B12 Supplement After Intestinal Surgery

Replies
Views
IGGIE

I have been meaning to mention this for some time, but my surgeon told me after my operation that when you lose the last section of your ileus or small intestine, you have to take supplement B12 because it's the last part of the small intestine that absorbs B12 and you need it. Regards, IGGIE

patrickrichardson1946

I've been taking B12 for years, long before I got my colostomy... Can't even remember why I was given it?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38

I've had an ileostomy for over 30 years. I have annual blood tests to check for B12 deficiency, but so far it has never been a problem. But yes, your surgeon is right; we should be checked annually for B12 deficiency as it can be a problem for some.

xnine

My wife goes to the pharmacy every couple of months to get a shot.

AlexT

A monster a day will give you all the B stuff you need.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
infinitycastle52777

I used to take B12 specifically, but my folic acid was low, so I had to start taking a multivitamin, and it has B12 in it, so I don't take it on its own anymore. It is a mystery to me what all goes on in the body. I have to balance drinking and staying hydrated for both my ostomy and my kidneys (stage 2 kidney disease) with the fact that I have hyponatremia (low salt). That is sure frustrating. But I also have to take vitamin D and magnesium.

Lee

IGGIE
Reply to Ben38

So, are you taking B12 or just relying on a yearly test? You should be taking it.

IGGIE
Reply to AlexT

Wow?

elwick

Hi, I have an ileostomy and have been taking B12 in the form of 50 microgram tablets (cyanocobalamin) 3 times daily as prescribed by the medical professionals shortly after the operation and follow-up blood tests. It seems from the replies that a lot of us need it. Elwick

Newbie Dana

Be careful and make sure your levels are monitored. I was told to take B-6 and B-12 at OTC levels. Shortly thereafter, I had troubles with dry eyes, light sensitivity, and vision problems. Went to 3 different doctors trying to track down the problem. Finally, 1 tested my B-12 and B-6 levels - they were over twice the maximum high range for normal levels! Stopped taking the supplements and everything resolved within 2 months, and my levels were back down to normal. If you take ANY supplement and start having medical issues - even ones that you don't think connect - have your levels tested for that supplement.

Excess B vitamins are supposed to be relatively harmless because they are supposed to be peed out of your system. Mine just grabbed them and wouldn't let go. I am now not allowed to take any kind of supplement containing B vitamins, not even a multi-vitamin. I just have to get what I need from my diet. Brown rice, barley, eggs, chicken, fish, avocados, and beans are biggies.

Ranger

B-12 is stored in the liver in a normal body. In us ileostomates it eventually, or periodically, is depleted. As I understand it, oral B-12 does not supply the body's need in the same way. Thus, for me, a monthly shot. For some reason, perhaps dietary (beef is one source), the last blood test showed I now have excess B-12, and the shots have been suspended. B-12 is used by the body for various vital tasks. When I got my first shot, the nurse said, "Oh, you're here for your mood shot!" Who knew? Here are a couple of good articles from the NIH:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK441923/ 

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-Consumer/

Yancey

Yes, that's true. After my colorectal cancer surgery, the radiation and chemotherapy destroyed that part of my small intestine. I have to give myself monthly injections with yearly checks. Ain't it fun!!!