Cera rings

Replies
Views
Ostoberry

After the surgeon lifted all restrictions, I went back to my exercise routine. I always use a Hollister two piece changing every five days. Eventually with increased activity I had a few minor leaks and I could smell them. There would be poo around the stoma when I changed wafers. So I tried rings and then paste with my changes and also extenders. Paste didn't work so well but the rings kept the skin very clean so only one wet wipe to clean. I will always use rings now. I'm not buying extenders as medical tape works well for me with no skin problems. By the way I have an outie stoma which suits using rings. I might try to stretch changes to a week.

DexieB

Hello!  I also use the Hollister two piece and change it once or twice a week.  I use the Cera rings - they work great for me too!  Never tried the paste.  The extenders gave me a red itchy rash, so I use plain old medical tape as added protection around the edge - no more skin problems.  I think you could get away with a week in between changes!  I used to put the cera ring around the wafer first and then put it all on....but now that I have a hernia, I've found it works best to put the ring directly around my stoma first, then put the wafer on.  Thanks for sharing what works for you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,504 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostoberry
Reply to DexieB

I first put the ring on the wafer too. I found it's better to put it around the stoma first so you can still mold it without sticking to the wafer. Anyway, there is no more stress on change day. 

AlexT
Reply to Ostoberry

I was taught to put the barrier ring around my stoma first, then attach the wafer/bag. I hated that since I use a 1 piece and it was hard to see around my stoma. So, I switched to putting it on my wafer first and then apply both at once to my skin. Way better for me personally. The game changer for me was warming it all up with a hair dryer on low for maybe 20 seconds and then applying it. Press around my stoma and then hold my hand over the whole thing for 3-5 minutes to give it time to basically weld itself to my skin. Hardly ever an issue now and I’m very hard on my equipment. 

hlittle999
Reply to Ostoberry

I use rings as well and like them. For a bit I'd cut them in half and roll them out to go around my stoma.(my medical plan is minimal so I was trying to stretch out products)  I had a leak twice so I am back to a whole ring. I out around my stoma. I find it difficult to put it on the wafer. I now only change my appliance once a week. No issues. No more stress.   I could go longer but it's not recommended as your skin can get irritated. I've only been at this for a few months but every 7 days works for me.  

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
hlittle999
Reply to Ostoberry

I use rings as well and like them. For a bit I'd cut them in half and roll them out to go around my stoma.(my medical plan is minimal so I was trying to stretch out products)  I had a leak twice so I am back to a whole ring. I out around my stoma. I find it difficult to put it on the wafer. I now only change my appliance once a week. No issues. No more stress.   I could go longer but it's not recommended as your skin can get irritated. I've only been at this for a few months but every 7 days works for me.  

Daisy2023

The difference is amazing. I didn’t want to use rings at first because I thought it would cause a leak? After much skin irritation I decided to try them again and now I have barely any skin irritation at all and the bag seems to stay on longer. Now I’m just deciding if coloplast or Hollister are better than the other. Any opinions on that? 

AlexT
Reply to Daisy2023

I’ve tried 3 brands, Coloplast, Hollister, and Eakin. IMO Eakin are the best and I prefer the stoma wrap ones over a regular ring. I use Hollister cause I think they are a close 2nd to Eakin as far as durability but they come off when you’re changing way easier and I like how they kinda melt into my skin a little better. The Coloplast did fine, nothing really impressed me with it though. 

Daisy2023
Reply to AlexT

I’ve never heard of Eakin. What do you mean they wrap around? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol I wonder if these are available in Canada would love to try them all til I decide on what kind I would like. They are so expensive barrier rings. Not that that has anything to do with it, but costs are shameful. 

AlexT
Reply to Daisy2023

The Eakin Stomawraps are bigger and not a complete circle, it is cut. So you can wrap it around your stoma way easier than a regular barrier ring. Plus, since it’s bigger, you don’t stretch it out nearly as much to get it around your stoma. 

Ostoberry

Just looked up Eakin wrap stoma rings, too expensive. I first used the Hollister samples they sent me but I purchased 10 2mm thick, hydrocolloid from Amazon. Heagimend was the brand and cost was #15.99. just changed this morning after a week, no leakage. I just put it under my arm for a couple minutes to soften them up and then I can stretch and mold them without tearing. My first supply order I only got wafers and pouches but now that I researched, Medicare will pay for most accessories as well. I have no idea about Canada but there's a lot to choose from on Amazon.

AlexT
Reply to Ostoberry

I don’t know what’s expensive or not since my insurance pays for everything. 🤷‍♂️ 

Ostoberry

As long as insurance pays, good for you. On Amazon 10 eakins are over &50.

Daisy2023
Reply to AlexT

K thanks for the information 😊

mcaouette0912
Reply to AlexT

Hi Alex,

I put the barrier ring on my wafer too. If I’m reading right you warm up the ring and wafer with a blow dryer before putting on the wafer?

mcaouette0912
Reply to AlexT

Hi Alex,

I put the barrier ring on my wafer too. If I’m reading right you warm up the ring and wafer with a blow dryer before putting on the wafer?

AlexT
Reply to mcaouette0912

I put the barrier ring on, then warm it all up with a hairdryer on low for maybe 15-30 seconds continually moving the hairdryer around all the sticky parts, then stick it all at once on my stomach. I put direct pressure with my fingers around the barrier ring, then I put my hand over the whole thing for maybe 5 minutes while laying down. 

NatureLover
Reply to Ostoberry

I hear ya on this issue too. I often have to wait for the place where I get my supplies from (Edgepark) to “process” my order. Which typically means at least 5 phones to them and 3 different reasons for the delay. I have used EBay to get some products to have on backup that I cannot be without. Pretty good prices too. It’s insane what the companies charge us or even our insurance for these items!