ostomy reversal

Replies
Views
clairebrownedelmar

I finally have a date for my reversal surgery.  It's March 27.  My doctor isn't very informative so I'm reaching out to ask about the recovery.  I have all my "parts,"  - nothing has been removed or altered.  I'm told this should make it easier.  I've had this ostomy bag for about 3 years.  Have been to pelvic therapy for about 2 years to strengthen muscles and learn how to poop. 

I'm wondering how the recovery will be.  I'm be in the hospital for 2 nights.  When I'm home, will I be able to take walks?  How tied to the bathroom will I be?  About how long before I have a regular poop?  How long before I can be away from a bathroom?  What kind of foods can I eat or not eat?  When will I be able to go out without worrying about having problems?

I'd be very grateful to hear of other's experiences.  Thank you.

gentlejohn

It is difficult to comment on what to expect without knowing what kind of stoma you have and why you had your stoma.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,582 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Dogen\'s bag

During my hospital stay for my Hartmann reversal walking was imperative to healing. 

The poop came rather naturally by the 2nd morning and I remember the moment as I was ecstatic in my head. Not a momentous amount but the pipes were working and easily.  My first gas moment was also pretty cool.  

I was eating like normal within a few days but the caveat was I took myself off of the diluaded and regained my appetite.   

You got this!!!

clairebrownedelmar
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

Thank you!

clairebrownedelmar
Reply to gentlejohn

My questions about a reversal weren't really addressed, even though I asked them several times.  This was  was disappointing.  However, I have now had the reversal and things are going well.  10 days post surgery the pain is manageable and I am now having bowel movements regularly.  Some are runny but are firming up gradually.

I've been on this site for several years and have benefited from reading other's experiences, for which I am grateful.  I only wish I could have had a better resonse the few times I needed it.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
clairebrownedelmar
Reply to gentlejohn

Not helpful