Baby Oil Mishap: Velcro Tab Disaster

Replies
Views
kittybou
Nov 22, 2023 3:57 pm

No baby oil in the pouch for me, ever again. It somehow took off one of the Velcro closure tabs.Good thing there were no storms while we were out and about. Lucky me!!!!

14jax71
Nov 22, 2023 5:01 pm

Hi Kittybou, 

I'm glad you were lucky, and no storms came out. I do hope you find another solution to your problem. I hope your luck never runs out.

Jax

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mysterious Mose
Nov 22, 2023 6:41 pm

Yup. That is exactly why I quit experimenting with baby oil. Although I do use a lubricating deodorant, I also use water when emptying my bag. 150 ml to start and another 150 ml, if needed, to rinse. Baby oil is just too pernicious for me. :=)

Daniel

Beachboy
Nov 22, 2023 7:54 pm

Consider using an IGGIE clip. It's a deluxe type paper clip that has fold-down handles. I fold the seal area of my bag once, put on the clip, then fold the handles down. Works well.

kittybou
Nov 22, 2023 7:59 pm
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
kittybou
Nov 22, 2023 8:00 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you

kittybou
Nov 22, 2023 8:03 pm
Reply to 14jax71

I found a solution. Don't use baby oil, and pay attention. Don't let supplies run out. Lesson learned.

Nini4
Nov 22, 2023 10:02 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hello Daniel,

What kind of lubricating drops do you use? And what do they do? New to all of this and still learning some of the tricks.

Thanks!

kittybou
Nov 22, 2023 10:42 pm
Reply to Nini4

I will let you know when they come in the mail.

kittybou
Nov 22, 2023 10:44 pm

Oops! Didn't see the message was directed to Daniel. Jeff had his head in the way. Sorry.

Justbreathe
Nov 23, 2023 12:51 pm

Sorry this did not work for you. I use baby oil every day and especially at bedtime. I am guessing success is dependent on the procedures and products we use - my closure is a clamp, not Velcro. My bag is airtight - in other words, once placed over my stoma, there are no vents for any air to escape. This requires a good fit around the stoma - stoma powder, barrier wipe, barrier ring, and bag. My bag allows a clear view of the stoma and interior 🤮 for monitoring. This, along with a bag change and totally naked shower every other day and a bag-on shower in between. jb

kittybou
Nov 23, 2023 1:21 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Thank you

IGGIE
Nov 23, 2023 1:43 pm

G'day Kittybou, I am just showing you the IGGIE clip that Beachboy

Login to see image
was talking about. I also glue a very strong magnet to the clip so it stays closed. See image. I will be looking for royalties. Regards, IGGIE
Login to see image

Beachboy
Nov 23, 2023 2:09 pm

Thanks for posting the picture, IGGIE. Shows exactly what it is and how it works.

I found out they are called "Binder clips." Available from Amazon. For colored clips, type: Mr. Pen into the Amazon search window. Then type in: Binder clips on the Mr. Pen search window.

About $7.00 US for 25 colored clips.

Also available from Staples, Walmart, Target.

I use this clip every day. Gives me "peace of mind" that the Velcro closure won't suddenly fail. And slightly decreases bag length... so at home my bag doesn't poke out under my shirt. My wife used to always notice the bag tip, point, and start saying "hey...hey...hey."

Thanks, IGGIE

kittybou
Nov 23, 2023 3:26 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Thank you! 😸🦃

Mysterious Mose
Nov 24, 2023 5:38 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Here's some royalties for you, Iggie! 😂😂

Login to see image

Doe1mama
Nov 26, 2023 1:56 pm

We tried baby oil for my husband too, and it seemed to wreak havoc on the bag. However, after consulting with this group, I did determine that we were using way too much.

Past Member
Nov 26, 2023 2:42 pm

Hi all. Early Christmas greetings. I have been warned by my ostomy clinic against using water or to be very careful about the ratio of baby oil to water as the seals break down faster with water. Guess it depends on how often folks are changing pouches. I have a newish colostomy, BM tends to be more formed, hoping for more of a schedule (ha ha). Anyway, I have been using the Adapt lubricating deodorant, a Hollister product & covered by my insurance, fortunately. I put some in the pouch just before applying, careful not to get it on the seal or the Velcro parts. Seems to be working well for me. Comes in a larger bottle I use to fill mini bottles on the toilets to use in between emptyings. Also comes in travel size. Hope this helps someone out there. OOXX

IGGIE
Nov 26, 2023 2:52 pm

G-Day Ianemily, a few of us have stopped using oil as it does cause problems and leaks. I just wash the bag after emptying with plain water. Regards, IGGIE

Bertha
Nov 27, 2023 6:43 am
Reply to Justbreathe

I too use baby oil daily. After rinsing my bag, I hold it upwards and let a couple of drops fall into the bag. Then I fasten the bag (Velcro) and massage the bag to lubricate it inside. Touch wood, so far I've suffered no disasters from using baby oil.

kittybou
Nov 27, 2023 10:45 am
Reply to Bertha

I will bet you anything that I used too much baby oil...

Mysterious Mose
Nov 27, 2023 8:01 pm
Reply to kittybou

Using too much is how I ended up with problems. Today, I use lubricating deodorants from Hollister and Brava. They work rather well. However, I still use water to rinse the bag. I've read others saying that using water can also be a problem for your barrier seal. But, I have not seen that. I am careful not to swish water near the stoma unless I am doing a bag change. Then, I rinse around the flange as much as I can to make the removal a little less messy.

Daniel

kittybou
Dec 01, 2023 11:21 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Pernicious? Every time I have time to stop and look that word up, something happens. It is always busy here! 😸🐕‍🦺

warrior
Dec 05, 2023 7:08 am

Did I miss something? Baby oil in the bag? A few drops? Why? Does it make the poo quickly exit?