Ziploc bag for bag change prep and travel

Replies
Views
JVM261

Forgive me, if somebody else already posted about this and they probably did but it’s a new discovery to me. 
I have frequently forgotten my silicone ring when I do bag changes. Today I had to do a bag change rather randomly after changing only two days ago, and it made me upset. I forgot the silicone ring, The silicone ring with an ostomy, particularly with the ileostomy really helps me. But if I forget it, it’s not like I can take everything off because it doesn’t stick good after that probably preaching to the choir when I say that, but I had to explain that as my friend said take it off and put it back with the ring, she couldn’t understand why I couldn’t do it, but I’ve tried and it doesn’t work. So anyway everything I need for a bag change is in a Ziploc bag and then if it pops off, you can grab the Ziploc bag and run into the bathroom. It’s a simple idea, but it’s genius to me. And you guys know since this happened in September with little warning I’m very depressed. I’m panicking so her idea is really helpful For me as I begin the bag changes this year to have this prep work done in advance. So in my bag, I have the actual ostomy bag, of course. The barrier, the silicone ring, Barrier wipe adhesive remover wipe. I should put the tape in there, but the tape is irritating me so I’m taking a break. I have the stoma powder. The actual barrier or I should say appliance I have it pre-cut because my stoma isn’t changing right right now. I think it’s great because the actual Ziploc bag can be used for emptying if you’re not near a toilet So I’m gonna use it for travel, but it’s also great just to have a few of them in home, I have 3, and to have the appliance pre-cut is great. I may add one of the measuring tools and a small bag of baby wipes. Maybe the scissors,Maybe a garbage bag. I mean, essentially, It’s like having a bunch of travel stoma prep bags for in-home use. I just thought I would share that in case it helps anybody especially people new to this. 

IGGIE

G-Day JVM261,  Whatever works for you is the right thing. Enjoy the New Year with your new knowledge.  Regards IGGIE x 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,506 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl

Hi J

Good for you, there are various ways to deal with changes on the run, for example a smaller plastic rubbish bag and a collapsible bin/bowl/container to safely cradle the rubbish bag. All requiring very little space to store.

JVM261
Reply to Axl

I also find the silicone measuring cups helpful for being on the go with the Illiostomy. That’s probably the one good thing the hospital taught me. That and those little diamond (name brand)  things  that soak up the water. They are expensive, but good for on the go travel too.

JVM261

I’m up after my third bag change today. I’m not sure what’s happening. It’s about 5 AM here and I just finished bag change number three. Number one was in the early morning and number two was right before bed around midnight. I have never had so many leaks in one day. I usually cook rice in the pressure cooker since I got a stoma, but my friend insisted on cooking it in the pot, and it wasn’t soft enough, but it wasn’t that hard. Just a little… I think the prep bags have been my saving grace for tonight. I’m exhausted, but it made the change much easier. And I’m much more relaxed.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Axl

I'm pretty sure it won't be the rice, if you have been going well so far it may just be a glitch in your setup, multiple leaks do take a toll but I'm sure you will get on top of it 😃

ron in mich

Hi JVM when you take the flange/wafer off look at the side that sticks to your skin and see if there is an area that is eroded away more than the rest of the flange and maybe add some paste or a peice of a ring in that area to build it up, i have a dip at the bottom of my stoma so i put a peice of a ring there and then the whole ring on top so its flat and the wafer on then.  good luck

JVM261
Reply to ron in mich

It was usually the left side. I don’t know what it means paste? I try to do the powder barrier wipe paste thing, but that didn’t help. Is there a Special tube paste? The first Bag change I forgot the  gel ring, the Second, I made  gel ring too big, The third The output was like cement needed things to be thicker, but that was ridiculous, and it was sitting too close to the top of bag. Now that I have time to think about everything and I’m more awake, I think that was why so many changes. Ugh. I’m learning. Thanks for the help.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to ron in mich

I've managed to solve my erosion problems simply by going to a convex wafer. It was that simple for me and I feel very lucky for that. It was a year this past Friday since I was blessed with my attachment. I am hoping I can continue the lucky streak. 😎

Daniel

IGGIE

Every time you make a mistake you learn from it. it's only time for you get it just right and it all works for you. Keep learning.  IGGIE