Antibiotics

Replies
Views
Past Member

Best way to take antibiotic capsules with an ilyostomy? Is it best to open them and put into something like a food or a yoghurt? Are they okay to take with an ilyostomy or can they cause high output. Just curious really 

Thanks 

Axl

Hello Nikki

In the early days when food would fly through me, the doc told me to grind the anti biotic tablet up and put it in some water to avoid it going straight through, tastes like crap but works well. So I would of suggest taking a capsule as normal wouldn't be an issue.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rose Bud 🌹

Some antibiotics YOU CAN'T GRIND UP. I took them whole and YES certain ones can cause more output...Check with your Doctor first before tring to grind them!!!

warrior
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

Absolutely!!! spot on!!! Rose Bud🤗

check with your doctor first !!!

a lot of doctors just give you these tablets and capsules and they don't even think how its going to pass right through you or how they actually get dissolved or absorbed...

and I recall certain medications need a "quick dissolve" label or a quick dissolve understanding.. and I believe Nikki said it was a capsule which I would believe would be possible to take apart and spread it out onto something but a tablet ?? I think the tablet could be crushed unless coated..hmm .hmm..and there are warnings not to crush " take whole" ...which should be written on the container.. but you're right!!

definitely needs to check with her doctor and I don't know abt other suggestions  but usually they also recommend crushing with applesauce and I'm told the applesauce is a binding agent so that's something to think about pour it over applesauce. ... maybe ??? or ask your abt liquid form for better absorption. there are a few liquid form antibiotics i use..

good luck

Ben38

Try them in the capsule first see what happens. I'm prone to abscess so take them quite often I just swallow the capsule and never had any problems and surprisingly even to my GP I never get loose output from them but that is a side affect you can get.  Recently  finished taking Flucloaxcillin 500mg 

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Riva

I would suggest rather than capsule format  have pharmacy do it in pill form.   Keep things simple .

JVM261

I sound like a broken record I know, but I am new to the ileostomy stuff and part of it is because I took antibiotics before hand and that’s part of why I lost my colon because of the CDIFF. That said, I had to take antibiotics again recently and I don’t know if it’s because my body is sensitive but I was screaming because the acid was a lot in my stomach. I was supposed to take 800 mg of Bactrim twice a day and they changed it to something less strong which I don’t remember right now, but the game changer was an ant acid a little bit of ant acid in a cream like liquid form helped The pain a lot so I could tolerate it. I know that’s not directly related to your post, but I thought I would share in case it helps anybody. I didn’t know that having a colon help makes things less acidic and then the antibiotics can cause more acid so a little bit of ant acid seems to help, but I also would like to avoid antibiotics altogether at this point if it’s possible but it’s not always possible, of course.