Do you think I can put Velcro on my bags that came with a clip?

Replies
Views
JVM261

The rehab gave me the Velcro bags from Hollister, and when I came home, the insurance gave me the old-fashioned cheap bags with the clip. I have limited hand movement in one hand and the Velcro works for me and my surgeon Is already talking to the insurance to pay for the expensive bags. Has anybody tried to get from the craft store?  Do you think I could turn a clip bag into a Velcro bag? 

AlexT

No, no way craft store velcro would seal/hold up to sticking to your bag. Just have your doctor rewrite the prescription with the exact model number of the bag you want along with whatever accessories you need also. And if your prescription is a 30 day or 90 day prescription, you may have to wait to get the Velcro ones on your next prescription order. You could always buy some on your own or ask on here or thru a local ostomy organization to get a few to last til your new prescription arrives. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,531 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

Well.. if it didn't work.. you'd find out in a crappy way.

Mysterious Mose

Do you have a local ostomy support group? If you do and if it is like the one I attend, they have lots of samples. Perhaps they can help tide you over until you can get the insurance straightened out. What insurance do you have that requires you to have crappy equipment??

Daniel

Justbreathe

My most successful equipment to date (3+years)  has been the crappy bag (clear, crackly with a clamp of ginormous power to stop that shiz from leakage).   I have tried others and I do love the Velcro out spout and I can see your need to need that system.  I have tried 2 different Velcro spouts and press as to secure the Velcro they both leaked on each side (a very tiny space) of the Velcro.  So far as much as I dislike the clamp I would double dog dare ya that leakage is worse.  No do it yourself Velcro could possibly stand up to the pressure.  Just my personal tip and failed experiences.  I wrote about the Velcro bags a while back on this site.💩🫣

jb 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Justbreathe

I’ve used velcro closed Hollister bags from the start, I’ve never had an issue with it not sealing up. Now, I’ve read on here that people had a problem but then they have said it was their fault cause they didn’t get pressed together enough. My ostomy nurs showed me the clipped bags and I hated them from the start. 🤷‍♂️

Jayne

Only you know whether you 'can'

You need no permission to try.

Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

Yep, I see many who use with no issue - I gave that Velcro a supper pressing as was stated on here and per instructions - the problem was not the Velcro but the very tiny area next to it where there is no Velcro at all - (ileostomates tend to have liquid output) and that is where the breach occurred - small leak but any leak is unacceptable in my ostomy world….pass the clamp please…over and out….jb

warrior

industrial velcro will hold that tail closed.  but.. fingers, if arthritic will be tough tearing it apart to drain..

3M brand. will work no cheap stuff from food store..

im sure u have protective sheets or bed liners as we all do..

warrior
Reply to Justbreathe

never had bag leaks from the velcro..nope..dry as cotton..however...the barrier seal..is my issue where it leaks.

luckily those C type elastic strips hold the blow buying time..God send.

i did see a thread stating some bags had tiny holes in them. i forgot who posted it recently..dunno if this has anything to do with that. defective bags?  gives new meaning to " holy shitz"

IGGIE

G-Day JVM,I just had a thought. If you remove the Clip and fold the bag over you can hold it together with my invention the IGGIE Clip, see photos. Give it a go and let me know how you went. I glued a magnet onto the clip to hold it together after you close it.   Regards IGGIE

Justbreathe
Reply to warrior

You are correct about industrial type Velcro - the problem is getting each piece of that Velcro to stick to the bag….short of stitching it on with a sewing machine it will not hold to the bag - as a used car salesman would say “I garintee it!” 🤪. jb

Happytostillbehere

Been using the idea that Iggie suggested for more than a year. Don't use the magnet, haven't had any problems with it. Works great.

Beachboy

You could also try 2 IGGIE clips.  One on each side of the closure.  Also try doing 2 roll ups of the bag drain, then putting on clips.

It is hard to push the velcro together, especially with sensitive/weakened fingers.  I bought a small, hand held roller.  I put new bag velcro together, lay it on my sink, then run the roller over it while pushing down.  Seals evenly. 

After emptying a bag, I hold the bags' end upward, squeeze remaing output in the velcro seal area back down into the bag.  If output remains in that area, velcro is hard to seal because output makes the sealing surfaces squishy, not firm.  Once the sealing area is fairly clean of output, I fold up velcro seal, lightly press it together.  Put bag end on sink or other flat surface, and use roller to firmly seal velcro.  Roll up once, put on IGGIE clip.

