Cautionary Tale: Mashed Cauliflower Mishap

Replies
Views
Mysterious Mose

Well, front actually. But then, the pun is lost. :-)

The other day, I was in the supermarket and noticed this Bob Evans mashed cauliflower. I never really thought about mashing it, but I do like cauliflower. So, I bought one and ate half of it that day. Hoo boy! I was not quite prepared for the consequences. I eat a lot of potatoes, but the thickness from those is nothing like what I experienced with the cauliflower. I spent the evening constantly pushing stool from my stoma down into my bag. It just would not drop by itself. I think I will wait until after my reversal before I try that again! :-)

Daniel

CrappyColon

Cauliflower is still one thing I haven't eaten after any of my surgeries… That's right, I'm afraid of cauliflower 😂. I just haven't heard many good stories about it 😬

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,637 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CrappyColon

There are many ways to cook cauliflower. Roasted, with garlic and paprika, is my favorite. Sometimes with some Parmesan. Great stuff!

Daniel

Beachboy

Sometimes after enjoying "forbidden fruit"... I say screw it... Don't even bother with trying to shepherd sticky poop (AKA sticky shit) around and down the bag... Just snap on a new bag... ready to roll.

Baleful muse of the day:

What's worse.. Sticky fingers or sticky shit.  My mind wobbles

Axl

I eat cauliflower with cheese sauce often, no issues.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy

Me thinks a few boxers got the ear... but not the rear. In both cases a mirror is required for viewing.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Beachboy

Changing the bag is what I had to do, but first the sticky stuff had to pass. :-/

Bill

I allow myself one cauliflower per week, spread over the 7days. Mostly cooked, but I  also like a little raw. It hasn't caused me problems so far,
Best wishes

Bill

AlexT

Me no like cauliflower unless it's covered in something to give it flavor. Eating it raw…..🤮

Mysterious Mose
Reply to AlexT

I'm with you on the raw part. 😝

TerryLT

I eat cauliflower all the time, cooked in a variety of ways, or raw. Never had an issue.

Terry

CrappyColon
Reply to TerryLT

Idk why I have this fear of cauliflower. I think in the beginning it was one of the very specific no veggies, and that really imprinted in my brain. There's an Indian dish I used to really like - haven't tried it since no colon because they use cauliflower in a lot. Maybe I'll get my brave on to try it if I get a bad enough craving.

Mysterious Mose

Well, I've been eating cauliflower all along. Just not in the quantity you get when you mash the stuff. :-)

Daniel

infinitycastle52777

I recently tried cauliflower rice and had the same results. I didn't eat a big serving of it, but there was pancaking after. I had to push the poo off my stoma and down in the bag. I think it's because cauliflower is very fibrous. One way to thicken things up on a really liquid day. I put that in my tool box along with pumpkin which slows down my output a lot.

Lee

Doe1mama

My husband tried the mashed cauliflower. He did okay with it. A little thicker output but it wasn't terrible.

Indiathecat

I have always loved cauliflower but have now stopped eating it. It causes me horrendous wind. An hour or so after eating it, I end up with the Hindenburg attached to me. I let the wind out and it fills up again. No more cauliflower cheese for me 😢.

Beachboy

The "wind" sometimes sneaks up on me. I look down and there's a balloon under my shirt. Yikes!

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Beachboy

Really, officer! I am not packing what you think I am!

Mysterious Mose
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Yes. It is something I have added to my list of things to eat post-reversal. :-)

Daniel

gary S.
Reply to CrappyColon

Maybe I'm just fortunate but I have no problem digesting the steam fresh type frozen cauliflower. Just microwave it and enjoy.

drums_weights_ileostomy
Reply to CrappyColon

I have issues with broccoli, but have never had an issue with cauliflower, cooked, mashed or raw. And, I've had my ileostomy for about 50 years.

TerryLT
Reply to CrappyColon

I know the dish you mean and I make it myself often with no problem. The cauliflower is cooked quite well, and I find it breaks down really easily, i.e., don't have to chew nearly as much as with some veggies. You really should give it a try! Good luck.

Terry

Beachboy

M. Mose, Re: Packing.

I kinda worry about that sometimes because my stoma bulges out quite a bit. I'm sure eventually TSA at an airport or security somewhere will wanna "take a peek at stoma Herb."

Redondo

You were lucky it was coming out. I tried it since I went on this lean and green diet and had a cup of it. The next day I ended up in the hospital with a partial blockage. I was lucky my system cleared it up on its own and I didn't need surgery. I have learned that those of us with stomas should be on a low fiber diet.

jetro98
Reply to Beachboy

Is that a balloon under your shirt or are you just happy to see me?!

Beachboy

Jetro98,

I think Mae West just laughed somewhere up there in heaven.

"When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better." ~ Mae West

vollovr

I've had an ileostomy for 39 years and one time after eating a small amount of raw cauliflower dipped in ranch dressing, I had the worst obstruction I've ever had. I can eat steamed broccoli fine as long as it is very soft. Proceed with caution on the cauliflower.

Mysterious Mose

Good advice. At 8+ months as a rookie ileostomate, I stay away from all raw vegetables. I will have to say, I really miss salads. Especially those that come from my wife's garden.

Daniel

TerryLT
Reply to Redondo

There are lots of us with stomas who eat high-fiber diets, including me, without any problems at all. A lot depends on whether you have a colostomy or an ileostomy. People with colostomies are more likely to not have problems with high fiber, but there are lots of us with ileostomies who are fine with high fiber too. Everyone is different, and figuring out what works for you is all you can do. It's good that you know what you can and can't eat. My diet is extremely high in fiber, the way I like it.

Terry

eefyjig

Haha! I can relate - I ate spanakopita twice this weekend and was constantly pushing the firm output down my bag. It was so worth it. 😋