Stage 4 turbulence

Replies
Views
Beachboy

In the early 2000's, after I completed chemotherapy.  We decided to embark on another trip to Tahiti.  A couple of hours after takeoff from LAX, I got bored and wandered to the rear of the 747 cabin.  Back there was a small podium with newspapers and magazines.  Soon I was joined by a fellow passenger.  We chatted for awhile.  He was an Onocologist from City of Hope cancer center in Duarte, CA.  And was staying at the same resort in Tahiti as my wife & I.  I related my recent chemo adventure, radiation treatments, surgeries, and the mutated thyroid cancer I was still stuck with.  He said "I know your case, you're Dan and your Onocologist at Hoag is Dr. V."  I was like... whoa.  Turns out my Onocologist had presented my case before a tumor board.  That's where Onocologists from many hospitals present their toughest cases and seek opinions about treatment options.  Because I had survived so long with both lungs full of tumors and the cells would no longer uptake iodine, he said my case was very interesting.  I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not.  I told him "that's why I'm on this trip."  Chemo did nothing, and no treatments were left I could try. 

At the resort, he always came over to say hi, tell me the tours he took with his wife.  Really nice guy.  I'll bet he would be surprised to find out I'm still around nearly 20 years later.

Livin' large with a stoma.

Hairdresser

Miracles never cease!  That’s a wonderful thing!  Glad you are still around!  God bless 😊

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Riva

Thank you for sharing and thank you for continuing to make every single day count!

Panko
Reply to Hairdresser

Great story & truly inspirational

Go well & Stay well 😊

Daisy2023

What a great story. Thanks for sharing!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Morning glory

Joining the chorus to a great story. I am happy  that you don't let anything stop you from enjoying  your life.  That is an inspiration  to us all to make every day count. My Dr.  told me  I had made the books too, somehow I didn't  feel  complimented. Now I hope my case has helped many .

Happy-but-Newbie

Well...considering my doctor told me I gave him back aches for 2 weeks, due to nearly 8 hours surgery....yours feels more like a compliment! :D

But he's a grumpy, very competent doctor who saved me and he said so smirking and satisfied about a job well done...heheh

AlexT

That’s what the doctors at the hospital I went to do…..they all get together and review each case coming up with a “group” decision on what’s the best treatment for each patient.