AlexT
Reply to Beachboy

Huh? You push output back down? I rinse my bag out and then wipe down into the bag a finger’s length so there is nothing when I fold the bag’s end up. Except for a little bit of moisture that’s left when I rinse it out, my bag is pretty much completely clean. I press the Velcro from the middle out and you can hear/feel it click as it seals. 

JVM261
Reply to IGGIE

Sorry I haven’t been responding to a lot of these. I’ve just been feeling down but I’m reading everything. I actually do use one of those clips as extra safety on the Velcro, sometimes especially at night. Thank you all for all of your responses for right now. I have enough bags with the Velcro that I wanted to know what to do with the ones that didn’t have the Velcro. Thank you, everybody for your opinions.

Beachboy
Reply to AlexT

I just empty it.  There is a little residue left.  That's what I clear from the sealing area.  At work, I don't have the ability to rinse the bag.  And I'm not gonna pop on a new bag each time.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Beachboy

It is my understanding you work in an office. You don't have tap water at work or a place to keep a water bottle?

Daniel

AlexT
Reply to Beachboy

Like Mysterious said, a simple water bottle at your desk and a bathroom. 🤷‍♂️ I always have water with me to rinse or an empty water bottle to fill in a bathroom along with biodegradable wet wipes. The only issue I’ve ever had is emptying when I’m duck hunting and the water and wet wipes freeze. 🥶 it makes it comical especially with frozen chest waders on to try and get down. 😁

Beachboy

Don't work in an office.  Usually toil away my fading life in a clean room Hibay wearing a full "bunny suit" and ESD attachments.  Finding an open bathroom stall is always a challenge.  Bathroom?  Should be re-christened "The Library" or cell phone lounge.  Beeps, boops, and clicks enamate from each little cubicle.  With an occasional burst of music.  Thus....I must  hunt somewhere else to empty da bag.  I work at a huge facility.  Dozens of Hibays, offices. Engineering, and manufacturing buildings.  Takes time to walk to them, badge myself in, and start another round of toliet roulette. 

Jayne
Reply to Beachboy

Your tolerance is amazing - I mean having to withdrw because others are occupying cubicles you could use for your loo management:

This coupled with the realisation that others simply have no real understanding of what makes the work go round - [other than their own]!

Personally there would be a certain 'containment-of-self' required for me in those circumstances - because they would iterate for me the feeling of 'difference' and because of the need to take a longer route to 'do my looing' a weakness is emphasised and so much active postive self motivation - particulalry if/ when timely address is required!

Clearly BB you have a special charater and resilious nature - which is evident with your own med/ life bio.

I feel somehow you are demonstrably a lesson for us all - I mean you have that asset of 'allowing the wind to blow through you' - as the Chinese may say .... and perhaps that is your saving grace - all water off a ducks back - and you keep paddling and enjoying the stream.

• Hats off -
  • :-)

I sometimes feel there are few like us - For at times I have to work so hard to keep the 'up-curve'

But then, my understanding is replaced with a quite 'knowing' - that everybody here finds their way through!

BW

for a lovely day

Hisbiscus

I use clips with my convatec and to tell you the truth I trust the clip. It's  much cleaner. I've tried velcro bags and leaked at the bag opening. Could have been defective but then again poo will always get on that velcro at one  point. At least with the clip it's secured as long as you clip it right. Also you can wash off the clip with soap and water after emptying if your close enough to the sink. 

R1Kirby
Reply to IGGIE

I use a clip and it solved all the problems. No surprises.

IGGIE
Reply to R1Kirby

xx

JVM261

If anyone here wants my bags with the clip and the barrier/base parts message me and if you are in the US I will send them free. They are brand Securi T USA Ref 7238214 for both base plate and bags they have the same number. Each bag box holds 10 bags and each base plate box holds five of them. I Believe I have about 60 bags and 30 base plates. Again, all free as I was told I can’t return them. I have enough hollister from eBay for some months until I can get this mess with the insurance sorted out I rather donate them than waste them. They are definitely for people with an ostomy with lite output not people like me who have an ileostomy with a lot of output. I would say it’s more for a colostomy these bags. Again, with very little output. Who ever responds first will get them. If no one responds from here within a week I can donate them to the office of my Doctor and I will remove this comment.