fight or flight situation I don’t think I’m going to show them “Clementine” (name of my ostomy)😁.  I would rather throw something or preferably kick them in the face.  But I will keep that I’m mind, lol!

Past Member

Why show your bag and run . Stand and fight ,that's what men do.

Past Member

Never run. Sounds like we need some traing vilking.