Why Do I Get Gassy When I Skip a Meal?

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777
Oct 31, 2023 5:06 pm

So, it has come to my attention lately that if I skip a meal, "Marvin" gets very gassy. Is there some reason for this?

Lee

Bob 48
Nov 01, 2023 2:07 am

Not sure of the exact reason, but maybe it's because when your bowels are empty, it can cause a buildup of acid, but don't quote me on that. It is common, though, for ileostomates. I'd say it's common for most people, but a colon can collect a lot of gas before it gets passed. Hunger pains, empty stomachs growling, and stuff like that are all possible signs of gas building up. I had my colon removed 20 years ago and miss the ability to hold gas in until I can go somewhere safe to let it out, lol.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gentlejohn
Nov 01, 2023 7:10 pm

The output of gas is either from air that you swallow or food that you eat.

infinitycastle52777
Nov 01, 2023 11:14 pm
Reply to gentlejohn

So am I swallowing air just because I am breathing? Because there was no food in my stomach, so it couldn't be food.

vegan2share
Nov 03, 2023 12:43 am

Hi Lee, I saw your question and I saw different responses, to some degree they are correct. I did not read an obvious answer—although your stomach was empty, you still have fermenting bacteria working in your gut. Things our stomach can't digest sometimes enter the intestine and are broken down by bacteria. Artificial sugars, and some natural ones like prunes, are fermented. Fibers such as cabbage and broccoli also ferment and produce gas. Here is a fun thought—eat some carbs and add some yeast like in beer!!! You can fill balloons!!

Anyone try Gas-X?

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
infinitycastle52777
Nov 03, 2023 1:13 am
Reply to vegan2share

I need a beer, or maybe vodka would be better. But nope, I don't have any. I know carbonated beverages cause gas. I try to avoid them. It was just curious to me that Marvin could be so gassy with nothing in my stomach yet.

Lee