Questions to Ask a Wound Care Nurse About Bag Adhesion Issues

Replies
Views
Nini4
Nov 27, 2023 10:52 pm

Hello all,

I am seeing a WOC tomorrow as I am having issues with bags and adhesion (don't we all at some point?)

I am taking all the different bags and the wafer, flange I have.

For those who see a WOC, are there any questions you recommend I ask?

Thanks in advance!

CrappyColon
Nov 27, 2023 11:02 pm

Be very clear with what the issues are that you want to see resolved, especially if it's not something easy to see. Don't be afraid to push for a sample of a different brand.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Nini4
Nov 28, 2023 12:09 am
Reply to CrappyColon

Hi!

I have a list of questions going. I have requested samples of a few brands. Right now, I am having issues with Coloplast. I also use Hollister, but they are so long, and I'm so short. 🤣

Beachboy
Nov 28, 2023 12:17 am

Howdy Nini4.

Hollister has shorter bags available. I'm a small person too. I have their short bags that snap onto my wafer. Great for when I'm out shopping or going to dinner. At home, I wear the regular long bags. Talk with your medical supply company about the short bags.

Nini4
Nov 28, 2023 12:24 am

Thank you. I will make a note to call them. At home, I don't mind them, but yes, being out is a nuisance.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
Cplumber
Nov 28, 2023 2:58 am

Don't hesitate to remove your pouch to show exactly what's going on. So bring what you need if you do. Don't rush things.

DexieB
Nov 28, 2023 4:43 pm
Reply to Nini4

Yes, exactly what Beachboy said... Hollister makes a shorter one. I wear the shorter 'closed' bags at work because they don't stick out at the bottom of my shirt and are easier to change while working, and on the weekends I wear the longer drainable bags. I'm 5'2" so I can relate 100%!

Nini4
Nov 28, 2023 4:59 pm

Thank you!

Nini4
Nov 28, 2023 5:00 pm
Reply to Cplumber

Thank you. I have all my supplies with me. I imagine she will want to remove.

AlexT
Nov 28, 2023 5:22 pm
Reply to Nini4

Hollister makes little kid bags that might be better for your size.

AlexT
Nov 28, 2023 5:24 pm
Reply to Nini4

If she doesn't, require her to so she can see. Also, go through all your steps of how you change your stuff and what you use exactly. One little change that you don't think is important could be the exact thing that is responsible for your issues.

Nini4
Nov 28, 2023 6:50 pm

Thank you. I will make sure to cover all of this.

CrappyColon
Nov 30, 2023 2:51 am
Reply to Nini4

Login to see image
I'm petite too. These worked well for my height (only ostomy system out of 8 my skin didn't have a reaction to - companies don't tell patients/providers what adhesives and dyes they use). Kinda hard to tell in the picture, but the second one that shows the backside has an extra little ‘pocket' (idk what to call it) that you can tuck a little more into to make it just a little shorter, which can make a difference. Some other short women may have totally different opinions on this, but a 2-piece system was too bulky for me, and we found they used a different adhesive because of the two pieces (assuming to make it stronger) that my skin decided to hate anyway. A one-piece has a slimmer profile, in my opinion, but definitely to each his/her own on that. ☺️

Nini4
Nov 30, 2023 11:48 am
Reply to CrappyColon

Thank you! I tried one piece of that brand. I liked it, but had trouble with adhesion. Part of that could be I was trying to learn how to do all this with a wound vac pump right next to my stoma site, making it difficult.

The pump is gone, so now I just have to learn what works.