Rectal Stump

Replies
Views
Janlee

I’ve had my Colostomy for 3 years & I’ve not passed any mucus since a colonoscopy in August 2022…I feel pressure but nothing passes. Tried Microlax but didn’t work. I’m getting really nervous about it thinking the staple might pop. I’ve booked to see the surgeon but can’t get in for a cpl of months .., any suggestions appreciated. 

Beth22

Have you tried an enema ?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,607 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Night owl

Sometimes I pass mucous and sometimes I don't. You can try just flushing with some warm water, kind of like an enema or an actual enema. I have irrigated my colostomy and just did the rectal stump at the same time. Used a cone tip. Hope that helps!

warrior

ileo here. i am told with a colo u can take days to pass anything .. so is yur question about not passing anything being plugged? mucus? is that something over poop?  

obviously , if pain or no bm,  enema might help..or get to e.r. and sort it out. u mentioned pressure but not pain.. trapped gas perhaps?

2SelfBTru

I have had a colostomy sense 2017, I did not want it but the doctor told me I had to have it after the colon resection did not work. After six months he wanted to reattach my colon, I said NO, I had gotten OK with the colostomy. In fact better than OK with it, I had been in and out of the hospital for many, many years with bowel blockage and after six months and not one hospital visit I knew it was a life saver. At four years of having it I started having mucus drainage from my rectum stump. It intensified to the place where it was a constant drainage and I was thinking of having my stump removed and rectum sewed shut. (Barbie butt) But I came onto this website and went to the forums and found a link for people who have mucus drainage and found a person in one of the chats that told me what he had found out and what he did. I tried his solution and it worked for me. The mucus stopped. BUT when I would do an enema nothing would drain out and still doesn't. I am not having any problems so am not worried about it but think that maybe my hemroids are now blocking drainage. Don't know if this is possible but it is what I am thinking right now. Things change so I am learning. Hope in some way this helps and or that you find an answer.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister