Ostomy support garments

Replies
Views
Hisbiscus

How to get smell out of ostomy support garments. They have already been washed umpteen times but still have barnyard smell. Have asked this on other forums as well trying to get all opinions.

Morning glory

Try rinsing in vinegar. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,590 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus
Reply to Morning glory

I have tried that before but the vinegar does not seem ro rinse out well. 

warrior

hii.. interesting request. thanks for asking...

do u allow any garment or support belt to soak?

if my mounting plate leaks, the belt and sheets get soaked in  regular wash soap.

if sheets and comforter are really bad i toss them in trash.yea expensive..too. that odor lingers all over the house. febreeze comes to mind..the spray..

its quite disgusting to deal with.. you agree? 

i use shout to get the stains out of my osty support belt. no odors..

cant get the stains all of it out. always a mild stain left..

but soaking for hours..i find helps and is cost effective.

there are all kinds of washer drop in being advertised on t.v.

stain vs odor is challenging but never heard complains abt yur issues..

yup.. you are the first.. and this might seem uncomfortable but i shower with my thin support belt on. and away goes trouble down the drain. 😆

Hisbiscus
Reply to warrior

Hi,

I have not tried soaking regularly but I did it one time. I'm not leaking at all but if I did I'd just throw away. Too much trouble for me. So, it's just I guess coming from maybe the bag end? Im.very clean about things but it guess this ileostomy poop just smells so badly. I use m9 odor drops as well. Maybe i should try soaking regularly as it may be my only answer. Someone else mentioned on another forum the same thing but they use a work out clothing soap called rockin green. I may have to invest my time in doing this. I was hoping tp find an easier solution as I'm so busy working and such. 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT

My wraps/belt have no odor. 🤷‍♂️ I wear the same wrap for usually 5 days before switching cause of work, no smelly wraps. 

Hisbiscus
Reply to AlexT

I used to be able to do that as well. I could wear them a few days. It's really gotten me baffled as to why now? The past two years have been a stinky and sticky problem.